Cauz Question
Add Reply
John Watson
2009-11-20 10:33:52 UTC
Hi all,

I am wondering if someone here could help me with a small puzzle.

Walter fitz Gilbert, baron by tenure of Bolam, Northumberland died
about 1206. King John gave his two daughters, Aline and Alice in
marriage to two brothers, John and James de Cauz (Caux/Calce/Calz/
Calceto, etc) [1].

Hodgson in his History of Northumberland [2] says that in the time of
Henry III, James de Cauz answered to lord John de Grey for one fifth
of a knight's fee in the barony of Wahul. This suggests that the two
Cauz brothers were related to Emma de Cauz, daughter of Roger de Cauz
and wife of John de Grey of Shirland, younger son of Henry de Grey of
Greys Thurrock.

Does anyone know of any evidence linking the two Cauz brothers to
Roger de Cauz of Water Eaton, Buckinghamshire and what was their
relationship?

Regards,

John

1212, Johannes et Jacobus de Calce tenent in capite de domino rege
baroniam de Bolum cum filiabus Walteri filii Gilleberti de dono domini
Regis Johannis per servicium iij. militum. Et omnes antecessores
predictarum dominarum tenuerunt per idem servicium post conquestum
Anglic ; et de tenemento illo nihil datura est vel alienatum per
marritagium vel elemosinam vel aliquo alio modo unde dominus rex minus
habeat de servicio suo

2. John Hodgson, A History of Northumberland, Vol. 1, Part 2 (1827) p.
333
http://books.google.com/books?id=k55nAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA333
Andrew Lancaster
2019-09-17 16:24:13 UTC
Post by John Watson
[...]
1. Testa de Nevill, Part 1 (HMSO: 1920) p. 202
I am wondering if anyone ever discovered anything about this Cauz family?
CE Wood
2019-09-24 01:06:56 UTC
A snippet view of _English Episcopal Acta: Winchester 1205-1238_, by Smith, David Vincent and Vincent, Nicholas, 1994, states on page 192:

"Brother of James de Caux, whose relation to the family of Water Eaton is not seriously in doubt (RLP 11 8b; Dunstable Cartulary 297). Active in des Roches' service from at least 1208, witnessing the bp's charters, found in 1 208-9 at Farnham ..."

I do not know the references the authors cite for their lack of doubt about the connection: RLP 11 8b; Dunstable Cartulary 297.

CE Wood