Edmund Moodeye(Moody)
Loren Varga
2021-05-17 21:00:43 UTC
Dear Group. It seems that in the year 1525 Henry VIII decided to go hunting with his hawks. He apparently decided to pole vault over a stream but most likely due to his corpulence the pole broke and his head with his body attached to it became stuck in the clay.
My ancestor Edmund Moody his footman jumped into the water and held his head up so that the king would not drown until others could help remove the king from the water.
Henry rewarded Edmund with a coat of arms and money .

I am interested in the wife and parentage of this Edmund who really who would have changed history had it not been for the rescue of Henry VIII.

Regards:
Loren
taf
2021-05-17 21:29:34 UTC
I am interested in the wife and parentage of this Edmund who really who would have changed history had it not been for the rescue of Henry VIII.
Where was he from, when did he die, how do you connect back to him? or is he just a name in a family story without further information, which would make it hard to identify him in order to provide marriage and parentage.

taf
James Baker
2021-05-18 00:29:04 UTC
This was discussed in the newsgroup in 2004:

https://groups.google.com/g/soc.genealogy.medieval/c/yAvq3dvoQgw

(Hope that gets the link right)
Edmund Moodye was a great-grandfather of a few different immigrants to America, including John Moody of Hartford, CT; William Moody of Newbury, MA; and Mrs. Frances (Moody) Kilbourn of Wethersfield, CT.
taf
Jeff Martin
The "History of Hitchin" states that "From Edward Moody, 1504, whose son twenty years after saved the great despoiler's life when he fell head first into the Hiz, they received two quarters of malt."- "History of Hitchin"- Reginald L. Hine, Gresham Press, Old Woking, Surrey, 1927- Vol. I, p. 140
Will Johnson
2021-05-19 04:06:21 UTC
Post by Loren Varga
Dear Group. It seems that in the year 1525 Henry VIII decided to go hunting with his hawks. He apparently decided to pole vault over a stream but most likely due to his corpulence the pole broke and his head with his body attached to it became stuck in the clay.
My ancestor Edmund Moody his footman jumped into the water and held his head up so that the king would not drown until others could help remove the king from the water.
All the sources I see state something(at least from 1835) that this story is "'related by Hall", evidently a prior historian.
Who is Hall?
Vance Mead
2021-05-19 04:22:52 UTC
Probably Edward Hall, The Union of the Two Noble and Illustrate Famelies of Lancastre and Yorke (1548)
Who is Hall?
Peter Stewart
2021-05-19 04:43:15 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Post by Loren Varga
Dear Group. It seems that in the year 1525 Henry VIII decided to go hunting with his hawks. He apparently decided to pole vault over a stream but most likely due to his corpulence the pole broke and his head with his body attached to it became stuck in the clay.
My ancestor Edmund Moody his footman jumped into the water and held his head up so that the king would not drown until others could help remove the king from the water.
All the sources I see state something(at least from 1835) that this story is "'related by Hall", evidently a prior historian.
Who is Hall?
The work of Edward Hall is better known simply as "Hall's chronicle" -
the passage about Edmund Moody is here (second-last paragraph of 16
Henry VIII).

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.49015000231820&view=1up&seq=709.

Peter Stewart
Will Johnson
2021-05-19 15:37:33 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Post by Loren Varga
[...]
Thanks I see that there is no mention of any kind of reward for Edmund
So that this is a later addition and we can't really identify this person at all
Unless Edmund did something odd like leave a will in which he states that he was a footman to H8 and saved him from death and etc
Vance Mead
2021-05-19 16:12:46 UTC
There was a footman named Edmund Mody:

1533
issue of liveries to his footmen Robert Grene, William Armourer, William Cokkes, Thomas Hutton, James Tore and Edmund Mody
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/6d2f3990-4ac1-45db-91b1-7d280ee49698

1539
Edm. Mody (Mowdy), footman, 15s. 2d.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol14/no2/pp303-358
Vance Mead
2021-05-19 17:40:08 UTC
There was another Edmund Mody or Modye, of Dover, an MP in 1545. He had been a foot soldier of the crown. I wonder if the two Edmunds might have been conflated?
https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/mody-edmund-1507-52

Will of Edmund Modye, of Dover, in 1552
https://wills.canterbury-cathedral.org
Vance Mead
2021-05-20 14:29:02 UTC
I had another look at Letters and Papers of Henry VIII ( https://www.british-history.ac.uk/search?query=%22edm%20mody%22 )

Also at lay subsidies for Suffolk in 1524 and 1568. And it seems to me that the heroic footman is actually Edmund Mody of Dover. First, a footman in 1540 was not a domestic servant, that's the 18th century definition. In 1540 a footman was a foot soldier, like Edmund Mody in Dover, who rose to the rank of Captain. He is recorded 1538 to 1545, and left a will in 1552.

