Quarles of Ufford
Andre Sijnesael
2020-06-03 18:27:07 UTC
In the pedigree of my children there is the Dutch branche of the Quarles of Ufford family, descendants of John Quarles of Ufford, born London July 7., 1596,
died Westminster before Nov. 10.,1648. married Rotterdam, The Netherlands Oct. 31., 1628 Petronella van Berkel.

One of his ancestors was William Quarles. About him I found some information in "The Ancestor : a quarterly review of county and family history, heraldry and antiquities ..", nr 10, April 1904 and in "The East Anglican" Vol.3, page 171.
It says he came from Scotland in 1420 to Northampton County and that he there married Catherine Ufford, of the family of the Earls of Suffolk.
I also found some information on her on Geneanet, without sources, that she
was a daughter of William de Ufford (1365-1393) and an unknown wife.
William was a son of William de Ufford (1325-1381) and Joan de Montagu.

Can anyone help me on more information on William Quarles en Catharine (de) Ufford?
Thank you all in advance!

Best regard,

André Sijnesael
Spijkenisse, The Netherlands.
Vance Mead
2020-06-04 10:40:34 UTC
Were they in Ufford, Hhants back to 1420? I couldn't be sure before the 1420s, but they might have been in Gresham, Norfolk, back to the 1460s.

Any, this is probably a bit better than Geneanet.

First, in Visitations of Northamptonshire, 1564 and 1618-19, there is a pedigree of Quarles of Ufford:

https://archive.org/details/visitationsnort00vincgoog/page/n206/mode/2up

This has John – George – Francis – George and several other children, three of them named John.

No dates are given, but from other evidence, the first John was born before 1500. The earliest called “of Ufford” was the first George.

This Common Pleas record, from 1524, has a defendant George Quarles, of Ufford, "Lincolnshire", gentleman, who must be the same person.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/H8/CP40no1042/aCP40no1042fronts/IMG_0450.htm

I couldn’t find any earlier in Ufford, but there was a John Quarles of Gresham, Norfolk, mercer, who occurs several times in Common Pleas in the late 15th century.

For example here, in 1470:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT2/E4/CP40no837/aCP40no837fronts/IMG_0075.htm

And here, in 1465:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT2/E4/CP40no814/bCP40no814dorses/IMG_1514.htm

Agnes Qwarles, of Gresham, widow; John Quarles, of Gresham, yeoman, executors of Thomas Quarles, of Gresham, mercer.

If he was an executor of his father's will in 1465, then he must have been born around 1440 and his father around 1400 to 1415.
Vance Mead
2020-06-04 11:16:07 UTC
Were they in Ufford, Nhants back to 1420? I couldn't be sure before the 1520s, but they might have been in Gresham, Norfolk, back to the 1460s.

Anyway, this is probably a bit better than Geneanet.

First, in Visitations of Northamptonshire, 1564 and 1618-19, there is a pedigree of Quarles of Ufford:

https://archive.org/details/visitationsnort00vincgoog/page/n206/mode/2up

This has John – George – Francis – George and several other children, three of them named John.

No dates are given, but from other evidence, the first John was born before 1500 and maybe as early as 1440. The earliest called “of Ufford” was the first George.

Vance Mead
2020-06-04 11:35:09 UTC
This is worth having a look at.

Briefly:

William Quarles of King's Lynn, fl 1449
His son:
Thomas Quarles of Gresham, died 1462, wife Agnes Capron of Gresham (his will mentioned above)
His sons:
John Quarrels of Gresham and London (the mercer); and Henry Quarles of Gresham
John's sons:
William Quarles of Blakeney and Wiveton; George Quarles of Southorpe and Ufford

https://www.academia.edu/37291210/THE_MEDIEVAL_ORIGINS_OF_THE_QUARLES_FAMILY_OF_NORFOLK
Vance Mead
2020-06-04 12:08:47 UTC
In the article cited above, it is surmised that Thomas Quarles of Gresham is the son of William Wareles of Kings/Bishops Lynn.

There is a William Warles or Wareles, of Bishops Lynn, merchant, mentioned several times in Common Pleas records between the 1430s and 1450s. For example, here in 1453, fourth entry, plaintiff Roger Gloos.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no768/bCP40no768dorses/IMG_1354.htm
Vance Mead
2020-06-04 19:08:14 UTC
Of particular interest in that pdf is the biography of William Quarles of Blakeney, Cley and Wiveton, starting on page 45. William's son was John, the ancestor of the Quarles family in the Netherlands.

In footnote 139:

The claim of originating from Scotland and marrying an heiress of Ufford was one of the late inventions in a spurious pedigree for the Quarles van Ufford family, the irony being that the family never lived in the place from which it took its name, a fact that has been well known to it for some time.

