Har(t)grave of Lincolnshire - and Norfolk?
Mark Jennings
2021-04-09 08:43:25 UTC
Notes & Queries, 5th Series, X, 212 claims that Thomas Haryson of Great Plumstead and Postwick, Norfolk, married in 1583 Elizabeth, "daughter and sole heiress of James Hargrave, esquire, of Blickling", and as a consequence, their issue quartered her arms, "azure, a fess argent, fretty gules, between 2 stags in full course or, attired of the second".

This seems to be a nonsense, since as far as I can determine there was no James Hargrave, esquire, of Blickling. Perhaps this is a conflation with the Revd James Hargrave, MA (c1580-1645), of Trinity College, Cambridge, who was presented as Rector of Blickling in 1605.

I have not found any definitive confirmation, but I suspect that clergyman was the son of an earlier cleric, James Hargrave aka Hartgrave, BA (c1553-1614), also of Trinity College, Cambridge, whose career culminated in appointment as incumbent of Aldborough and Calthorpe, Norfolk [the parish next to Blickling). There was also a Revd John Hargrave (c1555-1632), of Trinity College, rector of the next-door parish of Wolterton, whom Al. Cantab. says was the brother of the earlier James.

Meanwhile, the arms attributed to Hargrave of Blickling were those granted to John Hartgrave [sic] of Stamford and Bolingbroke, Lincolnshire (d 1547) by Sir Christopher Barker, Garter 1536-1550. Maddison's _Lincolnshire Pedigrees_ has an entry for this man's family; he had three sons: Richard (dsp c1589), George (dspm 1591) and Francis (d 1592, leaving issue by 2 marriages).

Is anyone aware of any connection between the Har(t)graves of Norfolk and the Har(t)graves of Lincolnshire?
ravinma...@yahoo.com
2021-05-05 17:45:02 UTC
Post by Mark Jennings
[...]
Perhaps one of these ministers was the ".... Hargrave of Algrave [?] in Norfolk, clerk," married to Anne, daughter of Christopher and Elizabeth (Palgrave) Davye of Gunthorpe, Norfolk.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31158003392379&view=1up&seq=104