CUNNINGHAM
r***@gmail.com
2016-07-14 19:12:24 UTC
John ,
My no. 236 John Cunningham, a Writer to the Signet, died 10/9/1768- this will
you state might well be his elder brother's, William! He was also laird of
Balbogie - where Bandalloch is i do not know, but I would surmise that this
land might be near North Leith!
I can now be more precise regarding these CUNNINGHAMS/
CUNINGHAMS/CUNNINGHAMES (as the name is spelt differently in each successive
generation). The first one who is definitely of the family is a
1 William Cunningham, Laird of DRUMBEG and Bandalloch in Stirlingshire
his son
2. John CUNNINGHAM, of BALLINDALOCH (also spelt Bandalloch!)
+ 24/2/1716 x 10/10/1678 Jean WEIR, fa William WEIR of BLACKWOOD.
FROM WHOM 2 SONS
a) William CUNNINCHAM, of Ballindalloch, heir special in Ballindalloch,
Kilfassit, Bent, Cornoquhill and Keirhill ; Stirlingshire 26/4/1716 +1/1763
b) John Cunningham, of Bandalloch and Balbogie *10/5/1687 +10/9/1768 (my
ancestor, no. 236)
What I found intriguing was that Alexander CUNNINGHAM, Earl of Glencairn, was
heir of William in 40 mrks of Land in Ballindalloch, including the lands of
Little Ballindaloch, Keirhill, Polgair, Ubert Bent and Mullannacleirich on
8/2/1666.
Some of these lands are identical to those held by William, above, -this is
where I think there may be a more than remote connection to the Glencairn
Stem.
Might your archives mention these other lands amongst yur Cunninghams? or
amongst Glencairn Cadets?
Meanwhile I shall try to find this will oop North!
Thank you for your ersponse,
Peter G
74 Elms Road
London, SW4 9EW, GB
Fax: (0)207 622 4505
Tel : (0)207 622 9623
Peter; If my father, I, and our cousin Ogle have done our research correctly, then our line of Cunningham's goes back to John and William of Ballindaloch. John Cunningham, husband of Jean Weir was probably our ancestor also. Here's my 'hypothetical' tree: Richard L.Cunningham (me)- Richard Ross Cunningham- Samuel Ross Cunningham-Robert Reed Cunningham-Robert Black C.-Matthew Richmond C.+Sarah McClure Gaston-John C.+ Jennet Jane-Archibald C.+Elsbeth Orr-John C.+Margaret Muir-John C.+ Jean Weir. I will research more to confirm or not.

Richard L Cunningham
137 Columbine Dr.
Apt.306
Winston-Salem, NC. USA
27106
b***@gmail.com
2020-08-13 16:54:40 UTC
Post by r***@gmail.com
[...]
Hello -
I have been trying too -- to trace backward from my Cunningham roots into the earlier lines. I have hit a roadblock because my 4th or 5th great grandfather was John Cunningham of Clapham, Suffolk, England who is the father of Rev. John William Cunningham -- a notable figure in his era. But how or who of the Cunningham line decided to move from Glasgow down to settle in Clapham is a mystery. I do have genetic ancestry that lived in and around the environs of Glasgow, so I see there is a genetic lineage, but not a name to link the pre-1755 history to the earlier lineage. Any help you can give me as to where to start my searching would be most appreciated!
Barbara (my mother was a 7th generation of Cunninghams associated with the ministry dependent from John William Cunningham. His mother is buried at Harrow on the Hill, where is brother was curate.)
b***@gmail.com
2020-08-13 17:07:56 UTC
I too have Cunningham ancestors, finishing with a Colonel of the Scots
Brigade at the Hague in 1760 or therabouts. My particular problem is that I
am finding it very hard to try to match them up with one of the main stems
of the Cunninghams, although judging by their estate 'Bandalloch' in the late
16th and early 17th C, it seems that they are close to the Earls of Glencairn
as this estate seemed to be part of their holdings. None of the Scottish
archives can shed any lihgt on this branch although it seesm fairly certain
that they descend from a cadet of the 1st or 2nd Earl.
does anyone have or know of a good source for The Glencairn pedigree?
Peter G
" The Irish are fair people - they never speak well of one another" - Ben
Johnson
74 Elms Road
London, SW4 9EW, GB
Fax: (0)207 622 4505
Tel : (0)207 622 9623
Hello -
I have been trying too -- to trace backward from my Cunningham roots into the earlier lines. I have hit a roadblock because my 4th or 5th great grandfather was John Cunningham of Clapham, Suffolk, England who is the father of Rev. John William Cunningham -- a notable figure in his era. But how or who of the Cunningham line decided to move from Glasgow down to settle in Clapham is a mystery. I do have genetic ancestry that lived in and around the environs of Glasgow, so I see there is a genetic lineage, but not a name to link the pre-1755 history to the earlier lineage. Any help you can give me as to where to start my searching would be most appreciated!

Barbara (my mother was a 7th generation of Cunninghams associated with the ministry decendent from John William Cunningham. His mother is buried at Harrow on the Hill, where is brother Francis was curate.)