Christopher Parkinson of Storys
Add Reply
Robert O'Connor
2017-04-08 10:51:00 UTC
I am researching the following family:

++++++

CHRISTOPHER PARKINSON, of Burneston, Co. Yorks., Born c. 1480. M -- . He had issue:

1.Thomas (Rev), M.A., B.D., of Willingham, Co. Cambs., Born 1510 at Burneston. Educ. Cambridge University. His entry in ‘Alumni Cantabrigienses’, Part 1, Earliest Times to 1751’ reads as follows – “B.A., 1534/5, M.A., 1537, B.D., 1545, One of the original fellows of Trinity, 1546, Ord[ained] priest Lincoln, 13 March 1534/5, Fellow of Michael House, R[ector] of Orwell, Cambs. Until 1586, V[icar] of Wimpole, 1551. R[ector] of Willingham, 1554. Died 1586. Benefactor to Magdalene”. He was appointed Rector of Wimpole, Co. Cambs., 5 Nov. 1551. He was appointed Rector of Orwell, Co. Cambs., 1551. He was appointed Rector of Willingham, Co. Cambs., 5 May 1554. According to the ‘VCH History of Cambridgeshire’ article for Willingham – “From the 16th century the wealthy living consistently attracted the well connected, particularly heads of Cambridge colleges. Lancelot Ridley, rector 1545-54, was a first cousin of Bishop Ridley of London & a notable protestant exegete. He was assisted in his parochial duties c. 1546 by the chantry priest. Ridley's successor & brother-in-law Thomas Parkinson conformed under Elizabeth & retained his benefices, but in 1561 neither he nor the curate preached regularly. From Ridley's time wills made by Willingham men showed reformed religious opinions, but several men were presented for non-attendance at church between 1560 & 1600”. It was recorded in the ‘Reports of the Commissioners to Inquire Concerning Charities’ as follows – “With regard to the West Field land, we find that the Reverend Thomas Parkinson, B.D., formerly gave two closes, called Skinthorpe Closes, at Cusworth, near Doncaster, for the use of the school; & at a meeting of the corporation of Richmond, held on the 21st October 1718, it was unanimously ordered by the mayor & the aldermen, as governors of the possessions of the school, with the consent of the common council, then present, that the Skinthorpe closes, then of the yearly value of £5 should be exchanged with Lyonel Copley, esquire, for the above mentioned 10 acres, in the West Field, & the exchange took place accordingly”. At the grant of probate of the will of his brother-in-law, Rev. Dr. Lancelot Ridley, he deposed as follows – “Deposition Thomas Parkinson made 19 day of the month of October Anno Domini 1571 – Thomas Parkinson, Parson of Willingham of the age of threescore [60] borne [sic] in Burneston in the County of Yorks .. & his said deposition is as followeth – For that he witnessed the will & testament republished by the said Margaret Slater executrix sole of the will if the saide [sic] Lancelot…bequeathed to John Rydley [sic] of Wylingham [sic] be taken away by the said departed Lancelot Ridley in consideration of a bequest of xl s for buying …”, 19 Oct. 1571. Will dated 10 Dec. 1582 (with codicil dated 13 Jan. 1584/5) – in which he was described as “Thomas Parkinsonne [sic] of Willinghame [sic] in the County of Cambridge Clerk” & in which he appointed Sir Christopher Wray, Lord Chief Justice of England, to be his executor, & made a bequest of £200 to “my cozen [sic] Thomas Parkenson [sic] of Burneston [Co. Yorks.] & to my cozin [sic] his wife” & devised “for the terme [sic] of his life all suche [sic] lands as I have in the County of Lincoln & after his decease I give the saide [sic] landes [sic] unto Christopher & William Parkinson his two eldest sonnes [sic]” & provided “I give to Magdalene College in Cambridge as it shall be thought convenient by my Lord Chief Justice of England & to be employed by him defyring [sic] his honour for Gods sake to extend his Lordshippes [sic] friendship towards my nephewe [sic] Mark Ridley to place him fellowe [sic] in that house or else where” & further provided “I give & bequeath to Margaret Slater my natural sister & her children viz Henry Ridley, Mark Ridley, Marye [sic] Nightingale, Susan Cranforth & Elizabeth Cole all such sume [sic] or sumes [sic] of money as Robert Siston of Hemingforth do at present instant owe unto me to be distributed unto them at the discretion of George Slater Doctor of Divinity & my cozen [sic] Christopher Parkinson”, the codicil to the will of which was witnessed by Rev. Leonard Nightingale, the husband of his niece Mary Ridley. Died 1586. Will Proved at P.C.C., 2 April 1586.

2.Edmund, of Allerthorpe, Co. Yorks., M Susan (She M 1st Francis Lascelles, of Allerthorpe – who was Bur. 29 April 1567 at Burneston), d. of Christopher Wandesford, of Kirklington, Co. Yorks. & his wife Anne, d. of Sir John Norton, Kt., of Norton Conyers. Recorded as “Edmund Parkinson, of Allerthorpe, gentleman” he entered into a deed with “John Dunne, of Sowerby, husband” concerning the sale of a messuage & land at Burneston, Co. Yorks., 1583. He was mentioned in the will of his brother Thomas as “my brother Edmund Parkinson”, 13 Jan. 1584/5. He had issue:

