William Sidney (d.1449) of Kingsham, Sussex and Cranley, Surrey
b***@gmail.com
2012-10-26 05:34:05 UTC
Greetings all...

Does anyone have any information on the family and wives of William Sidney who was MP for Sussex in 1429 and 1433 and died in 1449. He was buried at Cranley, Surrey.

I am descended from his daughter Ann who married John Michelgrove (d. 1459) of Michelgrove in Clapham, Sussex. I think Ann Sidney was born mid to late 1430's and she later married an Apsley after her first husband died.

William apparenty had 3 wives or possibly only two according to some sources. His wives seem to be Cecily Michell, Elizabeth (or Isabel) St. John and finally Thomasine Lunsford nee Barrington. I think Elizabeth St. John is my Ann's mother as this seems to fit with the know chronology.

But who is Isabel or Elizabeth St. John? One source has her as a daughter of Lord St. John but I can find no evidence of this in Complete Peerage as the Last Lord St. John at the appropriate time was a Poynings.

Any help will be appreciated.

Brenden (Gold Coast, Qld)
Matt A
2012-10-26 15:13:15 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
This should get you started. MPs are generally easy to trace.

http://www.girders.net/Si/Sidney,%20William,%20%28d.1477%29.doc
http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Sidney/index.html (note that allegedly Sir Henry Sidney married a daughter of Sir Ralph Hussey--there is a possibility of an early royal descent here, though of course St. John, if that maternity is correct, would almost certainly provide a better descent)
http://tinyurl.com/9rg638g (here he is implied to be in male descent from John de Sydenie who held lands in Chiddingford, Surrey-Sussex border, but this does not seem a very thoroughly researched secondary source)

-Matt Ahlgren
Wjhonson
2012-10-26 15:31:27 UTC
What sources are you using for John Mitchelgrove (d 1459) ?

the message
John Higgins
2012-10-26 16:45:38 UTC
John Michelgrove died 24 Aug 1458, not 1459.
b***@gmail.com
2012-10-29 05:04:27 UTC
Post by Wjhonson
What sources are you using for John Mitchelgrove (d 1459) ?
My sources for the death of John Michelgrove come from the notes of another researcher (Michael Smith) sent to me by Paul Mackenzie.

The notes are as follows:

"John Michelgrove, Elizabeth's father, was a young man of only 23 when he died on 21 November 1459[IPM 1Edw4 No.17], only ten months after the death of his father John Michelgrove, esquire the elder. The later died on 27 January 1458/9 [27 Jan 1459 n.s.] and his inquisition post mortem [ IPM 37Hen6 No.9] give the age of his son and heir, John the younger as 22 years and 11 months on 22 April 1459....."

I haven't seen the actual IPM of either man but it would appear this is the best evidence for the deaths of John senior and junior and not the brasses at Clapham that record both men dying in August 1458. Plus John junior's only daughter and heir Elizabeth Michelgrove was born 29 Mar 1460 some 3 months after her father died.
John Higgins
2012-10-26 16:33:49 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
[...]
There is much uncertainty about the origins of the Sidney/Sydney
family, and particularly in regard to this William (d. 1449) and his
son William (d. 1477), both of whom were MPs. in the biography of the
younger William in Wedgwood's History of Parliament 1439-1509 (pp.
768-9), it says "whether his mother or wife were Cecily, Isabel, or
Thomasine - a Mitchell or a St. John or a Barrington - and who was
really the ancestor of the House of Penshurst remains in 15th century
obscurity". A footnote to this account cites three conflicting
pedigrees of the family.

Part of the problem is that during the Tudor era the family
commissioned Robert Cooke, Clarenceux King of Arms, to construct a
pedigree for them. According to a long note in CP 7:553, the
resulting pedigree is clearly a forgery - although when it starts
being accurate (if at all) is unclear. You can see a printed edition
of the forged pedigree in the original series of Misc. Genealogica et
Heraldica, 2:161ff, available for download here:
https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=1219497

As to the daughter who married John Michelgrove, I've seen her
variously named Anne or Mary, and also variously assigned as a
daughter of either the elder or the younger William. I think a
chronological case can probably be made for either William as her
father. BTW the sidney daughter who married an Appsley appears to be
a separate individual from the one who married Michelgrove.

