Alice (Ada) Chippingdale married 1st to Henry Sapcote, Mayor of Lincoln and 2nd to William Goodrick of Nether Toynton
Add Reply
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-04-27 21:30:53 UTC
Good day,

I have looking for information regarding the parents of Winifred Spacote who married Lionel Goodrick, and while searching for information on her parents Henry Sapcote, Mayor of Lincoln and Jane Smyth, I came across a couple of things that I think have identified the family his 2nd wife Alice came from.

In Lincolnshire Notes and Queries, Volume 2 the section on Henry Sapcote makes mention of George Chippingdale who is referred to as a brother-in-law of Henry Sapcote, but the individual making the query was unsure of the connection creating the relationship between the two. It is linked below.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=fBktAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=VARIOUS+WILLS+lincolnshire+%22henry+sapcote%22&source=bl&ots=Kb3vRelxqw&sig=nmN0v3A_zt9Qk-XJ4fWDZDShpMs&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=VARIOUS%20WILLS%20lincolnshire%20%22henry%20sapcote%22&f=false

I stumbled across a catalogue entry at Nottingham Archives which is for a marriage settlement for William Goodrick and Alice Sapcote widow of Henry Sapcote, Mayor of Lincoln. I found this interesting, because the trustees for the settlement were Lyon Goodrick, Edward Spacote, George Chippingdale and Roger Oliver, and that it identified Alice Sapcote as the widow of Henry Sapcote. It is linked and outlined below.

http://nawcat.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqServer=AP266-0029&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=show.tcl&dsqSearch=(RefNo==%22DD%201355%2FA%2FD%2FC%2F65%22)

Level Item
Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives
ReferenceNo DD/1355/65
FullCatalogue View collection catalogue
AccessionNo 3605
Title Marriage settlement
Date 20 Dec 1554
Extent 1 doc
ContentDescription
(1) William Gudricke of Nethertoynton [Low Toynton, Lincolnshire] gentleman
(2) Alice Sapcote, widow formerly wife of late Henry Sapcote, gentleman
(3) Leonard Gudricke, esq; Edward Sapcote, gentleman; George Chippingdale; and Roger Oliver, trustees

Reciting intended marriage of (1) and (2) now (1) to (3) for marriage settlement and specified uses of (1) and (2) of all messuages, tofts, cottages, crofts, dovecotes, lands, meadows etc, in Low Toynton, Grainsby, High Toynton and Tetford [Lincolnshire]. Warranty clause.

Dated 20 Dec 1 and 2 Philip and Mary, 1554.

Parchment; signature and seal of (1).

Badly stained.
AccessStatus Open
Language Latin

Digging a little deeper into the connection between the Sapcotes and the Chippingdales I found a pedigree that identifies Alice (Ada in the pedigree) as a sister of George Chippingdale and wife of Henry Sapcott of Elton, co. Huntingdon. It is linked below.

https://archive.org/stream/pedigreeregister01sociuoft#page/98/mode/2up/search/george+chippingdale

If anyone could shed any further light on this matter, I would be interested.

Thanks,
Jordan Vandenberg.
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-04-28 13:37:56 UTC
I just noticed a thread from 2014, which makes mention of William Goodrick of Nether Toynton and his wife Alice Sapcote, and Ken Rolston mentions that her maiden name had been stated, but that she had a 3rd husband after William Goodrick of Nether Toynton named Thomas Malet (Mallett).

Link below to the thread: Rolston of Tanshelf in Pontefract, Part 1.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/soc.genealogy.medieval/william$20nether$20toynton%7Csort:relevance/soc.genealogy.medieval/c4LPNOxhHoM/AkxMl123AKcJ
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
Jordan Vandenberg.
Ken Rolston
2017-04-28 19:40:52 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Good one Jordan, you have just returned the favour.
I have been perplexed for quite some time about the identity of Alice Sapcote, not knowing whether Sapcote was her maiden name or previous married name. Being married to Henry Sapcote of Lincoln comes as a big surprise.

We know that Henry had 7 sons and 6 daughters, but nowhere have I seen birth dates or marriage dates of those children, so it is difficult to determine whether all of his issue were from Jane his first wife. Jane died 1546 and with all of those children, Henry must have been in need of a wife/housekeeper/substitute mother. I would assume that Alice Chippingdale married him soon after, perhaps within a year and unless she had already been married, she was probably moderately young, most likely in her 20's or even 30's. Henry died about 6 years later in 1553, therefore it seems sensible that some of those younger children may have been issue from Alice.

