William de Lindsay
Add Reply
l***@gmail.com
2020-06-26 13:39:43 UTC
Hello. I am researching my Lindsay Genealogy. I have found where a daughter of a Sveinn son of Thor of Tranent is said to have married a William de Lindsey,Justiciar of Lothian and ancestor of the Lindsay earls of Crawford. Source Barrow,Acts of William I p.64 n.99. My question is who was this William? There is a William de Lindsay Lord of Crawford married to an Alianore de Limesay father of a Walter died in 122 which is my line.

Regards:
Loren
Peter Stewart
2020-06-27 00:30:28 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Hello. I am researching my Lindsay Genealogy. I have found where a daughter of a Sveinn son of Thor of Tranent is said to have married a William de Lindsey,Justiciar of Lothian and ancestor of the Lindsay earls of Crawford. Source Barrow,Acts of William I p.64 n.99. My question is who was this William? There is a William de Lindsay Lord of Crawford married to an Alianore de Limesay father of a Walter died in 122 which is my line.
The work cited does not say that William de Lindsay married a daughter
of Swain - the entire note 99 says:

"RRS, i, 46. I would now identify 'Durandus' the sheriff with Thorald,
taking the name as a latinized French equivalent. Confirmation of this
is to be found in St Andrews Liber, 180, where William of Lindsay
(tenant and heir at Crawford of Swain son of Thor son of Swain) speaks
of his antecessor Durandus at Binny in W. Lothian (c.1180). William of
Lindsay gave land at Binny to Cambuskenneth Abbey, of which William son
of Thor was a notable benefactor (Cambuskenneth Registrum, pp. 44, 111).
William son of Thor's son Alexander was lord of Ochiltree, close to
Binny (St Andrews Liber, 321)."

Crawford was inherited by this William's son David and later by the
descendants of his younger son William: the mother of both, according to
Scots Peerage vol. III p. 3, was Alienora de Limesi (see below).

If this is correct, Thor/Durandus the 'antecessor' was presumably not
the paternal grandfather of either of William's wives. The first is
unknown. Her son Walter was lord of Lamberton, and his descendants are
traced on pp. 3-6 down to Christian who died in 1335.

The entry in Scots Peerage on the William you asked about is as follows
(vol. III, pp. 2-3):

"William de Lindsay, gave the lands of Fauope to the Abbey of Melrose
before 1179, among the witnesses to his charter being Swan, the son of
Thor, and Arosinus de Lindsay. Both Earlston, where he gave other lands
before 1170, and Crawford, which he possessed at the close of the
century, were first held under Swan, the son of Thor, a south-country
magnate whose family acquired lands in Perthshire, and took the name of
Ruthven. William de Lindsay was one of the hostages for King William in
1174, described by Wyntoun as 'the greatest that of our land were seen.'
His marriage to a great English heiress can be approximately fixed at
that date, for their son and heir was a Justiciar in 1208, and his son a
minor in 1214. In 1180 William sat in Parliament as Baron of Luffenac
(Luffness), and he witnessed many royal charters down to near 1200.
After 1187, if not before, he is found acting as Justiciar. He confirmed
to the Church of Binning a donation of Durandus his 'antecessor' (which
Durandus was Sheriff contemporary with the first Lindsay), and granted
lands at Binning to Cambuskenneth, and in Crawford to Newbattle, to
which last abbey a succession of grants was made by his issue. In 1188
he was certified by the Sheriff of Northumberland as having right in
lands which had belonged to Randolph de Lindsay, who had obtained a
great estate by marriage with Etheldreda, a granddaughter of Cospatrick,
first Earl of Dunbar, which Randolph was a benefactor of the Priory of
St. Bees. William probably married two wives, by the first of whom he had:
1. Walter ... who succeeded to his English manors.
By his marriage with Alienora, daughter and eldest coheir of Gerard de
Limesi (great-grandson of Randolph de Limesi, tenant in chief of forty
lordships in 1086, and founder of the Priory of Hertford) by Amicia de
Bidun, he had:
2. David, described as his heir in Crawford, and presumably
3. William, whose issue succeeded to Crawford, and who was the ancestor
of the Earls ...
The Justiciar died about 1200."

Peter Stewart
l***@gmail.com
2020-06-28 04:08:33 UTC
Loren
l***@gmail.com
2020-06-28 04:09:04 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Hello. I am researching my Lindsay Genealogy. I have found where a daughter of a Sveinn son of Thor of Tranent is said to have married a William de Lindsey,Justiciar of Lothian and ancestor of the Lindsay earls of Crawford. Source Barrow,Acts of William I p.64 n.99. My question is who was this William? There is a William de Lindsay Lord of Crawford married to an Alianore de Limesay father of a Walter died in 122 which is my line.
Loren
Thanks Peter for the informatiom!