Fenwick of Thakeham
Add Reply
Will Johnson
2021-08-27 18:14:40 UTC
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/sussex/vol6/pt2/pp34-40

Edward Apsley and Elizabeth Elmes have a post nuptial settlement dated 1 Jul 1590

Is there a pedigree for this family in some visitation?
Will Johnson
2021-08-27 18:20:30 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/sussex/vol6/pt2/pp34-40
Edward Apsley and Elizabeth Elmes have a post nuptial settlement dated 1 Jul 1590
Is there a pedigree for this family in some visitation?
Elizabeth Fenwick, later Haselrigg, was a co-heiress of her father

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/sussex/vol6/pt2/pp34-40

states that she was holding her own courts at Thakeham prior to her marriage which married occurred by 1659

How old did a girl have to be to be holding courts? 18? 21? something else?
Will Johnson
2021-08-27 20:52:17 UTC
Edward /Apsley/ of Thakeham, co Sussex 1590; esq 1590; Knt
died in 1610 or 1611 ?
He has a will at A2A
but there also appears to be something called a "sentence" in 1613

PROB 11/121/194

His wife Elizabeth nee Elmes was living until 1624 and dead by 1626
She was the youngest daughter of
Edmond /Elmes/ of Papley 1554; of Lylford, co Northamp -1563-1587-; esq -1554-1590-
and
Alice /St John/ (b 1520-1533)

They had four (or more) children: Elizabeth, Alice, Edward, and Anne
*All* four were minors when their father made his will
Edward was put into wardship when was resigned later, so perhaps the year he came of age (which is not known to me)

I don't know when any of these children were baptised, but Elizabeth was married 13 Jan 1625 to
Albertus /Morton/ , Knt 1617, Secretary of State; HoW
some sources called his surname "Norton"
This couple had no children. He died intestate 6 Sep 1625 just months after their 13 Jan 1625 St Margaret, Westminster (Batch M001601 wj)
She died a year later and had admon 29 Dec 1626
They probably met at court where Elizabeth was the Queen of Bohemia's maid of honor

Alice Apsley married first
John /Boteler/ of Teston, Kent; Knt
eldest son of his father
Oliver /Boteler/ of Sharnbrooke, co Bed; Knt 1604
by Anne /Barham/ only daughter and heiress of her father
They *also* had no children
John died 2 Aug 1634 Tonbridge, co Kent; d.s.p. testate

Alice married secondly by 1646
George /Fenwick/ of Brinckbourne, co Northumberland; esq; W
and they had Elizabeth Fenwick who m Thomas /Hasellrigg/ of Noseley; Knt; 3rd Bnt
Alice was dead by 1657

Edward /Apsley/ of Thakeham, co Sussex; Col
died in 1651
unmarried; Will 11 Oct 1651

Anne Apsley is the mystery
she married
Matthew /Caldicott/ of Sherington, co Sussex

I can find nothing more about her or her husband
Even though they apparently lived in the Manor of Sherington
Leslie Mahler
2021-08-27 22:52:41 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
[...]
The Apsley family is recorded in the Visitation of Sussex:

https://archive.org/details/visitationsofcou5354beno/page/n103/mode/2up

The Caldecots are detailed in the 1662 Visitation of Sussex. Some of their descendants are traced here:

https://www.genealogics.org/descendtext.php?personID=I00472551&tree=LEO&display=block&generations=8

Leslie
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 14:05:32 UTC
Post by Leslie Mahler
Post by Will Johnson
[...]
The Caldecot link is a link to Genealogics just for Grace, showing no parents for her, no siblings.

Do we know that this Grace is in some way connected to that Matthew of Sherington who married Anne Apsley?
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 14:33:14 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
[...]
Reviewing my sources again, I now think this man's name was Matthias, not Matthew.
I find one of this name somehow attached to a place called something like Semyston
I can't quite read it in this weird handwriting.
Will Johnson
Selmeston, in Sussex
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 14:43:13 UTC
It seems possible, perhaps probably, that this Matthias Caldicott by Anne Apsley was the *father* of that Richard Caldicott who m Grace Boyes and left three co-heiresses at his own death