Alice was widowed in 1553 and you found a marriage settlement dated Dec 1554, so it is likely that Alice and William Goodricke married around that time. Some marriage settlements were agreed before marriage but not always, some were signed after marriage.
William died 1561 (based on IPM information C 142/134/211) and his only daughter Anne was 4 years old and more, born about 1555/56, so only a year or so after the marriage. Why no more children after Anne? Possibly we could speculate that Alice went past child bearing age, approx 45 years. That would place her birth about 1511 and her age at about 35 or possibly a little less when she married Henry. That does allow time for an unknown marriage before Henry.

Sometime after William Goodricke's death, Alice took her young daughter Anne with her and relocated to Yorkshire, to the area of Featherston or Normanton near Pontefract. I have not been able to determine when or why this relocation occurred.

On 24 Feb 1576 Anne Goodricke married Edward Rowlston, son of Edward Rowlston of Cridling Stubbs in Womersley parish and wife Mabel Anne, daughter of Gabriel Anne of Cridling Park.

Alice Chippingdale/Sapcote/Goodricke married Thomas Mallet of Normanton, date mot known. There werre Mallets at Monkrode in Featherston parish and Thomas may have been of that family. Since Alice held Nether Toynton and William's other lands in her own right, Thomas Mallet apparently went there to manage the property. He was buried at Nether Toynton 11 August 1576 (N.Toynton parish register, the only Mallet in the register).

After her marriage at age 19 and death of her step-father Thomas, Anne came into possession of the lands in her own right as heir of William Goodricke. Edward Rowlston is recorded "of Nether Toynton, gent" in 1583, also perhaps managing the property in right of his wife. He died before 1593 and Anne remarried 21 July 1593 to Paul Hamerton of Monkrode, esquire, as his 2nd wife, and they had issue 2 sons and 2 daughters.

There is evidence that Alice Mallet may have survived past 1597 when Edward Rowlston (grandson) and Alice Mallet, both of Cobcrofte in Cridling Stubbs, were listed as reputed recusants. If the age estimates are correct, she would then be about 86 years old, a good age.

Ken Rolston.
Jordan Vandenberg
Jordan Vandenberg.
Ken Rolston
2017-04-28 22:18:53 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Yes indeed, an interesting situation. And I had the intriguing thought that perhaps Winifred could have been Alice's daughter, but in fact Winifred had to be born roughly 10 years before Jane Smyth, Henry's 1st wife died, so we can forget about that one.

A couple of small corrections:
The marriage settlement was for the "intended marriage", therefore Alice & William married soon after 20 Dec 1554.
The reputed recusants at Cobcrofte were Thomas Rowlston and Alice Mallet, not Edward Rowlston. Thomas may have been Edward's son and Alice's grandson.

I stated that I did not know why Alice & Anne relocated to Yorkshire near Pontefract. The Chippingdale connection might provide an answer... Chippingdales were at Skipton-in-Craven which is just 33 miles NW from Pontefract. Alice might have travelled there to join family and then grew social contacts in Featherstone and Normanton area, including marriages for both of them.

In the marriage settlement, the trustees were Leonard Gudricke (ident not known), Edward Sapcote, gent (eldest son of Henry & Jane, step-son to Alice), George Chippingdale, gent (brother to Alice), Roger Oliver (unknown).

Ken.
Jordan Vandenberg
Ken.
Ken Rolston
2017-04-28 22:39:56 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Yes, thank you, fair comment.
Roger Oliver may be of the Olivers who were also at Skipton, so possibly related to the Chippingdales.

Ken
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-04-28 22:56:33 UTC
I was curious about who Roger Oliver was. You are likely right that there is a connection with the Chippingdales given the Skipton connection.
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-04-28 22:44:51 UTC
Ken, you mentioned you were curious which of Henry Sapcotes children were born of Alice. James Cummings suggested in his original post of the Who Was Henry Sapcote? thread that the possible children that Henry Sapcote bore with Alice were his children: Jerome, George, Mary and Anne.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/FKw5Xwj3H9M

Also, your reasoning for the relocation of Alice and Anne to Yorkshire makes sense.

Jordan.
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
Jordan Vandenberg.
Ken Rolston
2017-04-29 15:02:55 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Quote:
"James Cummings suggested in his original post of the Who Was Henry Sapcote? thread that the possible children that Henry Sapcote bore with Alice were his children: Jerome, George, Mary and Anne."

Can James enighten us why he thinks those 4 children were born of Alice? Are there dates for their births?

James also noted that Alice died after 1578. That's correct but quite a long time after,in the 1590's. I think that date was picked up from Edward Sapcote's will (son of Henry), of 10 July 1578. In the will (TNA: PROB 11/60/550), Edward bequeathed "to the last wife of my father forty shillings yearly during her life to be paid out of the first & second row of closes at the Bargate which yearly hitherto of my benevolence she has received".

That of course was Alice and she must have been on very good terms with her step-son, who granted that she continue to receive an annuity of 40s for life.