3.Margaret, Born c. 1515. M 1st REV. DR. LANCELOT RIDLEY, M.A., D.D. (Bur. 16 June 1570 at Stetham, Co. Cambs. – recorded in the burial register as “Master Doctor Rydley”). M 2nd before 19 Oct. 1571 (as his 2nd wife) Rev. Dr. George Slater, D.D., M.A., of Bainton, Co. Yorks. (His entry in ‘Alumni Cantabrigienses’, Part 1, Earliest Times to 1751’ reads as follows – “Slater, George. Matric[ulated] sizar from Trinity, Michs., 1560; Scholar, 1563; B.A. 1564-5; M.A., 1568; B.D., 1575; D.D., 1584; Fellow, 1565; Ord[ained] deacon (Ely) July 29, 1565. University Preacher, 1570. R[ector] of Alderston, Suffolk, 1571-1. R[ector] of Bulmer, Yorks, 1572-85. R[ector] of Bainton, 1573-90. Married Thomasina, d. of Archbishop [of York] Matthew Hutton. Buried at Bainton, Aug. 19, 1590”. Prebendary of Barnby, Co. Yorks., 1574-90. He was mentioned in the will of his brother-in-law Rev. Thomas Parkinson as “George Slater Doctor of Divinity”, 13 Jan. 1584/5. Died 5 Aug. 1590. Bur. 19 Aug. 1590 at Bainton, Co. Yorks.). She was mentioned in her husband’s will as “Margaret Ridlie [sic] my wife”, 1570. Recorded as “Margaret Slater the relict & widow of Lancelot Rydley Doctor or Divinity & Parson of Stretham” she was granted probate of her 1st husband’s will, 19 Oct. 1571. She was mentioned in the will of her brother Rev. Thomas Parkinson (d 1586) with her mother & siblings as follows – “I give & bequeath to Margaret Slater my natural sister & her children viz Henry Ridley, Mark Ridley, Marye [sic] Nightingale, Susan Cranforth & Elizabeth Cole all such sume [sic] or sumes [sic] of money as Robert Siston of Hemingforth do at present instant owe unto me to be distributed unto them at the discretion of George Slater Doctor of Divinity & my cozen [sic] Christopher Parkinson”, 13 Jan. 1584/5. She had issue by her 1st husband:

++++++

Searching for references to Christopher Parkinson in Yorkshire, I find in Dugdale's 'Visitation of Yorkshire' & in the Visitation of Yorkshire, 1563 & 1564 reference to a "Christopher Parkinson of Storeys" marrying Isabel, d. of William Clapham of Beamsley & his wife Jane Scargill.

This Isabel appears to have been born circa 1480, which is a good chronological fit for the wife of Christopher Parkinson of Burneston and presumably the mother of his children.

However, Isabel's husband is referred to in the Yorkshire Visitations as being of "Storys".

Unfortunatlely, I haven't been able to locate a place named "Storys" in Yorkshire and I am wondering if the "Christopher Parkinson of Storys" could be one and the same as "Christopher Parkinson of Burneston"?

All comments welcome.

Best wishes
Robert O'Connor
Vance Mead
2017-04-08 11:15:14 UTC
I suppose this must be him in Hilary term 1533:

Yorks. George Jakson, of Bedaell, yeoman; Joan Jakson, of Bedaell, widow; and Christopher Parkynson, of Burnyston, yeoman, attached to answer William Dyxson, for trespass breach of close at Gatynby.

First entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H8/CP40no1076/bCP40no1076dorses/IMG_5683.htm
Robert O'Connor
2017-04-08 22:59:04 UTC
Thank you Vance, that certainly looks like the Christopher Parkinson, of Burneston that I am chasing.
Vance Mead
2017-04-09 04:18:51 UTC
There are two places in Yorkshire called Storrs, one in Ecclesfield and the other in Silkstone.
Robert O'Connor
2017-04-09 04:29:11 UTC
Given that both of these places called Storrs are some distance from Burneston I think it is fair to say that these two Christopher Parkinsons must have been different men, albeit likely contemporaries.
Ian Goddard
2017-04-09 16:47:17 UTC
Post by Vance Mead
There are two places in Yorkshire called Storrs, one in Ecclesfield and the other in Silkstone.
But see this location right next to Burniston
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=499783&y=493233&z=120&sv=499783,493233&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=788&ax=499783&ay=493233&lm=0

Ian
--
Hotmail is my spam bin. Real address is ianng
at austonley org uk
Vance Mead

at austonley org uk
a***@gmail.com
Robert O'Connor
a***@gmail.com
2018-11-19 16:22:20 UTC
Post by Robert O'Connor
++++++
[...]
19/11/2018
Hi Robert
==========
Came across this blog whilst looking for information on Parkinson family associated with Wandesforde's of Kirklington c. 1640's. My connection is the
possibility that when Wandesforde brought colonists from Kirklington (Yorkshire) to Idough (Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland) in c. 1640's one of them was a Parkinson who later testified to authorities regarding atrocities in 1641 Irish Rebellion. My ancestors seem to have moved about 10-20 miles from Castlecomer as they now seem to be living in Roskelton, close to Abbeyleix, Co. Laois today.
On my search reading Memoirs of Christopher Wandesforde I have seen references to a Christopher Parkinson of Burneston buying Slenningford Hall in June 1611. This seems to tie in with Thomas Parkinson of Burneston who died in 1613.
It is early in my research on this vein but I do not want to spend a lot of time going down the same road if perhaps we are on the same quest.
If you are related to the famous Irish athlete Peter O Connor of Waterford then we should meet up as my grandmother was a Halley who married a Parkinson (Edward).
Can you help?
Ted Hoyne. 19/11/2018 e mail ***@gmail.com
j***@freshfoodexpress.co.uk
2018-11-20 14:59:25 UTC
Post by Robert O'Connor
[...]
As an historical geographer, I love this sort of thing, so I went and looked up all these places on google maps to find that "Storiths" lies just to the east of Bolton Abbey about a kilometre north of Beamsley and so 30 kilometres (20 miles) west of Burneston. Could that be the place? It would seem more likely for the marriage...