ERRINGTON family of ERRINGTON, Northumberland
d***@melbpc.org.au
2012-08-01 07:55:20 UTC
Does anyone have any information on the ERRINGTON family of ERRINGTON,
Northumberland?
I have seen an undocumented pedigree starting with Christopher ERRINGTON and
a daughter of John HORSLEY in the 1400s. It descends through marriages with
several Northumberland gentry families including CRESSWELL, SHAFTO, BLUNT,
TEMPEST and REED to a marriage between Sir John ERRINGTON of ERRINGTON and
Dorothy WIDDRINGTON. This last marriage is documented in a visitation
pedigree. The next generation, Isabel ERRINGTON b 1688 marries a James
CHARLTON b 1685 of Berwick Hill, Ponteland, Northumberland. Is this CHARLTON
family also gentry?
Any details, corrections or additional generations forward or backward are
welcome.
Thanks,
Lloyd King
Dallas, Texas, USA
Lloyd, the Visitation information comes from the family. It should be correct. Douglas Parker
Wjhonson
2012-08-01 15:36:02 UTC
Not so. Most people cannot even tell you the names of their own great-grandparents, and sometimes those people are in recent memory! So imagine a visitation that stretches back 200 years.

It's not a reliable source. Only a jumping-off point to find better sources.

the message
John Higgins
2012-08-01 23:28:06 UTC
[...]
There is a pedigree of the family of Errington of Errington in at
least two published editions of the visitations of Northumberland (the
editions by marshall and by Foster, the first of which is available
online at the Internet Archive). There is also a pedigree of the same
family, covering further forward than the visitation pedigree, in vol.
4 p. 188 of the History of Northumberland, also available at the
Internet Archive. Where the pedigrees in these sources overlap, they
match closely if not exactly.

In addition to Errington of Errington, there were other Errington
families in Northumberland, notably in Ponteland and Denton.
Pedigrees of these last two families are in the visitations and also
in vols. 12 and 13 of the History of Northumberland (which are not
available online AFAIK). The Ponteland and Denton families are
closely connected to one another, but I don't know of a documented
connection between them and the family of Errington of Errington.

The String of marriages you mention above (Horsley, Creswell, et al.)
appear in the pedigrees of Errington of Ponteland and Denton but not
those of Errington of Errington. OTOH the marriage of John Errington
and Dorothy Widdrington does appear in the pedigrees of Errington of
Errington. However, in the History of Northumberland, this John
Errington is noted as having died by 1626. So he clearly cannot have
had a daughter Isabel b. 1688 who married James Charlton b. 1685.

I'd guess that your undocumented pedigree has mashed together segments
of different Errington families (and there are more families than just
the three mentioned - see the visitation pedigrees and especially the
noted volumes of the History of Northumberland).
T***@icloud.com
2019-03-17 07:16:21 UTC
My grandmother was an errington and I have traced our family line a long way back. Recently came across old pics of the errington family.
Vance Mead
2019-03-21 16:07:19 UTC
I happened to come on this entry in Common Pleas, Trinity Term 1573, with William Errington, of Gosforth, (near Newcastle), yeoman.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT5/Eliz/CP40no1316/bCP40no1316dorses/IMG_0296.htm

Northumb. Lysley, Lancelot versus Lysley, Robert, of Felton, gent; Lysley, John, of Felton, yeoman; Lysley, John, yeoman; Errington, William, of Gosforth, yeoman; Steell, Christopher, of Gosforth, yeoman; Mall, Robert, of Gosforth, yeoman; Myller, John, of Gosforth, yeoman; Meill, Robert, of Gosforth, yeoman.
Trespass: close and taking goods worth 10 pounds.