Edward also bequeathed "to Mr Chippingdale a hoop ring of gold to the value of 26s... and he shall have his close (in Lincoln?) that he holdeth of me during the old years, paying the rent to my executors that he now payeth to me."

Ken Rolston.
Ken Rolston
2017-06-12 22:41:23 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Here we are at last....
I have transcribed the Will of Henry Sapcote of Lincoln, dated 21 January 1553.
He has some interesting information in it, he held several parcels of lands and various houses, and leases of a number of parsonages that he bequeathed to family.
He leaves items to Amy Hollingworth his daughter, to George, Thomas, Henry, Jerome, John and Nicholas his sons, to Jane Dowman his daughter, to Dorothy his daughter, to brother in law George Chippingdale and to godson John Chippingdale, to Amy the daughter of son Edward, to his brother William, parson of Waddington, to Wenefryd Goddricke his daughter and Mary his daughter, to Ann Sapcote daughter in law, and much goods and possessions to Alice his 2nd wife.

I have transcribed the Will of Edward Sapcote of Lincoln, esquire, dated 10 July 1578, eldest son and heir of Henry.
He left bequests to Henry his eldest son & heir, to Elizabeth Burnabie his daughter, to Thomas Burnabie son in law, to Richard Burnabie son of Thomas, niece Grace Dowman, Amy Wilson his kinswoman, George Sapcote, Alice Sapcote daughter of his brother Nicholas, William Kelke son in law. There is nothing left to his wife who must be deceased.

This will of Edward has been transcribed into modern English by Nina Green and published at www.oxford-shakespeare.com/probate/PROB_11_60_550.pdf from the National Archives version of the will, ref: PROB 11/60/550 and it was referenced in sgm on 3/2/2017. Nina Green claims copyright on that modern spelled version.
Interestingly, there is a discrepancy between the probate version and the Lincs Archives version. She quotes “to every of my women servants to whom there is none especial given, 3s 4d”. This line is correct by the Lincs version. She then quotes “ to every of my men servants to whom there is none especial legacy given, five shillings over and above their wages”. This bequest to the men servants is missing from the Lincs version. Of course it is a minor issue but it begs the question of potential errors in the primary records that we generally consider as being reliable.

I have transcribed the Will of George Chippingdale of Lincoln, gent, dated 13 June 1579. He leaves much to Mary his wife and to Edward his son, bequests to Ellin Richforthe and Mary Smithe his wive’s daughters, to Chrinn[?] Chippingdale and Mary her sister, daughters of his son John, to Ormond Hill son in law and Ellen Rustforthe daughter in law, to Richard Smith son in law, to Tobias Chippingdale son of Doctor Chippingdale his son and to Katherine the Doctor’s daughter, to Edmond Chippingdale his son (underage).
Of especial interest to me is his bequest “to Alice Mallet my sister in law and Roger Oliver her brother”. This is Alice, 2nd wife of Henry Sapcote and we thought she was a Chippingdale daughter. This makes it clear that she was born Alice Oliver and that she married 1st an unidentified Chippingdale who was brother of George. I had previously wondered whether there might be an early marriage for her because I estimated that she was in her 30’s when married to Henry. So now we know that she was Alice Oliver/Chippingdale/Sapcote/Goodricke/Mallet. We know only of one confirmed daughter, Ann Goodricke who married 1st Edward Rowlston and 2nd Paul Hamerton, but it is possible that some of Henry’s late issue could have been from her.

There is a lot of text to these 3 wills, so I have uploaded them into Dropbox. They may be viewed and downloaded at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xlxuss0j427ml9u/AADZApAPQ3ZmmLFYExXjBFoja?dl=0

Cheers
Ken.
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-06-13 12:25:15 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Thank you so much for taking the time to transcribe these wills and post them. There is indeed a lot of interesting and important information in them. I was surprised at the revelation that Alice was the sister of Roger Oliver and had an additional husband prior to Henry Sapcote.
Thanks again Ken.
Jordan.
Ken Rolston
2017-06-14 16:08:14 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
In George Chippingdale's will I gave a name as "Chrinn[?] Chippingdale". I have had a closer look at the name and am sure now that it reads "Chrian" with an abbreviation stroke above it. I now think that it is an abbreviation for "Christian".

