How to Cite This Group
Polly
2020-01-26 23:05:30 UTC
This group is an invaluable resource, but I don't know how to cite properly the information...by author? by name of thread? with date? with entire url for the cited thread? or is the name of the thread and ***@googlegroups.com sufficient? Sorry for the OCDishness, but I'd like to do it as right as I can. Thanks, M. Zashin
P J Evans
2020-01-26 23:20:31 UTC
This site [ https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/ ] has links to several style guides, which should provide you the information you want. (Look in the style guide for "electronic". For example, the APA style is https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/reference_list_electronic_sources.html and the MLA style is https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_formatting_and_style_guide/mla_works_cited_electronic_sources.html )
Peter Howarth
2020-01-27 09:01:01 UTC
Post by P J Evans
This site [ https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/ ] has links to several style guides, which should provide you the information you want. (Look in the style guide for "electronic". For example, the APA style is https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/apa_style/apa_formatting_and_style_guide/reference_list_electronic_sources.html and the MLA style is https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_formatting_and_style_guide/mla_works_cited_electronic_sources.html )
US academic circles seem caught up in a need to specify every comma and capital letter of a citation and for each organisation to have its own individual way of doing things. In the UK we seem to be more relaxed about it. The whole object of a citation is to allow someone else to find the cited source as easily as possible. That is not always straightforward with discussion groups. It used to be possible to use Rootsweb to reference a post. They have given up. Now we are pretty well limited to Google Groups, and we have no guarantee that they will keep going in their present form. And of course Google Groups allow posters to delete their posts at any time. There is therefore little point in trying to provide a URL except in the very short term. And since posts cannot be amended, there is no need to specify the date when the post was accessed. We must therefore provide the following information in order to find a post, using whatever methods will be available in the future.

1. Name of poster. This is important since it will to a large extent determine the weight given to your citation by your readers. However, you will have to decide which version of the poster's name to use, the one on the heading, the one in their signature (if any), or even their real name. You can if you want use two versions, with one of them in brackets.

2. Title of thread or topic. You can put this in single or in double quotes, depending on your local usage. Writers in German and French don't seem to bother with either. You may have to adapt the title if it is changed part way through the thread.

3. soc.genealogy.medieval -- perhaps in italics, with or without [Google Groups] added in brackets.

4. Date of post. This will help to distinguish which post if the poster has posted more than once. There is no point in adding any time, since that is always given in the time zone of the reader, rather than that of the poster.

The use of italics and various punctuation marks are in fact irrelevant when trying to find the citation. So it is up to you to decide on the version you want to use; however, it looks better if you are consistent.

Peter Howarth
Peter Stewart
2020-01-27 09:37:29 UTC
Post by Peter Howarth
Post by P J Evans
[...]
I admit to being an ignoramus about the internet, but can't the URL (if
that's the correct term) for the thread be usefully given?

For instance, for this one it appears to be
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/9MIwOeH8eEk.

Is that likely to be a universal and permanent link, or might it be
localised to Australia and/or become obsolet
Peter Howarth
2020-01-27 10:43:39 UTC
Post by Peter Stewart
Post by Peter Howarth
Post by P J Evans
[...]
localised to Australia and/or become obsolete before long?
Peter Stewart
I agree that it is possible to give the URL in the way you have described. The problem is that I used to do that using the Rootsweb URL. They are now useless. Google have a history of changing their offerings if they don't feel they are getting sufficient returns. As a result I feel unable to rely on any URL for a discussion group and I download and save anything I think might be useful. The International DOI (Digital Object Identifier) Foundation provide more permanent URLs beginning 'doi:', which can be found on some academic websites. But I don't trust Google.

However, I agree that there is no harm in providing one of their URLs, so long as you don't expect it last long term.

Peter Howarth
Peter Stewart
2020-01-27 11:37:04 UTC
Post by Peter Howarth
Post by Peter Stewart
Post by Peter Howarth
Post by P J Evans
[...]
I see - this is the approach I've taken to Google books from the start,
downloading anything available that I might ever want just in case it
disappears. This is tiresome, but it has turned out to be worhtwhile as
some titles in the public domain have been treated as copyright works
again once some publisher has issued a reprint.

I suppose there is weird a kind of honour among opportunists.

The level of hypocrisy in the self-righteous media against Google for
data exploitation and tax avoidance, as against Facebook and Twitter for
not trying to regulate fake political news, astounds me. CNN, that has
built its international business model on fleecing third world audiences
with flagrantly dishonest advertisements, and its domestic US coverage
on giving free air time to high-rating liars in the pretense that this
is "balanced" journalism, is of course the most pious fraud in this way.
Ian Goddard
2020-01-27 12:00:30 UTC
Post by Peter Howarth
I agree that it is possible to give the URL in the way you have described. The problem is that I used to do that using the Rootsweb URL. They are now useless. Google have a history of changing their offerings if they don't feel they are getting sufficient returns. As a result I feel unable to rely on any URL for a discussion group and I download and save anything I think might be useful. The International DOI (Digital Object Identifier) Foundation provide more permanent URLs beginning 'doi:', which can be found on some academic websites. But I don't trust Google.
However, I agree that there is no harm in providing one of their URLs, so long as you don't expect it last long term.
It might be possible to use archive.org. Not surprisingly the Rootsweb
search engines don't work in archive captures but if you have an
original record of the URL you might be able to find it there.

I was never a big user of Rootsweb in general and not a user of the
mailing lists at all. However following browse links I discovered that
for some messages archive.org replies that it doesn't have them and,
incorrectly, says they're still available online but others, such as
this random attempt, are:
https://web.archive.org/web/20140108080734/http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GEN-MEDIEVAL/2009-03/1237042541

It's worth trying your luck. I'd expect archive.org to be more
conscientious about preserving those records that it has then Google Groups.

Ian
Peter Howarth
2020-01-27 12:32:04 UTC
Thanks Ian for reminding me about the Wayback Machine at archive.org. I use their archive of books a lot, again downloading and saving, but I keep forgetting that they also archive websites. As it happens, I have now downloaded and saved all my Rootsweb references, but there will be plenty of other references elsewhere on the web that I will need in the future. So many thanks.

Peter Howarth
John Higgins
2020-01-27 22:12:33 UTC
Post by Ian Goddard
Post by Peter Howarth
[...]
Speaking of Rootsweb, readers might be interested in this note which appears now on the Rootsweb page for Gen-Medieval:

"Beginning March 2nd, 2020 the Mailing Lists functionality on RootsWeb will be discontinued. Users will no longer be able to send outgoing emails or accept incoming emails. Additionally, administration tools will no longer be available to list administrators and mailing lists will be put into an archival state. Administrators may save the emails in their list prior to March 2nd. After that, mailing list archives will remain available and searchable on RootsWeb "

https://lists.rootsweb.com/hyperkitty/list/gen-medieval.

So...the archives at least will remain (for now)....although the search capability since the collapse of a couple of years ago has had pretty limited functionality.
Polly
2020-01-31 19:13:53 UTC
Thank you everyone for the good guidance.