Dean of Whalley Lancashire
paul bulkley
2005-01-16 21:20:57 UTC
Geoffrey Dean of Whalley (approx 1210-1237) was the
first Dean to be given a surname according to the
Whalley Coucher Book edited by Hulton. The surname
given in Charters was de Buckel, de Bucklegh, de
Buclegh, de Buckel, de Buckl, de Bukkel, de Bukl, de
Bukeley. Descendants used the name of Bucley, Buckley,
and a number of others.

The first Dean of Whalley as mentioned in the registry
of Lichfield, or whose name appears in the Chronicles,
was called Spartlingus.

A subscriber has claimed that the ancient family of
Towneley commenced with Spartlingus at the time of
Afred the Great (late 800s). However that claim does
not appear to agree with Hulton who states:

(1) Spartlingus appointed Dean by Pontefract Priory
after Hugh de Laval gave church between 1109 and 1121.

(2) Geoffrey Junior surnamed Bucklegh Dean of Whalley
1210-1237 had four children as follows:

Roger (last Dean of Whalley)
Richard " a quo Towneley"
Robert
Henry de Whalleye

Another subscriber kindly provided further information
regarding Richard:

(1) Richard, brother of Roger (Whalley P847) held a
vicarage of Walton Chapel at 20 marks per annum until
he got a better living by a deed confirmed by
Alexander Stavensby Bishop of Coventry in May 1228
(Whalley P83/84)

(2) Roger gave Richard the Town of Townley and the
Manor of Coldcotes.

The evidence appears to suggest that the family of
Towneley originates from Richard Bucklegh (1220-1230).
Also that Spartlingus was first Dean of Whalley
1109-1121, and not at the time of Alfred.

Sincerely Yours,

Paul Bulkley

The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
http://my.yahoo.com
W***@aol.com
2005-01-16 21:39:34 UTC
In a message dated 1/16/2005 1:21:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Post by paul bulkley
A subscriber has claimed that the ancient family of
Towneley commenced with Spartlingus at the time of
Afred the Great (late 800s). However that claim does
(1) Spartlingus appointed Dean by Pontefract Priory
after Hugh de Laval gave church between 1109 and 1121.
The origin of the legend that Spartlingus was from an earlier time appears to
derive from
Post by paul bulkley
the authority of Burke's Landed Gentry, according to which "the great and
ancient family of Towneley" of which Mr Townley claims to be a cadet, "as
deduced by ancient charters and other authenticated documentary evidence,
derives from Spartlingus, first Dean of Whalley, living about the year 896, when
Alfred reigned over England."
However, Burke endorsed a number of these fables and modern day research is
showing that they have no substance.

Will
m***@gmail.com
2020-02-13 20:42:26 UTC
Post by paul bulkley
[...]
Hello Mr. Paul Bulkley,

I am doing a run on my family line in my spare time and was wondering if there was some more information regarding Geoffrey and his son Richard. I seem to be of their stock, just 800-900 years removed. I have searched their names and have come up a little empty. My interest is to present this as a gift to my gravely ill uncle. I feel like I have got as close to the bottom of my tree as I can. I would love to see if the line goes further. Who were Geoffrey's parents? Is there a way to find the records? I know that this is a longshot since this post is over 15 years old. Yet, I must try every avenue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

William Rigby
***@gmail.com
r***@gmail.com
2020-06-26 19:10:59 UTC
Email me for a chat about the Towneley family history.

Kindly
Ryan Townley.

***@hotmail.co.uk