Ken.
g***@gmail.com
2018-10-22 08:21:01 UTC
Hi Ken, We are a group of Chippindall descendants in Australia trying to determine if Ada (Alice) Chippingdale is George's sister or was married to one of his brothers (who seem to be Thomas, William and Oliver). The Pedigree Register (March 1908) seems to suggest Ada is George's sister. The version of George's will I found in the "Analytical Calendar of Lincolnshire Wills" (Northern Genealogist Vol V, p115) also speaks of "sister Mallet", Mallet being her final married name. I gather you and Jordan thought she was George's sister as well until you found another will, which you posted to Dropbox but that link has now expired. The Pedigree Register mentions a will dated 3 Sept 1599, but I assume that's a mistake and should be 3 Sept 1579, and that is the will I found (the one with the memorable line "Please God that Edward Chippingdale reform his lewde living". Do you know when George died? That would have some bearing on the question of whether there were two wills or one. Also, we know George's father came from Skipton-in-Craven in Yorkshire, which is not far Chipping in Lancashire, but do you know anything else about him? I realise you might have lost interest in this family by now, and my apologies if that is the case. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. Geoff Turner
Ken Rolston
2018-10-26 14:47:27 UTC
George Sherwood in The Pedigree Register Vol 1 has it wrong in the Chippingdale pedigree. As you mention, he states that Ada Chippingdale was sister of George and married Henry Sapcote.
In fact, it was Alice married Henry Sapcote, not Ada. I have nowhere found her named as Ada in primary documents. There might in fact have been 2 women. Perhaps Ada was a sister to George, but she was not wife to Henry Sapcote.
In the will of George Chippingdale [1] dated 13th June 1579, he names himself as George Chippingdale of the citie of Lincoln, gent. The will of Henry Sapcote [2] dated 21st Jan 1553/54, was witnessed by George, who was described as a notary public.
George’s will states: "I bequeath to Alice Mallet my sister in law and Roger Oliver her brother either of them an old riall". This proves that Alice was not a sister to George and that her maiden name was Oliver. We know from elsewhere that Alice was named Chippingdale when she married as a widow to Henry Sapcote. Her first husband must have been one of George’s brothers but I have not been able to determine who it was. Presumably the marriage was to either of Thomas, William or Oliver.
Are you sure about one of the brothers being named Oliver, because that was the surname of Alice’s family? If correct, it could suggest that Chippingdales and Olivers were closely associated and that the Olivers may also have lived at or near Skipton-in-Craven. Further support for this is in the Pedigree Register, the same pedigree states that John, son of George Chippingdale by 1st wife Joan, was married 2nd to Frances Oliver.
I have no date for the marriage of Alice & Henry, but we could expect it to be within 1 or 2 years after the 1546 death of 1st wife Jane.

In a posting of 1/2/2017 Yahoo!Inc seems to suggest that Alice may have been the mother of Henry’s youngest children, Jerome, George, Mary and Anne. Some of this could be feasible, since Henry and Alice were probably married for 5 or 6 years, but I have found nothing to suggest it to be correct, especially as a lack of birth dates makes chronology assessment difficult. After Henry’s death, there is a lack of evidence that she kept children with her, and with her next marriage only a year later, there is no evidence of any children with her at Nether Toynton. In my opinion, she appears not to have produced issue of her first or her second marriage, and only one daughter in her 3rd marriage of 7 years.

So how did Alice get the name Mallet? Thomas Mallet was her 4th husband and she outlived all 4 of them.
When Henry Sapcote died in 1554, he provided well for Alice with goods and properties and leases of several parsonages during her widowhood, but those leases and properties were to revert to Henry’s son Edward if Alice re-married.

She did indeed re-marry, roughly one year later, to William Goodricke, 2nd son of John Goodricke of East Kirkby and Anne Dymoke.
In a marriage settlement [3] dated 20th Dec 1554 between William Gudricke of Nether Toynton in Lincs, gent and Alice Sapcote, widow, formerly wife of Henry Sapcote gent deceased, all of the lands etc held by William Gudricke at Nether Toynton, Over Toynton, Waith, Grainsby and Tetford were granted to feoffees (trustees), named Lyon Gudricke esq (probably William’s eldest brother, died 1561), Edward Sapcote of Lincoln gent (eldest son of Henry & Jane), George Chippingdale (brother-in-law to Alice) and Roger Oliver (brother of Alice), to the proper use of William and Alice and the heirs of their bodies.
This settlement ensured that Alice remained in good stead for property, considering that she was losing the use and rents of her Sapcote bequests. William and Alice married after the settlement was signed and it proved to be a fortunate settlement for her because William died just 7 years later, in 1561 and she retained the properties. William and Alice produced just one daughter and heiress, Anne, age 4 or more at her father’s death.

At unknown date, Alice and her daughter Anne relocated to Yorkshire, in the vicinity of Featherstone. In due course, Alice married Thomas Mallet who was probably of the Normanton Mallet family. Alice’s lands were thence held by Thomas in right of his wife and it seems that he went to Lincs, possibly to establish himself with the tenants and to collect rents. He died there and was buried at Nether Toynton on 21st Aug 1576, leaving Alice as a widow for the 4th time and the properties reverted to her. In theory, Alice held those lands for her life, and then they should go to Anne, who was the beneficiary in her father’s will.
In a legal statement of 1622 [4], Anne stated that Alice conveyed to her the lands of Nether Toynton etc, reserving to herself during her life the sum of £40 (per year?). This might have occurred about the time that Anne married, 24th Feb 1576, after which in 1583, her husband was described as Edward Rowlston of Nether Toynton, ie; he held the land in right of his wife.

