Temperance Overton 1679-1716
Add Reply
Will Johnson
2021-07-08 15:28:44 UTC
Has the following ancestry of Temperance solid evidence?

2 William Overton
3 Mary Waters
4 Col Robert Overton, Governor of Hull
5 Anne Gardiner
8 John /Overton/ of Easington, co York; of Holderness, co York
9 Joan /Snawsell/
18 Robert /Snawsell/ of Bilton, co York -1590-; esq -1590-
19 Anne Waters
36 Brian /Snawsell/ of Bilton, co York
37 Elizabeth /Wentworth/
Will Johnson
2021-07-08 15:48:16 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Has the following ancestry of Temperance solid evidence?
2 William Overton
3 Mary Waters
4 Col Robert Overton, Governor of Hull
5 Anne Gardiner
8 John /Overton/ of Easington, co York; of Holderness, co York
9 Joan /Snawsell/
18 Robert /Snawsell/ of Bilton, co York -1590-; esq -1590-
19 Anne Waters
36 Brian /Snawsell/ of Bilton, co York
37 Elizabeth /Wentworth/
Part of this line was discussed many years ago but it has not made it into Genealogics yet.

https://archive.org/details/visitationofyork00flow/page/201/mode/1up?view=theater
"Richard Mauleverer son of heir to Sir Thomas + Jane daughter to Sir Robert Plumpton" are shown as the parents of "Anne wife to Thomas Snawsell of Bylton"

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015031227203&view=1up&seq=35&q1=snawsell
heir of his father; born by the 1530 Visitation of the Northern Counties by Tonge

http://books.google.com/books?id=pjMEAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA289
Visitation of Yorkshire in the Years 1563 and 1564
"Bryan Snasell, son and heir + Elizabeth Wentworth daughter of Richard Wentworth of west Breton and Robert son and heir [of them]"
Will Johnson
2021-07-08 16:16:01 UTC
In the interest of full disclosure, I became re-interested in this family when Ancestry Hints indicated the following ascent for my ancestress Jane Brittain

3 Mary Baker b 1770
6 William Baker d 1811 Cub Creek, Louisa County, Virginia
13 Temperance /Harris/ b 5 Aug 1715 Forks, Hanover County, Virginia d 9 Aug 1807 Albemarle, Virginia
27 Temperence /Overton/ (subject of this thread)

So I might have another royal ascent this way, from Edward III
Leslie Mahler
2021-07-09 19:06:33 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Has the following ancestry of Temperance solid evidence?
2 William Overton
3 Mary Waters
4 Col Robert Overton, Governor of Hull
5 Anne Gardiner
8 John /Overton/ of Easington, co York; of Holderness, co York
9 Joan /Snawsell/
18 Robert /Snawsell/ of Bilton, co York -1590-; esq -1590-
19 Anne Waters
36 Brian /Snawsell/ of Bilton, co York
37 Elizabeth /Wentworth/
The will of Robert Overton does not mention a son named William.
There is also no baptismal record for this supposed William son of Robert Overton.
In this case, the descendants have told themselves that the connection is correct.

Leslie
Will Johnson
Thanks Leslie, I will add a note to my entry for him that the parent links are WRONG so that hopefully this becomes the standard statement instead of hints linking them together with no reservations
Michael Rochester
2021-07-13 01:00:19 UTC
Hey wjhons, also you should add a note reminding yourself what a jackass you are! :)