Pretyman descends from Quarles
2020-06-14 01:09:17 UTC
While poking around the Quarles family, I discovered a missing link in my database where

Anne Quarles, co-heiress of her father John called "merchant adventurer" (he bap 21 Oct 1563)
married
George Turpin of Knaptoft

and were the parents of
Elizabeth Turpin, sole heiress of her father
married
John Pretyman of Lodington Leics, Knt and Bnt "eldest son"

and were the parents of several children, not here enumerated

In trying to place better dates on these people I threw some of the names on the wall of Access to Archives and fished back this

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/17c6248e-4397-4844-90cb-fd9d51a090c3

Le Neve's Pedigrees does not know who this woman was, just calling her "daughter of Mints" but here we get the answer

"Margaret Prettyman, widow of John, daughter & heir of Sir Matthew Mennes, on behalf of her son John, an infant."
wjhonson
2020-06-14 01:31:10 UTC
There is rather a startling connection here, which will help us date this document a bit better.

This same Margaret Mennes became rather famous by the death of her grandfather, John Stewart Earl of Carrick.

Leo does not show any children for John Stewart and his wife Elizabeth Howard

https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00272303&tree=LEO

However there is a paper read into the House of Lords committee on priveledges which leaves no doubt that she was the claimed heiress in 1671 at least

https://books.google.com/books?id=UuVbAAAAQAAJ&lpg=PA310&ots=zhy-poVnM2&dq=margaret%20mennes%20countess%20carrick&pg=PA310#v=onepage&q&f=true
wjhonson
2020-06-14 01:43:04 UTC
Matthew Mennes and Margaret Stewart were married
St Margaret, Westminster (Batch M00160-1 wj)