Alice popped up from time to time in later years. In 1582, Alice Malet & Edward Rolleston, gent received a grant of lands from Martin Anne esq and George Anne gent. In 1597 she was declared to be a recusant in Womersley parish. I do not have her burial date, but it must have been around the turn of the century. 1597 is the last reference that I have for her.

Coming back to Chippindales, some incidental info, for what it is worth to you in Oz, Lincolnshire Pedigrees has a pedigree for Chippingdale of Heighington in which William Chippingdale (bur 1670) and wife Felis are given 2 children, Thomas and Judith. I have found those two, Thomas Chippingdale and wife Felice baptised a daughter Mary on 30th June 1640 at St Mary le Wigford church in Lincoln. The family were of Washingborough, 3 miles east of Lincoln.

On your other queries, I have not seen the will with the interesting "lewde living" plea to God.
All that I know about George's death is that it was after 13th June 1579, the date of his will. He named his wife as Mary. He named his sons Edward and Edmond and John and "Doctor Chippingdale".
He bequeathed some money to his kinfolk in Craven.

Ken.

[1] Lincs Archives: Various Wills/51v-54
[2] Lincs Archives: Various Wills/51v-53
[3] Notts Archives: DD/1355/65
[4] National Archives: C2/JasI/R11/54
g***@gmail.com
2018-10-27 03:22:12 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
[...]
Hi Ken, thanks for getting back to us. That is very comprehensive.

As you can imagine we are getting most of our information from the internet since we are all a long way from England.

The Visitation of the County of Leicester in 1619

https://archive.org/details/TheVisitationOfTheCountyOfLeicesterInTheYear1619/page/n173?q=chippingdale

has Henry Sapcot's wife listed but unnamed. It is not exactly clear if the is the sister of George or the sister of his first wife Joan but I favoured the first interpretation based on that. But your argument for her being the widow of one of George's brothers is compelling.

In his letter the The Pedigree Register in 1908

https://archive.org/details/pedigreeregister1190sher/page/100?q=chippingdale

Colonel W.H. Chippindall says the Visitation family tree was prepared by George's son Doctor John (who married Frances Oliver as his second wife -- and in widowhood Frances Chippindall nee Oliver married William Gould, widower, of Tame, Oxford, in St Mary's Leicester, in 1628).

So Dr John must have got it wrong in that family tree, just as The Pedigree Register has it wrong in that tree when it says George's will was dated 3 Sep 1599 when they mean 1579.

Colonel W.H. Chippindall is an interesting character, having served as a Lieutenant with General Gordon in Africa. W.H.'s uncle, General Edward Chippindall, was for a time aide de camp to Queens Victoria. W.H. seems to have taken on family history in his retirement, just as many of us are still doing today.

George's son Dr John Chippindall was also an interesting character. His first wife, Elizabeth Harkes, was the daughter of prominent Oxford bookseller Garbrand Harkes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerbrand_Harkes

https://niallbrn.wordpress.com/2014/07/17/some-notes-on-garbrand-harks-and-family-of-oxford/

As well as being a distinguished lawyer (Doctor of Civil Law from Oxford) he was a member of parliament.

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/chippingdale-john-1627

I was unable to find a burial record for Dr John Chippendale until I discovered he was buried as "Dr Chippendale" rather than "John Chippendale".

https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/58182b3ee93790ec75d92989?search_id=5bd3b72ff493fd5c96975ccf&ucf=false

The version of George's will we were working from is in The Northern Genealogist in a section entitled "An analytical Calendar of Lincolnshire Wills".

https://archive.org/details/northerngenealog05gibb/page/n243?q=chippingdale

From what you have said this seems a rough copy, to say the least. But it does mention his second wife Mary, his sons John DCL, Edward and Edmund. John (also Doctor, the same person) and Edward were sons of Joan and Edmond was the son of Mary.

In his will George mentions John and his wife Elizabeth (Harkes) and their son Tobie (Tobias); his own brothers Thomas, William and Oliver; sister Mallet (which confused us on several levels -- no first name, no "-in-law"); the leases; and the reference to Edward and his lewde living. Edward Sapcot and Dr Barber are the supervisors (executors?).

The Pedigree for the Chippindalls at Heighington is of crucial importance to us.

We have traced our line with a degree of confidence as far back as Edward Chippindall (1631-1711) and his wife Ellin Taler (1635-1688).