William and his family apparently never lived in Ufford. That was William's brother George and George's descendants.
Vance Mead
2020-06-08 09:01:01 UTC
I had another look at the records of William Warles of Bishops Lynn, merchant. It seems to me that he and Thomas Quarles of Gresham can't be father and son, since they were roughly the same age. Thomas left a will in 1462, with his son John as one of the executors. John must have been born before 1441 and Thomas was probably born in the range 1390 to 1415. William Warles is found between 1434 and 1465 (with some additional Bishops Lynn borough records in the 1440s and 50s). So he was probably born in the range 1390 to 1410. If he and Thomas Quarles are related at all (doubtful), then they might be brothers but not father and son.

1434. William Warles, of Bishops Lenn
Second entry
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no692/aCP40no692fronts/IMG_0388.htm

1446. William Warles, burgess of Lynn (TNA Discovery)

1453. William Warles, of Bishops Lenn, merchant
Fourth entry
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no768/bCP40no768dorses/IMG_1354.htm

1455. William Warles, of Bishops Lenn, merchant
Third entry
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no776/bCP40no776dorses/IMG_1575.htm

1465. William Warles, of Bishops Lenn, merchant
Fourth entry
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT2/E4/CP40no814/bCP40no814dorses/IMG_1770.htm
h***@yahoo.com
2020-06-11 20:49:46 UTC
Here's a run-down of the information on the Quarles family that currently appears on the Genealogics website. The first person listed in the 8th generation, Anne Moryson of Cadeny, Lincolnshire who married Roger Townsend of Horstead, Norfolk (#s 4770 and 4771 in the ancestry of the late Princess of Wales). This family is also ancestral to James & Helena Mercer Claypoole, immigrants from London to Philadelphia in 1683.

https://www.genealogics.org/descendtext.php?personID=I00710443&tree=LEO&display=block&generations=8
wjhonson
2020-06-12 17:28:25 UTC
Just a note that Leo there prefers that Margary (Quarles) Wingfield be made a daughter of George. However she is also mentioned as a daughter of John.

The jury is out.
John Higgins
2020-06-12 18:09:35 UTC
What is your source for the identification of Margery as a daughter of John Quarles?
wjhonson
2020-06-12 21:21:27 UTC
I just read Rosie Bevan's great write-up on the early Quarles here

https://www.academia.edu/37291210/THE_MEDIEVAL_ORIGINS_OF_THE_QUARLES_FAMILY_OF_NORFOLK

Rosie mentions in passing this identification of Margery as a daughter of JOHN and proceeds, in my opinion, to destroy that, in favor of her being a daughter of George.
wjhonson
2020-06-12 21:48:02 UTC
I just read Rosie Bevan's great write-up on the early Quarles here
https://www.academia.edu/37291210/THE_MEDIEVAL_ORIGINS_OF_THE_QUARLES_FAMILY_OF_NORFOLK
Rosie mentions in passing this identification of Margery as a daughter of JOHN and proceeds, in my opinion, to destroy that, in favor of her being a daughter of George.
It seems the most likely that is was this John Quarles called "merchant adventurer" bap 21 Oct 1563 St Peter the Poor, London who is the ancestor of the Dutch Quarles family

https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_History_of_the_Parish_of_St_Laurence_P/nKJfAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=John%20quarles%20Dorothy%20Darrell&pg=PA234&printsec=frontcover&bsq=John%20quarles%20Dorothy%20Darrell
wjhonson
2020-06-12 22:25:14 UTC
See footnote where it calls Margery the sister of George, instead of his daughter

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZBM-AQAAMAAJ&lpg=RA1-PA303&ots=AhMJfJl6M5&dq=john%20quarles%20of%20grays%20inn%20gent&pg=RA1-PA303#v=onepage&q=john%20quarles%20of%20grays%20inn%20gent&f=false
John Higgins
2020-06-12 23:44:51 UTC
I just read Rosie Bevan's great write-up on the early Quarles here
https://www.academia.edu/37291210/THE_MEDIEVAL_ORIGINS_OF_THE_QUARLES_FAMILY_OF_NORFOLK
Rosie mentions in passing this identification of Margery as a daughter of JOHN and proceeds, in my opinion, to destroy that, in favor of her being a daughter of George.
I'm glad you found and read Rosie Bevan's article, which was published in vol.10 of Foundations. The link for it was cited earlier in this thread (see the 2nd post of Vance Mead above). There is a note about Rosie's conclusion on the Genealogics page for Margery Quarles - see here:
https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00415395&tree=LEO

You should ignore all the older publications (including the East Anglian that you cited, as well as a number of visitations) that called Margery a daughter of John.

FWIW the Richardson books (at least PA and MCA) still show Margery as a daughter of John Quarles rather than George. Go figure....

Back in 1999, Leo identified william Quarles (b. 1560), rather than his brother John (b. 1563), as the ancestor of the Dutch Quarles family.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/soc.genealogy.medieval/AIAkBU9caKM/_uxbPjD0hmsJ;context-place=forum/soc.genealogy.medieval
I think that makes more sense, based on the data in Genealogics - check the descendants of William in Genealogics, and particularly his son John.
https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00040588&tree=LEO