The mother of Rev. John Norcott of Ballygarrett
Add Reply
B T Shannon
2016-02-23 14:10:51 UTC
Hello,

Apologies for a question chronologically off-topic; medieval lineages are implicated. At Genealogics the wife of Rev. Charles Norcote/Northcote of Templequinlan (c 1617-1661/62) and mother of Rev. John Norcott of Ballygarrett (1636-1719) appears as NN Aylesbury, a daughter of Sir Thomas Aylesbury (d. 1657, Breda) and Anne Denman.
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00536715&tree=LEO
I am looking for that claim's source. Leo van de Pas kindly contacted the person who supplied the pedigree, who remembered her source as Robert George Maunsell's History of Maunsell. That book is a major study for these Norcotts but includes no identity for the mother of Rev. John Norcott. I find references to a near descendant with middle name Hyde (Frances, dau of Sir Thomas Aylesbury and Anne Denman m. Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon), but I've not managed to locate a no source for the claimed Norcote-Aylesbury marriage and see no obvious signs of association between these families.

Does anyone know whether there is a good source for the identity of the mother of Rev. John Norcott of Ballygarrett?

Beth Shannon
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-05 03:50:13 UTC
Hi Beth,
I'm also searching for the mother of Rev John Norcott and was wondering if you have found anything since this post?

Rgds
Ann
Beth Shannon
j***@gmail.com
2019-09-25 17:57:03 UTC
Hello I would be very interested in any information on this subject, my mother was born a Norcott Rev John is my 7 times gt grandad, I have seen some family papers on the matter but they still don't provide definite proof, very frustrating

Regards Derek
Scott Swanson
2019-09-27 21:14:14 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
Hello I would be very interested in any information on this subject, my mother was born a Norcott Rev John is my 7 times gt grandad, I have seen some family papers on the matter but they still don't provide definite proof, very frustrating
Regards Derek
I corresponded with Leo van de Pas about this identification in 2012.

He replied that he had got the information from an informant in western Australia and wrote to her for her sources.

She replied that the information came from an account of the Norcott Family by Colonel William Norcott, Rifle Brigade, copied from a family paper: "The first of our name who came over to Ireland was William Norcott, Chaplain to William Prince of Orange, and Dean of Exeter. His father and old Chancellor Hyde married two sisters. The Chancellor’s second daughter married James II, King of England. Queen Anne was the issue of this marriage so that Dean Norcott was great Uncle to Queen Anne."

Leo added the comment: It was in fact William's grandfather, not father, that married Barbara Aylesbury and it was her sister Frances that was the mother of Lady Anne Hyde, who in turn was the mother of Anne Stuart, Queen of England 1702-14, therefore William's grandparents were Great Uncle and Great Aunt to Queen Anne, also rendering William a 2nd cousin to Queen Anne (and for that matter her sister Queen Mary I689-95).

No list of the deans of Exeter nor the CCED name William Norcott (or Northcote) as Dean of Exeter.

Barbara Alesbury daughter of Sir Thomas Alesbury [sic] was baptised 9 May 1627 at St Margaret’s Westminster. Since John Norcott held Irish benefices as early as 1661, 34 years later, it is unlikely that she was his mother.

If it is the Maunsell family that brings you to the Norcotts, the account of their ancestry offered by Robert George Maunsell in History of Maunsell or Mansel is seriously flawed. Thomas Maunsell of Chicheley was not the son of Richard Maunsell and Margaret Fairfax but of a mch humbler John Maunsell husbandman of Chicheley. The Maunsell ancestry is correctly set out by A. C. Chibnall in Beyond Sherington, chapter 13.

Scott Swanson
***@butler.edu