We understood Edward was the son of William Chippindall (1610-70) and a different wife, but that is looking less likely the more we find out.

In his letter to The Pedigree Register in 1908 cited above Colonel W.H. Chippindall mentions a Chancery document dated 7 Feb 1635 that says William married (?) Homersley without his father's permission and buried buried a wife Feles at Washingborough on 14 Feb 1663. He wonders if Feles is the same person as (?) Homersley. It is. She was baptised at Kingsley, Staffordshire, on 16 Jan 1613/14.

We have not been able to find a marriage for William and Feles. We are getting the Chancery document from the UK Archives to see if it provides any more detail on this marriage. But Edward was baptised in Waddington (now in Lancashire but then in Yorkshire) on 8 Jan 1631, so it is unlikely that he was the son of William and Feles (the timing is fine but the place seems wrong, given William was living at Barton under Needwood in Staffordshire and then Washingborough in Lincolnshire). But finding a date for the marriage would help settle that.

Colonel W.H.C. also says William and Feles had a son Thomas baptised at Washingborough on 1 Jun 1645.

You say the Lincoln pedigree gives them two children, Thomas and Judith, and that Thomas and his wife Felice had a daughter Mary baptised 30 Jun 1640. I think this is William and Feles's child (the record I found gives the father as William); that is to say, Thomas's sister, not his daughter.

I can find no records for Judith, so perhaps that is really Mary by another name.

The bottom line for us here in Australia is that it would appear our Edward is not the son of William. So we have to say farewell to William and his father John; and his father Dr John; and his father George; and all the rest. It's a pity, we have got to know them so well, but we can't invent things.

Thanks again for all your help with this. If there is anything in what I have written that isn't clear or that you would like to know more about, don't hesitate to ask.

Geoff Turner
Ken Rolston
2018-10-30 14:42:30 UTC
Geoff,
I have made a search through the Washingborough & Heighington register on Lincs to the Past. The register begins from 1567, a nice early date. There are no Chippingdales until 1609 when John apparently entered the parish for marriage.

This is the link to their first entry at Washingborough, John Chippingdale & Mary Garrett marriage, 8 Oct 1609. He is described as John Chipiindale gentleman of Leit.

https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=548022&iid=188729

Google Maps finds a minor placename Leit in South Yorkshire at 5 miles east of Sheffield city, now a commercial area near Handsworth, perhaps within Handsworth parish? Handsworth registers could be worth a search. It is interesting that this takes him back into Yorkshire where the early Chippingdales were known at Skipton in Craven.
Otherwise, your link to Visitation of Leics 1619, says that John was of Blackenhall in Staffs.

Here are the details extracted from the Washingborough register, with latinised words changed to English:
Page numbers are referenced to the register pages in Lincs to the Past.

p 59 1609 John Chipindale gentleman of Leit and Mary Garrett were married 8th October.
P 19 1621/2 Christopher Chippingdale son of John Chippingdale bapt Jan ---.
P 87 1622 Xpofer (Christopher) Chippingdale son of Jo: Chip: buried May 20th.
P 19 1623 Frances Chippingdale daughter of Jo: Chippingdale bapt March 27th.
P 20 1625 Barbara daughter of John Chippingdale bapt August 8th.
P 25 1643 Judath daughter of William & failes (Felice) Chippingdale bapt June 16th.
P 25 1645 Thomas son of William & fialis (Felice) Chippingdale bapt June 1st.
P 96 1659 Jn Chippingdale buried August 25th.
P 99 1670 William Chippingdale buried December 31st.

Note: In 1611 a Judeth Garret of Highington married John Cooper of Washingborough, which indicates that the name Judith came from the Garrett family and they were a family of good standing in Heighington.
I suggest that William could be a son of John & Mary, probably their William in the pedigree, but baptism and marriage are not in this register.
I searched through to 1683 in the register. Several pages are faint text, difficult to read, especially page 25, but I think I found all of the entries. In general the register pages are in good condition.

I think you could be jumping the gun a little by abandoning William as father of Edward, even though no evidence is found yet, because William & Felice were baptising elsewhere, as shown by their daughter Mary’s baptism at St Mary le Wigford in Lincoln 1640. I mistakenly wrote Thomas & Felice, that should have read William instead of Thomas (see my last post).

The register info above expands on what is in published pedigrees and should be very helpful.
Notice also that there is a gap of 12 years from the marriage of John & Mary until their first baptism at Washingborough. Obviously they were elsewhere and probably producing earlier issue.

The Northern Genealogist that you quoted is indeed a brief and rough copy.
The full will is quite informative, but it does not contain the plea about "lewd living". I wonder where that came from.
I shall try to get George's will to you, perhaps place it again into Dropbox or else attempt an email attachment.