So I expect to find lands in Selmeston, and/or Sherrington, somehow being disposed of amongst them all.
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 14:47:04 UTC
There is exact chronology at last, in this line with the co-heiresses of Richard.
One of those three girls, Elizabeth when she died 25 Dec 1725 was "aet 81"
This one married Apsley Newton of Southover, co Sussex; esq, and he was baptised 11 Mar 1639

Perhaps I can find the baptisms of the other girls now
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 14:53:15 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
There is exact chronology at last, in this line with the co-heiresses of Richard.
One of those three girls, Elizabeth when she died 25 Dec 1725 was "aet 81"
This one married Apsley Newton of Southover, co Sussex; esq, and he was baptised 11 Mar 1639
Perhaps I can find the baptisms of the other girls now
Grace Caldecott, eldest co-heiress, bap 15 Apr 1638 Hawkhurst, co Kent (Batch I01555-1 wj)
Cordelia bap 10 Oct 1641 Hawkhurst, co Kent (Batch I01555-1 wj)

I don't see the third girl, perhaps they moved

However the parents Richard Caldecote and Grace Boys with specification that her father was William Boys have a marriage entry
Hawkhurst, co Kent (Batch I01555-1 wj)

If Richard, as I suspect was the son of Matthias by Anne Apsley, he has to be born 1611/1619
Will Johnson
I think this Anne must have died very quickly, as I see another marriage for Matthias to an Anne Tornor (sic) 23 Oct 1618 at Withyham M15201-2 wj
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 14:59:08 UTC
Matthias must have had a brother named Clement, as their is a baptism for a younger Matthias at Withyham 17 Oct 1620, son of Clement. So I will *temporarily* presume, this connection, that he was named for his uncle.
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 15:20:02 UTC
Matthias must have had a brother named Clement, as their is a baptism for a younger Matthias at Withyham 17 Oct 1620, son of Clement. So I will *temporarily* presume, this connection, that he was named for his uncle.
Grace Boyes was bap Sep 1617 Hawkhurst, co Kent (Batch I00896-6 wj)
father William

There was a William Boyse who d 1631 aged 70, son and heir of a Samuel Boyse of Hawkhurst
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 15:33:07 UTC
An even further aside.
I find a Philadelphia Boys bap 22 Sep 1713 Hawkhurst, co Kent (Batch I01572-8 wj)
with parents Sam and Jane [ed - Newdigate]

So I now identify this Samuel Boys who married Jane Newdigate daughter of
Richard /Newdigate/ of Arbury, co Warw and of Harefield, co Mdx; 2nd Bnt
by
Mary /Bagot/ (1646-1692)

as the son of Samuel Boys of Hawkhurst by Philadelphia Parker
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 15:48:32 UTC
Jane Newdigate, is a direct descendant of Richard Cecil (Jane - Mary - Edward - Hervey - Elizabeth CAVE - Margaret CECIL - Richard) and she is E3#13 (13 generations from Edward III)

Her husband Samuel, by this connection now presented, is E3#11

These people are not in genealogics
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 16:01:02 UTC
Getting back to Grace Boyes who married Richard Caldecote
It's pretty clear that she must be of this same family as that Samuel Boys who m Mary Cromer and had a William Boys who m Cordelia Wildegos

My only sticky issue is that Samuel Boys of Hawkhurst was bap 5 Apr 1618 Hawkhurst
and Grace we know was bap Sep 1617

It seems too close
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 16:06:50 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Getting back to Grace Boyes who married Richard Caldecote
It's pretty clear that she must be of this same family as that Samuel Boys who m Mary Cromer and had a William Boys who m Cordelia Wildegos
My only sticky issue is that Samuel Boys of Hawkhurst was bap 5 Apr 1618 Hawkhurst
and Grace we know was bap Sep 1617
It seems too close
Perhaps they waited a bit to baptise Grace
This clears up a lot

https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_History_of_the_Western_Division_of_the/MFoMAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=richard%20boys%20margaret%20bellingham&pg=PA245&printsec=frontcover&bsq=richard%20boys%20margaret%20bellingham
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 16:28:13 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Post by Will Johnson
Getting back to Grace Boyes who married Richard Caldecote
It's pretty clear that she must be of this same family as that Samuel Boys who m Mary Cromer and had a William Boys who m Cordelia Wildegos
My only sticky issue is that Samuel Boys of Hawkhurst was bap 5 Apr 1618 Hawkhurst
and Grace we know was bap Sep 1617
It seems too close
Perhaps they waited a bit to baptise Grace
This clears up a lot
https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_History_of_the_Western_Division_of_the/MFoMAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=richard%20boys%20margaret%20bellingham&pg=PA245&printsec=frontcover&bsq=richard%20boys%20margaret%20bellingham
I was off by a generation
The Samuel Boys of Hawkhurst who m Jane Newdigate, was the grandson (not son) of Philadelphia Parker
So he is E3#12

