MyHeritage Reveals: Boris Johnson Is Related to the New EU President
Olivier
2019-12-03 23:15:08 UTC
Can we trust this kindhip between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen ?

https://blog.myheritage.com/2019/12/myheritage-reveals-boris-johnson-is-related-to-the-next-eu-president/
Andrew Lancaster
2019-12-04 11:23:37 UTC
Post by Olivier
Can we trust this kindhip between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen ?
https://blog.myheritage.com/2019/12/myheritage-reveals-boris-johnson-is-related-to-the-next-eu-president/
You'd think they could find something more recent with Johnson's German connections?

Technically by the way, you'd think medieval genealogists would be careful about titles. There is no single president of the EU :) There are several institutions with presidents.

By chance I have looked at part of the family tree of the new president of the European Council. It is quite difficult to untangle all the Michels (often spelled Michij in the register) in 18th century Zétrud Lumay, which is right on the language frontier in Brabant.
wjhonson
2019-12-04 18:14:30 UTC
It is a pet peeve of mine when people make headlines like "Ancestry shows that..." or "Gedmatch proves that..."

The actual work is being done by a human, and that person should be named.
wjhonson
2019-12-04 18:16:47 UTC
It is a pet peeve of mine when people make headlines like "Ancestry shows that..." or "Gedmatch proves that..."
The actual work is being done by a human, and that person should be named.
By hiding who the humans are that did this work of connecting them, it lends a certain air of authority which the underlying work *does* *not* *have*.

Any amateur can "use Geni" to prove that Santa Claus is a cousin of Horton the elephant. That does not make it true in any reality that we should be enjoying.
lmahler
2019-12-04 20:03:54 UTC
Post by Olivier
Can we trust this kindhip between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen ?
https://blog.myheritage.com/2019/12/myheritage-reveals-boris-johnson-is-related-to-the-next-eu-president/
The will of John Beauchamp, died 1475, was published in Testamenta Vetusta:

https://archive.org/details/testamentavetust01nico/page/338

The footnote implies that John had only one son, Richard Beauchamp.

The same information is stated here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Beauchamp,_1st_Baron_Beauchamp_(fifth_creation)

Also, Francis Wakeman of Connecticut does not appear to have any royal descent.

The people at MyHeritage must be very inexperienced, because they could have
easily found a better, documented connection between these two people.

Leslie
wjhonson
2019-12-05 18:45:40 UTC
Post by lmahler
Post by Olivier
Can we trust this kindhip between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen ?
https://blog.myheritage.com/2019/12/myheritage-reveals-boris-johnson-is-related-to-the-next-eu-president/
https://archive.org/details/testamentavetust01nico/page/338
The footnote implies that John had only one son, Richard Beauchamp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Beauchamp,_1st_Baron_Beauchamp_(fifth_creation)
Also, Francis Wakeman of Connecticut does not appear to have any royal descent.
The people at MyHeritage must be very inexperienced, because they could have
easily found a better, documented connection between these two people.
Leslie
"Myheritage" did not even do this work.

"Using Geni.com, MyHeritage researchers discovered..."

so random unnamed amateurs used a website created by random unnamed amateurs to make outrageous claims easily refutable.

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.
Olivier
2019-12-07 08:16:24 UTC
What do you think about this chart ?

win 1653 William Ligon †1764 Sarah Hancock †1728
| | |
Joseph Nichols 1680-1732/1733 Joseph Ligon †1752 William Moseley 1692-1779
| | |
Elizabeth Nichols Martha Ligon Matthew Moseley
| | |

| |
Hannah Wakelee 1751-1778 Joseph Moseley 1764-1835
| |
Ebenezer Frisbie 1773-1835 Pamela Moseley
| |
Hannah Frisbie 1792-1844 Lewis Ford Robertson 1825-1904
| |
Henry Clinton Porter 1825 Edward Twells Robertson 1856-1914
| |
Henry Clinton Porter 1851 Mary Ladson Robertson 1883-1960
| |
Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter 1877-1963 Carl Albrecht 1902-1965
| |
Frances Beatrice Lowe 1913-2001 Ernst Albrecht 1930-2014
| |
Charlotte Fawcett 1942 Ursula Albrecht 1958

Boris Johnson 1964
Olivier
2019-12-07 08:19:01 UTC
Post by Olivier
Can we trust this kindhip between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen ?
https://blog.myheritage.com/2019/12/myheritage-reveals-boris-johnson-is-related-to-the-next-eu-president/
//
Thomas de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick 1339-1411
& Catherine Ufflete

John Beauchamp †1475

Richard Beauchamp, Lord Beauchamp of Powyke †1502

Anne Beauchamp †1534

Richard Lygon 1490-1556

William Lygon 1512-1567

Thomas Lygon †1603

Thomas Ligon †/1626

Thomas Ligon /1624

| |
William Ligon 1653 Johanna Ligon †1689
| |
William Ligon †1764 Sarah Hancock †1728
| |
Joseph Ligon †1752 William Moseley 1692-1779
| |
Martha Ligon Matthew Moseley
| |

Joseph Moseley 1764-1835

Pamela Moseley

Lewis Ford Robertson 1825-1904

Edward Twells Robertson 1856-1914

Mary Ladson Robertson 1883-1960

Carl Albrecht 1902-1965

Ernst Albrecht 1930-2014

Ursula Albrecht 1958

Thomas de Beauchamp, Earl of Warwick 1339-1411

Elizabeth de Beauchamp 1396-1430

Thomas Butler, Earl of Ormonde 1424-1515

Margaret Butler

Alice Boleyn †1538

John Clere 1511-1557

Edmond Clere

Anne Clere

Temperance Gilbert

Elizabeth Alsop ca 1625-1669

Mary Alsop Baldwin 1653

Joseph Nichols 1680-1732/1733

Elizabeth Nichols

Hannah Wakelee 1751-1778

Ebenezer Frisbie 1773-1835

Hannah Frisbie 1792-1844

Henry Clinton Porter 1825

Henry Clinton Porter 1851

Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter 1877-1963

Frances Beatrice Lowe 1913-2001

Charlotte Fawcett 1942

Boris Johnson 1964
wjhonson
2019-12-10 22:46:39 UTC
Post by Olivier
Post by Olivier
[...]
What a horrifying mass of nonsense.
I mean the *very* first link is broken and you would think people would be much more particular about their FIRST link....
P J Evans
2019-12-10 22:58:18 UTC
Post by Olivier
Post by Olivier
[...]
Per "Ancestors of American Presidents (2009), this is wrong. It should be:

Edward I, King of England, d 1307 m Eleanor of Castile

Elizabeth of England m Humbhrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford and Essex

William de Bohun, Earl of Northampton m Elizabeth Badlesmere

Elizabeth de Bohun m Richard FitzAlan, Earl of Arundel

Joan FitzAlan m William Beauchamp, Baron Bergavenny

Joan Beauchamp m James Butler, Earl of Ormonde