There's probably no single reliable source for this family in this
time period - despite what industrious googlers may find and assume to
be correct. :-)
Wjhonson
2012-10-26 16:49:39 UTC
http://books.google.com/books?id=ciwUAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA62#v=onepage&q&f=false

the message
b***@gmail.com
2012-10-29 05:15:00 UTC
[...]
Thank you so much for this analysis. I was aware of the dubious pedigree by Robert Cooke and I think all the ancestors named before the first William who died in 1449 are probably incorrect. However as you say the hard part is knowing when fact merges into fiction! There seems to be contemporary evidence of the Michel and Barrington marriages but not the St. John marriage. I was aware that William senior who died 1449 had two sons named William by two different wives.

I wonder if anyone has done any real research using primary records like wills, IPM's and deeds etc to try and untangle this family? I am looking forward to reading the bio on William senior who was MP in 1429 and 1433 in the upcoming History of Parliament for the period 1422-1461. I wonder if the authors have turned up any new details on William and his origins etc.
Paul Mackenzie
2021-10-23 23:05:44 UTC
Here are my notes for John Michelgrove III d1459. As to William Sidney of Kingsham, he is a mystery [to me].
The Sidney family was said to hold the manor of Kingsham, and thru the marriage of Mary/Anne Sidney this manor was brought to the family of Michelgrove then Shelley. HOWEVER, this manor had sometime earlier been divested by the Sidney family and had ultimately ended up in the hands of the heirs of John Tavener, to wit Joan Wheghelton alias Whelton, and Margaret Scarddevyle. This Joan Whelton had married the father of John Michelgrove III.
It is said her grandson John Michelgrove had married Anne/Mary Sidney. [See memorial of their daughter Elizabeth Michelgrove aka Shelley].
NOTES
John Michelgrove III 1413- 1459 and Joan ?- after 1459
John Michelgrove III was born around 1413. An inquisition was taken at Chichester in 1438 after the death of his mother Joan Michelgrove formerly the wife of John Michelgrove II. John Michelgrove III was said to be 25 years on the day of the inquisition was taken and was said to be heir to both of them.
In 1441 John Michelgrove, as patron presented two chaplains for the chapel at St. Giles, Wotton. He was evidently a man of standing as he was given a number of commissions in the county. In 1446 he was appointed with others to distribute an allowance of tax to poor towns desolate or greatly overcharged as a result of the civil wars. In 1456 he was commissioned to survey the walls and ditches in the county; and to inquire into the escape of a prisoner from Chichester goal. In 1457 he was granted a licence with William Earl of Arundell and others to form a guild at Horsham; commissioned to enquire touching contracts and conventions in the Bishopic of Chichester concerning the office of Admirality. and to raise 300 odd archers in Sussex. In the commission of 1446, on 16 July in the Fine Rolls he is described as "knight coming to Parliament".
John Michelgrove III died on 27 January 1458/9 [27 Jan 1459 n.s.]. His son and heir was John Michelgrove IV then aged 22 years, who died shortly thereafter. The inquisitions taken on the deaths on both of these two, in 1459 and 1461 show almost identical land holdings. They both refer to holdings at Bradbrigge (Broadbridge) in Bosham, by service of rendering one white chicken whenever the King and his heirs ride by the land.
John Michelgrove III also married a Joan who was still living at the latter's death. The Escheator for Sussex made in 1460 an assignment of dower to Joan the wife said John Michelgrove III of a third part of Wotton for the term of her natural life. The surname of his wife is not certain. Some say her surname was Shoyerwell???[but no sources are given].
Note: There were two couples John and Joan Michelgrove, one John Michelgrove III and Joan who died after 1460; and his parents John Michelgrove II and Joan who died in 1438, which has lead to some spurious genealogies.
Paul
Sunshine Coast, Qld
References

C 139/91/18 Michelgrove, Joan: Kent, Sussex." https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6159659

"#145 - Miscellaneous records. v.4. - Full View." HathiTrust Digital Library https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uva.x001018861&view=1up&seq=145&skin=2021&q1=michelgrove. Accessed 17 Oct. 2021.

"#44 - Calendar of the Fine rolls preserved in the Public ... v.18 1445-1452. - Full View." HathiTrust Digital Library https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=msu.31293024017901&view=1up&seq=44&skin=2021&q1=michelgrove. Accessed 17 Oct. 2021.