Meanwhile we have confirmation of my earlier supposition in this source
that that Richard Caldecote who m Grace Boys (bap Sep 1617) was "of Sherrington"

By the way his mother Anne Apsley, who is not in Genealogics, is a #G12, so she really should be.
Through her Elmes line she is #W14 (Wales) but only #E19

Her nearest royal line (#G12) is Elizabeth Elmes - Alice St John - Margaret Waldegrave - Marjory Wentworth - Eliabeth Howard - Henry Howard - Sir John Howard - Robert Howard - John Howard - Joan de Cornwall - Richard de Cornwall - Richard of England elected King of Germany

I count this last Richard as G0 since he was after all elected a King
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 17:12:42 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
I was off by a generation
The Samuel Boys of Hawkhurst who m Jane Newdigate, was the grandson (not son) of Philadelphia Parker
So he is E3#12
Meanwhile we have confirmation of my earlier supposition in this source
that that Richard Caldecote who m Grace Boys (bap Sep 1617) was "of Sherrington"
By the way his mother Anne Apsley, who is not in Genealogics, is a #G12, so she really should be.
Through her Elmes line she is #W14 (Wales) but only #E19
Her nearest royal line (#G12) is Elizabeth Elmes - Alice St John - Margaret Waldegrave - Marjory Wentworth - Eliabeth Howard - Henry Howard - Sir John Howard - Robert Howard - John Howard - Joan de Cornwall - Richard de Cornwall - Richard of England elected King of Germany
I count this last Richard as G0 since he was after all elected a King
It's curious that Henry Howard is not in Genealogics at all.

He is here in PA

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Plantagenet_Ancestry_A_Study_In_Colonial/kjme027UeagC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=henry%20howard%20mary%20hussey&pg=RA1-PA270&printsec=frontcover&bsq=henry%20howard%20mary%20hussey

showing that he was the son of Sir John Howard by Alice Tendring
and that he married Mary Hussey
and that their sole heiress, married
Henry /Wentworth/ of Codham, co Essex; Knt who d 22 Mar 1482/3
Will Johnson
2021-08-28 17:25:14 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Post by Will Johnson
[...]
Actually I'm wrong. Genealogics does have this man.
Where this line is broken in Genealogics is at Alice St John, daughter of John St John and Margaret Waldegrave. She is missing.

https://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00076291&tree=LEO

http://books.google.com/books?id=wLgEAAAAIAAJ&vq=elmes&pg=PA18#v=onepage&q&f=false
Vis Northampton, 1564, "Elmes of Lilford"

http://books.google.com/books?id=yygEAAAAIAAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0#PPA53,M1
Vis Bed 1566, 1582, 1634 "St John"
Leslie Mahler
2021-08-28 19:47:30 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Post by Leslie Mahler
Post by Will Johnson
[...]

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSF7-BSG6-V?i=323&cat=424649

Leslie

John Higgins
2021-08-27 22:25:58 UTC
Not sure whether you're referring to Aspley or Elmes, but there are families of those names who have visitation pedigrees - Apsley in Suffolk, and Elmes in Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire. May or may not be the people you're looking for...
John Higgins
2021-08-28 04:40:29 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/sussex/vol6/pt2/pp34-40
Edward Apsley and Elizabeth Elmes have a post nuptial settlement dated 1 Jul 1590
Is there a pedigree for this family in some visitation?
Not sure whether you're referring to Aspley or Elmes, but there are families of those names who have visitation pedigrees - Apsley in Suffolk, and Elmes in Oxfordshire and Northamptonshire. May or may not be the people you're looking for...
Leslie is right about Apsley being in the Sussex visitation - I read Sussex and wrote Suffolk.