Ken.
Ken Rolston
2018-10-30 16:58:51 UTC
I have placed 2 wills into Dropbox for our Aust friends.
These are:
The Will of George Chippingdale
The Will of Henry Sapcote.

Access them by this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pnypeo5bwsloj63/AAA0O9uyrGlo35NGF8wmYQQIa?dl=0

Ken.
g***@gmail.com
2018-10-31 08:11:14 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
I have placed 2 wills into Dropbox for our Aust friends.
The Will of George Chippingdale
The Will of Henry Sapcote.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pnypeo5bwsloj63/AAA0O9uyrGlo35NGF8wmYQQIa?dl=0
Ken.
Thanks very much for that Ken, that's a great help once again.

I have downloaded the wills and joined the Lincs to the Past site. It is really hard to see where the "lewde living" reference supposedly contained in George's will came from. It is not as though it was a printed will and someone had scribbled that in the margins or anything. Very odd.

This link tells us a little more about Mary Garrett's father, her uncle -- who set up the Garrett charity -- and her grandfather.

http://parishes.lincolnshire.gov.uk/Heighington/section.asp?catId=33455

It seems William's mother might have been Mary (maiden name unknown) who died in Dec 1569 at Washingborough, and William's two sisters who died in infancy may have been Elizabeth born 1565 and Anne died 1566, but I have not had a chance to confirm those details yet.

I want to suggest a different interpretation of the "John Chipiindale gentleman of Leit" in the marriage record with Mary Garrett.

Perhaps it is not a reference to a small village near Sheffield in Yorkshire. This branch of the family had not really been in Yorkshire since the time of George, except for a few places on the Lancashire border, most of which are now actually in Lancashire. Certainly they are a long way from Sheffield.

I am going to suggest "Leit" might actually be an abbreviation of "Leicestershire". The family had strong links to that county.

Mary's groom John Chippindall's father, Dr John, had been at Humberston in Leicestershire according to the Visitation of Leicester. They moved to Blakenhall at nearby Barton under Needwood, which is in Staffordshire, that is true. But Dr John became the MP for Leicester and died there, and both Dr John and his wife died in Leicester, Elizabeth Harkes in 1609 -- the year of John's marriage to Mary Garrett -- and Dr John in 1627. So I think describing John as a gentleman of Leicestershire would be a possible interpretation.

With regard to Edward, we think he was born in 1631 in Mitton, Lancashire, father's name William. That could conceivably be the son of Felice, who was born in 1613/14. But we have Edward's birth, marriage, burial, baptism of children etc all happening in the Mitton-Waddington area in what is now Lancashire, although a few places were in the Yorkshire West Riding at the time. There is no reference to Lincolnshire in any of those records so we think we are fighting a losing battle in trying to keep the link to the leicester-Lincoln branch of the family.

But again, thanks for your help.

Geoff Turner.
Ken Rolston
2018-10-31 09:19:31 UTC
All well thought out Geoff, you are obviously well informed on the Chippingdale flexibilities.
I have nothing further on Chippingdale history, not having researched deeper.
I would be interested to hear anything further about Alice's first marriage, apparently to one of the Chippingdale brothers ex-Craven, if you uncover anything more definite.
Cheers, Ken.
wjhonson
2018-10-31 17:26:21 UTC
I'm not sure if it's yet been mentioned here, but Edward was not the eldest son and heir of his father, according to HOP

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/sapcote-john-1574

He may well have been the "eventual" heir, that is, heir to his elder brother John mentioned in HOP above.
Ken Rolston
2018-11-01 11:19:53 UTC
That's true, John was the eldest son but after his death, Edward the 2nd son became heir to his father Henry Sapcote.
Edward's will is in Lincs Archives: Various Wills/51v-54, in the same volume as those of Henry Sapcote and Edward Chippingdale. I have not found any of them elsewhere.
For interest, I have uploaded Edward Sapcote's will 1579 into Dropbox along with the other two.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dumd06cr3lf9z7x/Will%20of%20Edw%20Sapcote%201578.docx?dl=0

There is quite a contrast in details between John's will (HOP) and Edward's will. Edward stayed at Lincoln and left bequests to many of the family and relations. He included "to the last wife of my father 40 shillings yearly during her life... which yearly hitherto of my benevolence she has received." This widow of his father was Alice Oliver/Chippingdale/Sapcote/Goodricke, later to become Mallet with her last of 4 marriages. She must have been on good terms with Edward, and probably with his siblings, she having helped raise them during about 6 years before Henry's death in 1553. It's interesting that Edward continued this 40s annuity for her life, even though she was re-married to Thomas Goodricke since 1555.

