The Poll Taxes of 1377, 1379, and 1381, Fenwick - Are they indexed?
Add Reply
Wibs
2019-08-09 11:29:36 UTC
I am thinking of purchasing these volumes, but I would like to know if they are indexed before purchase.

Cheers

Wibs
Vance Mead
2019-08-09 11:40:34 UTC
Volume 3 has an index to the places covered but not the people.
Wibs
2019-08-09 12:10:23 UTC
Thanks Vance, that is what I had heard, but needed confirmation. It is a lot to pay for these volumes, when there is no index to the thousands of names in them :(
Vance Mead
2019-08-09 12:24:48 UTC
An index of all the names would be as long as the books themselves. They're arranged by county, hundred and parish, so that makes it easier to find. Some places I'm interested in - London, Bucks and Herts - have little or nothing.

I have the first two volumes, so if you a place you'd like me to check I can look next week.
Richard Smith
2019-08-09 13:04:57 UTC
Post by Vance Mead
An index of all the names would be as long as the books themselves. They're arranged by county, hundred and parish, so that makes it easier to find. Some places I'm interested in - London, Bucks and Herts - have little or nothing.
I have the first two volumes, so if you a place you'd like me to check I can look next week.
I don't suppose you could look up the borough of Bridport in Dorset, and
see whether there is a John Roger (or Rogers, or conceivably FitzRoger)
listed?

Thanks,
Richard
Vance Mead
2019-08-09 14:35:40 UTC
I can do that, early next week. I'm now at the stately home (or cottage) where
the deer and the antelope roam.
listed?
Andrew Lancaster
Hi Richard. I have a copy but unfortunately the Bridport lists seem not to have made it to our present day. I notice there were some earlier lay subsidies which survived for Dorset?
Richard Smith
2019-08-09 19:33:40 UTC
Post by Andrew Lancaster
I have a copy but unfortunately the Bridport lists seem not to have made it to our present day.
Thank you very much for checking.
Post by Andrew Lancaster
I notice there were some earlier lay subsidies which survived for Dorset?
I'm aware of the published lay subsidy of 1327, which is almost
certainly too early for this purpose (though I confess to not having
checked it). Are there other 14th (or very early 15th) century lay
subsidies for Dorset that have been published?

Richard
Andrew Lancaster
Not sure. I noticed some mentions while googling to double check
Vance Mead
2019-08-10 10:26:24 UTC
There are two books of the Dorset Record Society for the earlier lay subsidies:

Mills, A.D. ed., The Dorset Lay Subsidy Roll of 1332, Dorset Record Society, 4 (1971)
Rumble, A.R. ed., The Dorset Lay Subsidy Roll of 1327, Dorset Record Society, 6 (1980)

Other than the Poll Tax, there is unlikely to be anything before the muster rolls and lay
subdues of the 1520s.
Wibs
2019-08-10 12:40:44 UTC
Post by Wibs
I am thinking of purchasing these volumes, but I would like to know if they are indexed before purchase.
Cheers
Wibs
Thanks for the offer Vance but it is Volume 3, that covers Yorkshire, that I was most interested in. I am looking for a William de Bubwith, who was a borough bailiff in Kingston upon Hull in 1368, a collector of taxes there in 1377-1384, and MP for the town in 1391.

Wibs
Vance Mead
2019-08-10 12:53:52 UTC
I wonder if this could be him? I'm not sure how to interpret "William Smyth de Bubwyth, of Kingston upon Hull".

Michaelmas 1381, Second entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT6/R2/CP40no483/483_0171.htm

Yorks. John Waterton versus William Smyth de Bubwyth, of Kingston upon Hull. Trespass: close at Kingston upon Hull and taking goods and chattels worth 40 pounds.
Wibs
2019-08-10 15:37:44 UTC
Post by Vance Mead
I wonder if this could be him? I'm not sure how to interpret "William Smyth de Bubwyth, of Kingston upon Hull".
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT6/R2/CP40no483/483_0171.htm
Yorks. John Waterton versus William Smyth de Bubwyth, of Kingston upon Hull. Trespass: close at Kingston upon Hull and taking goods and chattels worth 40 pounds.
I did see that one, but I took that to mean (as William Smyth is a common name), that this was William Smyth, who was born or brought up in Bubwith, but is now a resident of Kingston upon Hull. I do see a lot of names of this sort: A B de C, de D, and I usually interpret the first 'de' as birth or upbringing, and the second 'de' as current place of abode, but I stand to be corrected.

Wibs