Accessing Papal Regesta
Nathan Murphy
2021-06-16 07:54:51 UTC
Are these CDs the best way to access unpublished Papal Regesta?

Registra Vaticana http://www.archivioapostolicovaticano.va/content/aav/it/attivita/ricerca-e-conservazione/progetti/strumenti-multimediali/registra-vaticana--rv--1-545---772-884.html

Registra Supplicationum http://www.archivioapostolicovaticano.va/content/aav/en/attivita/ricerca-e-conservazione/progetti/strumenti-multimediali/registra-supplicationum--rs--1-265---479---509---961-1169.html

Has anyone 'plucked' entries relating to Continental nations, like France, as has been done for Great Britain and Ireland? https://www.british-history.ac.uk/search/series/cal-papal-registers--brit-ie

Cheers,

Nathan
Peter Stewart
2021-06-16 10:14:16 UTC
Post by Nathan Murphy
Are these CDs the best way to access unpublished Papal Regesta?
Registra Vaticana http://www.archivioapostolicovaticano.va/content/aav/it/attivita/ricerca-e-conservazione/progetti/strumenti-multimediali/registra-vaticana--rv--1-545---772-884.html
Registra Supplicationum http://www.archivioapostolicovaticano.va/content/aav/en/attivita/ricerca-e-conservazione/progetti/strumenti-multimediali/registra-supplicationum--rs--1-265---479---509---961-1169.html
Has anyone 'plucked' entries relating to Continental nations, like France, as has been done for Great Britain and Ireland? https://www.british-history.ac.uk/search/series/cal-papal-registers--brit-ie
There are two series of papal acts for France, titled *Papsturkunden in
Frankreich* - the first was edited by Wilhelm Wiederhold (1906-1913) in
seven parts, the second (neue Folge), edited by Hermann Meinert,
Johannes Ramackers and others starting in 1932, is still ongoing with at
least 12 volumes published to date.

2021-06-16 11:47:41 UTC
Post by Nathan Murphy
Are these CDs the best way to access unpublished Papal Regesta?
Registra Vaticana http://www.archivioapostolicovaticano.va/content/aav/it/attivita/ricerca-e-conservazione/progetti/strumenti-multimediali/registra-vaticana--rv--1-545---772-884.html
Registra Supplicationum http://www.archivioapostolicovaticano.va/content/aav/en/attivita/ricerca-e-conservazione/progetti/strumenti-multimediali/registra-supplicationum--rs--1-265---479---509---961-1169.html
Has anyone 'plucked' entries relating to Continental nations, like France, as has been done for Great Britain and Ireland? https://www.british-history.ac.uk/search/series/cal-papal-registers--brit-ie
I should have thought to suggest this before -

https://papsturkunden.de

Peter Stewart
Nathan Murphy
2021-06-16 20:53:23 UTC
I should have thought to suggest this before -
https://papsturkunden.de
Peter Stewart
Thanks Peter. I found the volume for the region of interest - Normandy. https://www.worldcat.org/title/papsturkunden-in-frankreich-neue-folge-2-band-normandie-553-1198/oclc/459677449?referer=di&ht=edition

I see this series cuts off at 1198. I wonder if a similar publication has been prepared for the Late Middle Ages? Containing items such as marriage dispensations?

Nathan
Peter Stewart
2021-06-16 22:53:06 UTC
Post by Nathan Murphy
Post by Peter Stewart
I should have thought to suggest this before -
https://papsturkunden.de
Peter Stewart
Thanks Peter. I found the volume for the region of interest - Normandy. https://www.worldcat.org/title/papsturkunden-in-frankreich-neue-folge-2-band-normandie-553-1198/oclc/459677449?referer=di&ht=edition
I see this series cuts off at 1198. I wonder if a similar publication has been prepared for the Late Middle Ages? Containing items such as marriage dispensations?
The cut-off at 1198 is because volumes of papal regesta are extant in
the Vatican archives from the pontificate of Innocent III onwards. These
are published, along with volumes of submissions made to Rome that
prompted many of the dispensations issued, for most of the late-medieval
period.

Rather than post a lot of useless bibliographic detail, it would be
simpler to narrow down your particular search to a pontificate (or
several) and then seek the relevant papal registers.

The two basic compilations for the medieval period are:

to 1198 -

Philipp Jaffé, *Regesta pontificum Romanorum ab condita ecclesia ad
annum post Christum natum MCXCVIII*, second edition, edited by Samuel
Löwenfeld & others, 2 vols (Leipzig, 1885-1888)

this is now in process of revision as detailed on the website linked
above - with the same title, edited by Klaus Herbers & others, 4 vols to
date (Göttingen, 2016-2020).

1198-1304 -

Augustus Potthast, *Regesta pontificum Romanorum inde ab anno post
Christum natum MCXCVIII ad annum MCCCIV*, 2 vols (Berlin, 1874-1875).

You can probably find searchable pdf scans of the 19th-century
publications online, and you can access the Göttingen database through
the link above for the period covered.

Or you can leap-frog to contemporary summaries or full texts by going
straight to the registers of the pope/s reigning at the time of the
marriage/s of interest.