Ken Rolston
g***@gmail.com
Ken, when Henry Sapcote refers in his will to George Chippingdale as his brother in law, are you taking that as equivalent to "my wife's brother in law" without worrying about a stricter interpretation of the relationship? I presume so. I also wanted to tell you that my mentor, Liz Orrock, was inspired by your suggestion that we not give up on finding a link between Edward Chippendale and George's family and we think we have done it. She asked me to thank you in particular for that, among your many kindnesses. Geoff Turner
wjhonson
2018-11-01 16:49:34 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
[...]
Ken I'm sorry but this can not be correct.

Henry died twenty years before John. So Edward could not be the "heir" to their father. He could only have been the "heir" to his elder brother John who had been the head of the house for twenty years by that time.
g***@gmail.com
Ken, you say "Edward's will is in Lincs Archives: Various Wills/51v-54, in the same volume as those of Henry Sapcote and Edward Chippingdale". I presume you mean George Chippingdale, not Edward. We are trying to establish the link between Edward Chippingdale and William Chippingdale, so are clutching at straws perhaps. William Chippingdale was buried in 1670 at Washingborough. Are you aware of a will for him? Presumably that would also be in the Lincoln archives if it exists. Geoff Turner
Ken Rolston
2018-11-02 09:42:48 UTC
Yes, I did mean George's will is in Lincs Archives: Various Wills/51v-54. That is quite a thick volume with the wills bound in. I checked through all, whether there were any more of interest. William is not there and I don't know of any will for him. I have not searched specifically for Wm's will with Lincs Arch., but I think it would have arisen with other searches. But it's still worth a specific search.
Considering the family background at Skipton in Craven, you might find it worth searching Yorks Archives, including the Borthwick Institute in York, who hold many wills. Their online search facilities can be difficult, so I would recommend a query to them in writing, requesting a list of all of their Chippingdale wills.
Edward Chippingdale's will is with TNA at Prob/11/60/550, which you are probably aware of.

Ken
g***@gmail.com
Thanks Ken we will try to follow that up. We seem to be at cross purposes with the TNA reference -- that is Edward Sapcote, not Edward Chippingdale, isn't it? I know the Chippingdales are not your area of interest (other than Alice) so my apologies for all the questions about them.
Ken Rolston
2018-11-02 10:28:17 UTC
Geoff, regarding the brother-in-law query,I did consider at the time what was meant and whether there might be a closer relationship that we knew of. Once I knew that Alice was born Oliver and that her 1st husband was Chippingdale, I realised that George was her brother-in-law. I considered that Henry appropriated that description because George was in-law to his wife. So yes, you are correct in your conclusion.

Will, you may be correct, but there is scant evidence of John being the heir. I had only obtained John's date of death from your HOP link and had not given much thought to the sequence, having previously assumed he had died earlier. Nevertheless, John was not one of the executors for Henry's will, in fact John was mentioned only once, where he was bequeathed two large silver pots with covers. As the eldest, we must assume he was the heir, but nothing is said about that. Most of the properties and leases and advowsons were willed to Alice with remainder to Edward or Jerome or George. One advowson went to brother in law George Chippingdale and heirs forever. So with his properties disposed of to Alice and younger sons and his household goods bequeathed in great detail, there seems little or nothing for John to inherit formally. By the will details, there is nothing to suggest that John was heir.
In fact, by the minimal amount that he received, it makes me wonder whether there may have been bad feeling between John and his father and whether perhaps John had been effectively disinherited? John received 2 silver pots. I have seen in other wills where a person was left 12 pence in a will to ensure that he could not later claim having been forgotten and laying claim to more. Maybe the silver pots were similar. This is speculation of course, but the fact that the eldest son received so little is a bit weird.

Ken.
wjhonson
2018-11-04 23:38:53 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
[...]
I might suggest that since he was a Catholic priest at the time, he may have voluntarily disavowed any inheritence.

https://books.google.com/books?id=IPcMAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA853#v=onepage&q&f=true
See Linc Ped
g***@gmail.com
2018-11-05 03:28:25 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
[...]
The will of Martin Hollingworth, draper, of Lincoln, dated 5 Dec 1589 suggests his daughter Mary was George Chippingdale's second wife. He says
"to my daughter Marie Chippingdale 40 marks". The place and date are right. George had been widowed and married Mary by 1579, when his own will was written.

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=p6KyBQAAQBAJ&q=chippingdale#v=snippet&q=chippingdale&f=false

That doesn't help Ken with further confirmation of George's sister-in-law as Alice Oliver but until now all we knew was that Mary was "Maria uxor. 2" (Visitation) or "Mary, widow of .... (2nd wife)" (Pedigree).
Ken Rolston
2018-11-02 15:10:02 UTC
Geoff, yes Edward Sapcote it was, for the TNA reference.
My typing fingure is getting ahead of my brain cell at times.
Ken.