"#50 - Calendar of the Fine rolls preserved in the Public ... v.18 1445-1452. - Full View." HathiTrust Digital Library https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=msu.31293024017901&view=1up&seq=50&skin=2021&q1=michelgrove. Accessed 17 Oct. 2021.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no776/aCP40no776fronts/IMG_0854.htm
Citation
AALT website
CP40/776: Hilary Term 1455

"#357 - Calendar of the patent rolls, preserved in the Public ... v.6. - Full View." HathiTrust Digital Library https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31158013042337&view=1up&seq=357&skin=2021&q1=michelgrove. Accessed 17 Oct. 2021.

"#428 - Calendar of the patent rolls, preserved in the Public ... v.6. - Full View." HathiTrust Digital Library https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31158013042337&view=1up&seq=428&skin=2021&q1=michelgrove. Accessed 17 Oct. 2021.

"#254 - Calendar of the Fine rolls preserved in the Public ... v.19 1452-1461.." Full View https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=msu.31293024017919&view=1up&seq=254&skin=2021&q1=michelgrove. Accessed 17 Oct. 2021.

"Catalogue description Michelgrove, John, esq: Sussex, Kent." Discovery https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6160687. Accessed 17 Oct. 2021.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=msu.31293024017919&view=1up&seq=294&skin=2021&q1=michelgrove
Paul Mackenzie
2021-10-23 23:34:06 UTC
Here are my notes on his son

Here are my notes on the son.

JOHN MICHELGROVE IV was born in March 1436, probably in either Sussex or Kent, to John Michelgrove (1413-1459) and Joan. It is said he apparently married Mary/Anne? Sidney about 1450 of Kent, England.

John Michelgrove was a young man of 23 years when he died on 21 November 1459, only ten months after the death of his father John Michelgrove, esquire the elder. The later died on 27 January 1458/9 [27 Jan 1459 n.s.] and his inquisition post mortem gives the age of his son and heir, John the younger as 22 years and 11 months on 22 April 1459. The inquisitions taken on the deaths of these two, in 1459 and 1461 show almost identical land holdings. In Kent these were the manor of Fauconherst with the advowson of the church of Herst, held of the king in chief by service of one quarter of a knights fee: not a very rich property, comprising 40 acres of pasture, 80 acres of marsh and 25 acres of felled woodland and underwood, of total value per annum 46s. 6d. With another 13s. 4d. for the church. In Sussex they held of the King in Chief a messuage, 2 virgates of land and 100 acres of pasture called Wotton by Folkington as part of the manor of Fauconherst in Kent. They also held as tenants-in-chief a toft and 20 acres of land at Bradbrigge (Broadbridge) in Bosham, by service of rendering one white chicken whenever the King and his heirs ride by the land. The latter lands acquired by the Michelgrove family by the marriage of his grandmother Joan Whegeton.

The main difference between the land holdings of the father and son is that the son held only two parts of Fauconherst and Wotton. At the the time of his fathers inquisition in 1458/9 the Escheator for Sussex made an assignment of dower to Joan wife of the late John Michelgrove III of a third part of Wotton for the term of her natural life. John the younger is referred to as son and heir of John Senior in the assignment, but not specifically of Joan the widow.

It is not known where he was born or died, but it is believed he resided at Michelgrove House, Sussex.

MARY/ANNE? SIDNEY, his apparent wife, was born about 1428 of Kent, England, to William Sydney of Kingsham (1390-1449) and Cecily Michell (1390-1447.) She married John Michelgrove about 1450 of Sussex, England. Mary Sidney passed away about 1478, England, age 50 [further sources needed].

However, it should be noted that the Michelgroves had acquired by 1414 a half share of the manor of Kingsham through their grandmother Joan Whegleton, who apparently was a descendant and heir of the Sydneys. The other half was held by her sister Margaret Scardevyle. But by 1428 William Sydney was said to possess a 1/3 share of the manor. John Michelgrove III father of the current John acted as a third party to the conveyance of this Manor to William Sydney and his heir males by Isabel St. John in 1445. Presumably this was a precursor of settling the manor on Mary Sydney and her husband John Michelgrove.

John junior’s SOLE daughter and heir was Elizabeth Michelgrove who was born 28 March 1460 some 3 months after her father died.