Genealogics Addition: Descent From Edward IV for Anne Bulkeley, Duchess of Berwick
Brad Verity
2013-02-02 16:53:29 UTC
Working at the moment on the ancestry of Hon. Anne Hill, second wife
of the first Earl of Moira. One of her ancestors (also an ancestor of
Prince Charles) is Sir Roger Mostyn, 1st Baronet of Mostyn (c.
1624-1690). Leo has his second wife, Hon. Mary Bulkeley (d. 1662) in
his database, with no parents, here:
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00048224&tree=LEO

Mary was the daughter of the 1st Viscount Bulkeley of Cashel and his
wife Blanche Coytmor, who are also in Leo's database, here:
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00463106&tree=LEO

Coytmor is a Welsh surname with a variety of spellings: Coytmore
(HOP), Coetmor (Welsh Genealogy database), and Coytmor (ODNB). It
derives from a manor in Caernarvonshire which appears to be spelled
today Coetmore Hall:
http://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/86347/details/COETMORE+HALL,+GARDEN,+BETHESDA/

I've gone with the ODNB spelling. One of the prominent descendants of
the 1st Viscount Bulkeley was his granddaughter Anne Bulkeley, the
second wife of James Fitzjames, 1st Duke of Berwick (illegitimate son
of James II & Arabella Churchill). Leo has Anne in his database, here:
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00018031&tree=LEO

As Edward IV descents that don't go thru his daughter Elizabeth of
York, Henry VII's queen, are relatively rare, I figure I'd post the
duchess of Berwick's. Here it is, with links to the most recent
individuals in Leo's database. As he only needs to link Generation #6
below to Generation #5, it'll be a quick fix.

Edward IV = Margaret Fitzlewis, Dame Lucy (1440-1466, descended from
Edward I), and had
1) Margaret [Plantagenet], illegit. (b. c.1462) m. Sir Thomas Lumley
(c.1462-c.1505, descended from Edward III), and had
2) Richard, 4th Lord Lumley (by1478-1510) m. Anne Conyers (1469-1530,
descended from Edward III), and had
3) John Lumley, 5th Lord Lumley (by1492-1545) m. Joan Scrope
(descended from Edward III), and had
4) George Lumley of Thwing (d. 1537) m. Jane Knightley, and had
5) Barbara Lumley m. 1) Humphrey Llwyd of Foxhall (c.1527-1568), and
had
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00346144&tree=LEO
6) Lumley Llwyd m. Robert Coytmor of Coetmore Hall, and had
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00463111&tree=LEO
7) Blanche Coytmor m. Thomas Bulkeley, 1st Viscount Bulkeley of Cashel
(1585-1659, descended from Edward III), and had
8) Hon. Henry Bulkeley of Westminster (c.1641-1698) m. Sophia Stewart
(d. aft.1718, descended from Edward I*), and had
9) Anne Bulkeley (c.1675-1751), second wife of James Fitzjames, 1st
Duke of Berwick

*Leo doesn't have a mother for Sophia Stewart in his database. She was
Sophia Carew (c.1611-1702), the youngest child of Sir George Carew of
Westminster & Thomasine Godolphin. Walter Stewart was her second
husband. Leo actually has her in his database with her first husband,
Richard Neville of Newton St Loe (d. 1643), here:
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00268383&tree=LEO

Cheers, ----Brad
h***@yahoo.com
2013-02-02 18:23:51 UTC
Post by Brad Verity
[...]
William Addams Reitwiesner compiled some information on the Coytmore family which is posted here: www.wargs.com/essays/welsh/coytmore.html

Cordially,
Marc
Brad Verity
2013-02-02 19:29:06 UTC
Many thanks for the link to WAR's research, Marc. I see he had no better luck than I did finding dates for the Coytmores.

I had traced Robert Coytmore back to Edward III last night using the Welsh Medieval database but forgot to note it in the descent post this morning.

I'm going to track down the Neville Chamberlain article in The Genealogists Magazine and the TAG article on the Edward III - both mentioned by WAR as sources. They sound interesting.

Thanks & Cheers, ----Brad
h***@yahoo.com
2013-02-02 21:49:04 UTC
Post by Brad Verity
Many thanks for the link to WAR's research, Marc. I see he had no better luck than I did finding dates for the Coytmores.
I had traced Robert Coytmore back to Edward III last night using the Welsh Medieval database but forgot to note it in the descent post this morning.
I'm going to track down the Neville Chamberlain article in The Genealogists Magazine and the TAG article on the Edward III - both mentioned by WAR as sources. They sound interesting.
Thanks & Cheers, ----Brad
Brad,
Edward J. Davies is to British Prime Ministers as Gary Boyd Roberts is to American Presidents;

www.edwardjdavies.info/PMs.htm

Leo also has Neville Chamberlain's ancestry in his database.

Mr. Davies has also had research published on relatively recent ancestry of the Queen and the late Princess of Wales, although as of now only a few of his journal articles are available on-line;

www.edwardjdavies.info/publications.htm

I hope you got the e-mail I sent within the last couple of weeks on the Horton/Buswell descendants.

Best Wishes,
Marc
Renia
What date do you want for TGM? I may have it unless it's prior to 1984.
John Higgins
2013-02-02 23:20:32 UTC
Post by Renia
Many thanks for the link to WAR's research, Marc.  I see he had no
better luck than I did finding dates for the Coytmores.
I had traced Robert Coytmore back to Edward III last night using the
Welsh Medieval database but forgot to note it in the descent post
this morning.
I'm going to track down the Neville Chamberlain article in The
Genealogists Magazine and the TAG article on the Edward III - both
mentioned by WAR as sources.  They sound interesting.
What date do you want for TGM? I may have it unless it's prior to 1984.
The Neville Chamberlain article (by G. Andrews Moriarty) was published
in 1938 - two pages long. I sent a copy to Brad via email.
Renia
OK, cheers. Too early for my own library!
Brad Verity
2013-02-03 22:58:52 UTC
The Neville Chamberlain article (by G. Andrews Moriarty) was published
in 1938 - two pages long.  I sent a copy to Brad via email.
Many thanks, John, for the Neville Chamberlain article! I'll track
down the other article, 'A Royal Descent from King Edward III of
England' by John Insley Coddington in The American Genealogist Volume
32 (1956), the next time I'm at a library in the States.

Cheers, ----Brad
Brad Verity
2013-02-04 17:33:43 UTC
Many thanks, John, for the Neville Chamberlain article!  I'll track
down the other article, 'A Royal Descent from King Edward III of
England' by John Insley Coddington in The American Genealogist Volume
32 (1956), the next time I'm at a library in the States.
And many thanks to Hal Bradley, who emailed me the Coddington article
from TAG. That, and the RIII skeleton news - what a great morning so
far!

Cheers, ----Brad

Wjhonson
2013-02-02 20:08:18 UTC
Sophia Carew was born about 1611 and had a daughter Anne who was born about 1675 ?

I think no.

the message
Wjhonson
2013-02-02 20:21:35 UTC
Ok I see you are making this one the granddaughter of the other one
I misread that

Sophia Carew was born about 1611 and had a daughter Anne who was born about 1675
?

I think no.