Edmund Mody in Letters and Papers:
- March 1538. Edm. Mody, footman, 15s. 2d, quarters wages
- March 1539. Edm. Mody (Mowdy), footman, 15s. 2d. quarterly wages
- December 1540 On the Hill beyond the Pyrry: Edm. Mody, captain. Names of persons in the King's fortresses, with the wages due to them from 1 Oct. to 31 Dec. 32 Henry VIII. (the rate being: a captain, 12d. to 24d. a day)
- January 1541. Edm. Mody, captain, Folston Castle (Folkstone, Kent)
- September 1542. Edm. Modye, footman, 15s. 2d.
- September 1543. Edm. Modye captain of the fortification upon the hill beyond Dover pier
- December 1545. Edm. Mody 15s. 2d. Quarter wages
- December 1545. Warrant to Sir Thos. Seymour to deliver to Edm. Modie 2 barrels of corn powder and —— (blank) last of serpentine powder for "the shot of the ordnance at Arclif Bulwerk and the basilisco there.

Then I looked at the lay subsidies. In the Suffolk 1568 subsidy there is:
Multon. Richard Modye 40 pounds in goods, pays 1 / 13 / 4

This is the perported son of Edmund Mody. He was a substantial yeoman (PCC Will, 1574).

Then the Suffolk 1524 subsidy:
- Lelsey (Lindsey, about 15 miles southeast of Moulton), John Mody 5 pounds, pays 2 / 6
- Lidgate (about 3 miles south of Moulton). Mostly illegible. John Mody
- Barowe (Barrow, about 3 miles east of Moulton), John Mody, laborer

I haven't found an Edmund Mody in Suffolk. I think if there was one, a knight or a squire, there would be records of him. So I think it makes more sense to look in the vicinity of Moulton for a yeoman or husbandman. There are some John Modys in Common Pleas in that area. Next post.
Vance Mead
2021-05-20 14:46:22 UTC
There are very many people in Common Pleas named John Mody at that time, but just one in this area.

Common Pleas, Hilary term 1529, d 6227
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H8/CP40no1060/bCP40no1060dorses/IMG_6227.htm
Suff. Richard Gawsell, esq versus Pye, William, of Dalham, husbandman; Avys, William, of Denham, husbandman; Mody, John, of Denham, husbandman; Lynge, Thomas, of Nedeham, husbandman; Elsyng, John, of Dunstall Grene, husbandman; Burgeon, Robert, of Dunstall Grene, husbandman; Jacob, Thomas, of Islam, Cams, husbandman; Isabell, Thomas, of Cheveley, Cams, warrener; Walker, John, of Asshley, Cams, yeoman; Webster, Robert, of Barton Mylles, husbandman. Trespass: free warren

Most of the places mentioned - Dalham, Denham, Nedeham, Dunstall Green - are within 2 or 3 miles of Moulton and Barrow. So I think John Mody of Denham, husbandman, could be a person of interest. It's about 2 miles from Denham to Moulton.
Vance Mead
2021-05-22 06:32:38 UTC
Here is something about Edmund Moody of Bury St Edmunds. A grant of arms by Hawley Clarenceux to
Edmund Moody, of Bury, 6 October 1541.

Page 222 (pasge 118-119 of flipbook)
https://suffolkrecordssociety.com/a-dictionary-of-suffolk-arms-flipbook/
Vance Mead
2021-05-22 07:37:42 UTC
Here are some wills of Moody of Suffolk.

Calendar of wills at Bury St. Edmunds, 1520-1650

John Moody of Lidgate, 1560
https://archive.org/details/calendarofwillsa01sudb/page/n181/mode/2up
This must be the same John Mody as in the 1524 lay subsidy mentioned above, two or three miles south of Moulton.

William Moody of Cockfield, 1568-9
https://archive.org/details/calendarofwillsa01sudb/page/n217/mode/2up
Cockfield is south of Bury, about 15 miles from Moulton

Also, from Calendar of Pre-reformation wills registered at Bury St Edmunds

Robert Mody of Fynberg Magna, made Sept. 1453, probate March 1453/54
https://archive.org/details/calendarofpreref00redsrich/page/68/mode/2up
Great Finborough is east of Bury, about 20 miles from Moulton.

Richard Mody, of Newton, made 1466, probate 1468
https://archive.org/details/calendarofpreref00redsrich/page/94/mode/2up
Newton is near Sudbury, about 20 miles from Moulton.

I couldn't find a will for Edmund Moody.