"Westminster Calendar" Wills
C. Kinbote
2020-08-08 12:49:10 UTC
All,

A little off topic. In “Percy Church, a Forgotten Royalist,” The Genealogist, 8:214, Prof. A.H. Church refers to the extensive will of John Church(e), alderman of Maldon, Essex, p. His will, presumably proved late 1559/60, is "in the Westminster Calendar" (see p. 219). Does anyone know to which court he is referring? I don't see the will in the Essex Record Office's catalogue, nor does it appear in Ancestry's London wills. That said, if I knew which court was calendared here, I'd give that source a much closer look.

The only other references to "Westminster Calendar" seem to refer back to Church's work.

Article available here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112052678932&view=2up&seq=236&size=200

Thanks for any assistance,

Travis
Wibs
2020-08-08 14:43:49 UTC
All,
A little off topic. In “Percy Church, a Forgotten Royalist,” The Genealogist, 8:214, Prof. A.H. Church refers to the extensive will of John Church(e), alderman of Maldon, Essex, p. His will, presumably proved late 1559/60, is "in the Westminster Calendar" (see p. 219). Does anyone know to which court he is referring? I don't see the will in the Essex Record Office's catalogue, nor does it appear in Ancestry's London wills. That said, if I knew which court was calendared here, I'd give that source a much closer look.
The only other references to "Westminster Calendar" seem to refer back to Church's work.
Article available here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uiug.30112052678932&view=2up&seq=236&size=200
Thanks for any assistance,
Travis
This could be A. M. Burke's "Indexes to the Ancient Testamentary Records of Westminster", which provides calendars to peculiar court records, testamentary records in the Westminster Abbey muniments, etc.

https://archive.org/details/indexestoancient00burk

Wibs
Wibs
2020-08-08 14:51:35 UTC
Post by Wibs
[...]
The will of John Church (1561) is referenced at page 16 of the book I posted (206 Bracy), read the notes on pages viii and ix

Wibs
Travis Miscia
2020-08-18 15:06:50 UTC
Post by Wibs
[...]