More Loudhams
Rachel Davey
2021-08-04 10:27:30 UTC
Here I go responding to my own query again.
According to Thoroton's /The Antiquities of Nottinghamshire/ (1790-1796,
reprinted 1972), vol. III, pp. 25-30, at least two of my "branches" of the
original post can be connected. Apparently, D1 of the Derby branch is
identical to the son of N1 of the Nottingham branch. According to his
secondary source, Alice, the wife of N1, was a daughter of Sir Robert de
Kirketon "in Holand" (died 1345). One wonders if there is some connection
here with the land in Kirketon in Norfolk/Suffolk inherited by the
Stratton family from Sir William de Loudham (though Kirketon seems to be a
fairly common place name). Thoroton also tacks on a couple of Sir Walter
de Loudhams to the first generations of this family.
-Robert Battle
Hi Robert,

I'm not sure if this is useful information but Roger De Loudham (or Lowdham - as I've seen a couple of times) owned a manor called Gunton Hall in Suffolk from 1316. The Hall passed through the Loudham family until 1451.

I have been searching for some information on the De Loudham family but I am yet to read anything that relates to the Hall in this time period.

Anyway, thank you for the information above.

Rachel Davies
J. Sardina
2021-08-04 16:45:39 UTC
Here I go responding to my own query again.
According to Thoroton's /The Antiquities of Nottinghamshire/ (1790-1796,
reprinted 1972), vol. III, pp. 25-30, at least two of my "branches" of the
original post can be connected. Apparently, D1 of the Derby branch is
identical to the son of N1 of the Nottingham branch. According to his
secondary source, Alice, the wife of N1, was a daughter of Sir Robert de
Kirketon "in Holand" (died 1345). One wonders if there is some connection
here with the land in Kirketon in Norfolk/Suffolk inherited by the
Stratton family from Sir William de Loudham (though Kirketon seems to be a
fairly common place name). Thoroton also tacks on a couple of Sir Walter
de Loudhams to the first generations of this family.
-Robert Battle
Hello,

There seems to be quite a bit of information on the Kirketons, and in particular about sir Robert.
You may find some entries under " de Kirketon of Kirton in Holand, Lincs" and "Kirktons" in this group, but I don't know if they give any details on Loudhams.

J. Sardina