Royal descent for President John Adams
2009-01-22 04:04:35 UTC
I have been slashing and burning the royal ascents purported for John
Adams (1735-1826), second US President.

There are several odd errors creeping into OneWorldTree, linking his
ancestry to various families from whom he doesn't descend (or at least
there is no evidence that he does).

Does anyone have a purported line taking John Adams ancestry back at
least into some Visitation or something similar?

Will Johnson
j***@gmail.com
2009-01-22 04:24:12 UTC
I have been slashing and burning the royal ascents purported for John
Adams (1735-1826), second US President.
There are several odd errors creeping into OneWorldTree, linking his
ancestry to various families from whom he doesn't descend (or at least
there is no evidence that he does).
Does anyone have a purported line taking John Adams ancestry back at
least into some Visitation or something similar?
Will Johnson
No, there is none*. The line goes back to Henry Adams and that's all
she wrote.

Joe C
* When I say "there is none" I don't just mean that it hasn't been
discovered yet; but that Henry Adams was parentless
wjhonson
2009-01-22 04:28:36 UTC
No, there is none*.  The line goes back to Henry Adams and that's all
she wrote.
Joe C
* When I say "there is none" I don't just mean that it hasn't been
discovered yet; but that Henry Adams was parentless
Joe I'm not referring to a royal Adams line.
Any royal line for any of John Adams ancestors in any line.

Baxter, Paddy, Bass, Alden, Boylston, White, Cogswell...

Any of them.

Will Johnson
j***@gmail.com
2009-01-22 04:41:55 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
* When I say "there is none" I don't just mean that it hasn't been
discovered yet; but that Henry Adams was parentless
Joe I'm not referring to a royal Adams line.
Any royal line for any of John Adams ancestors in any line.
Baxter, Paddy, Bass, Alden, Boylston, White, Cogswell...
Any of them.
Will Johnson
Unfortunately, equally vacant. People have been searching for one for
200+ years without luck. John Quincy on the other hand...
Don Stone
2021-04-04 02:52:22 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
* When I say "there is none" I don't just mean that it hasn't been
discovered yet; but that Henry Adams was parentless
Joe I'm not referring to a royal Adams line.
Any royal line for any of John Adams ancestors in any line.
Baxter, Paddy, Bass, Alden, Boylston, White, Cogswell...
Any of them.
Will Johnson
Unfortunately, equally vacant. People have been searching for one for
200+ years without luck. John Quincy on the other hand...
I don't know of a royal descent for the Boylstons, the family of
John Adams's mother, but their English ancestry can be traced back
to around the time of the Norman Conquest via the Pipe family.

The Massachusetts immigrant Thomas Boylston is often assigned
incorrect parents. Edward and Anne (Bastian) Boylston were not the
parents of the Massachusetts immigrant; they were his aunt and
uncle. (They did have a son Thomas, but he stayed in England.)
The Massachusetts immigrant Thomas was the son of
Thomas Boylston, a London citizen and clothworker (brother of
Edward), as shown, for example, by the September 1639 purchase
by this Thomas, Sr., of a house and land in Massachusetts which
the immigrant Thomas, Jr., owned in 1642. This Massachusetts
house and land probably constituted the immigrant Thomas’s
share of his father’s estate and could explain why the immigrant
Thomas is not mentioned in his father’s will. For additional details
see my 1968 book The Lanman Family: the Descendants of
Samuel Landman of Boston, Massachusetts, 1687, with Data on
the Boylston Family in England and America (this book can be
viewed via FamilySearch at
https://www.familysearch.org/library/books/records/item/164316-redirection).
Specifically, see Chapter 3, Boylstons in England and America.
– Don Stone
Don Stone
2021-04-04 22:25:50 UTC
Post by Don Stone
[...]
Ignore my previous post, made from memory and without looking at my Boylston file folders. Edward and Anne (Bastian) Boylston are the correct parents of the Massachusetts immigrant Thomas Boylston, and my Lanman book's treatment of the Boylstons is out of date.

In any case, the Massachusetts immigrant is a great-grandson of Joane (Pipe) Boylston, whose Pipe ancestry, as I said, can be traced back to around the time of the Norman Conquest.

-- Don Stone