Volunteers Needed for Bishop's Register transcription - just 12 leaves long
Add Reply
Wibs
2018-11-17 10:10:03 UTC
Hi,

I have acquired digital Hi-Rez images of an unpublished early 1400s bishop's register, consisting of just 12 leaves. My palaeographic skills are quite dire, so I am looking for a few volunteers to each translate a leaf of the register, so I can start work on the English translation (second part of the project), then publish the register.

I can't offer any monetary recompense, but can offer my sincere thanks for any help, and of course, full attribution in the final published register.

Anyone up for this?

A sample leaf from the register is available from my Dropbox account:

Thanks

Wibs
Nathan Murphy
2018-11-17 18:19:30 UTC
Post by Wibs
Hi,
I have acquired digital Hi-Rez images of an unpublished early 1400s bishop's register, consisting of just 12 leaves. My palaeographic skills are quite dire, so I am looking for a few volunteers to each translate a leaf of the register, so I can start work on the English translation (second part of the project), then publish the register.
I can't offer any monetary recompense, but can offer my sincere thanks for any help, and of course, full attribution in the final published register.
Anyone up for this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zxhf17529kk84bt/29.01.2018%20withers%20008.JPG?dl=0
Thanks
Wibs
On this page, entries concerning clergymen at churches in Sarum [Salisbury] Diocese, period of George Lenthorp, vicar general.

First entry:
Institution, Church of Wodehay: Thomas Croxby, after resignation of sir John Payn, previous rector

Second entry:
Institution, Church of Deverell Langebrigge [Longbridge Deverill, Wilts]: Thomas Wylkoc chaplain, vacant after death of sir Stephen Lucas, previous vicar

Third entry:
Institution, Parish of Blessed Mary, Creeklade [Cricklade St Mary, Wilts]: John Overton alias Overbury, after resignation of sir Adam Danngervile, previous rector ... John George late of Bandyngton [Baunton, Gloucs]... John Pedewell

Fourth entry:
P[ro]nuntacio[?]
John Kaynell, Rector of Storghton [Stourton, Wilts]
Thomas Raly, Rector of Trowbrigge [Trowbridge, Wilts]

Fifth entry:
Institution, Parish of Blessed Mary of Weststret, Wilton [Wilton, Wilts]: Robert ...ille, left vacant by death of previous rector sir Thomas Yeman
Wibs
Many thanks Nathan. Care to have a go at another one? Just to clarify, there are only 6 folios to this register, so with the recto and verso sides there are 12 pages in all.
Wibs
2018-11-29 20:25:13 UTC
Big thanks to Nathan, et al for all their help with the Institutions.

I have two little snippets from the registers that also need transcribing/translating if anyone would like to give either a go (or just the gist). One is the heading of the Institution section (5 lines, Snippet 1), and the other is the heading of the register itself that was inserted out of place, but now found,(7 lines, Snippet 2).

Snippet 1: Loading Image...
Snippet 2: Loading Image...

Thanks to all,

Wibs
Wibs
2018-12-13 15:49:49 UTC
Post by Wibs
Big thanks to Nathan, et al for all their help with the Institutions.
I have two little snippets from the registers that also need transcribing/translating if anyone would like to give either a go (or just the gist). One is the heading of the Institution section (5 lines, Snippet 1), and the other is the heading of the register itself that was inserted out of place, but now found,(7 lines, Snippet 2).
Snippet 1: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u7e3dqrhqovp5cp/Snippet%201.jpg?dl=0
Snippet 2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogllwbrra124c6v/Snippet%202.jpg?dl=0
Thanks to all,
Wibs
Nothing so far on the above two snippets. Can anyone help? It would be most appreciated.

Wibs