Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York's Floyer/Martin ascent
2008-05-29 05:36:13 UTC
In my continuing series on the extra medieval ancestry of Sarah
Ferguson, we see on Leo's excellent website here
http://www.genealogics.org/getperson.php?personID=I00233182&tree=LEO

we see William Floyer (or Flower) who married Sarah Burwell

This pair occupies Sarah's tree at positions 430 and 431

Leo here shows that William Floyer ascends to William Floyer and his
wife Margaret Lawrence, but William Floyer has further ascent.

The William who married Margaret Lawrence was the grandson of that
Anthony Floyer who married Anne Martin "fourth daughter and co-heiress
of her father" Nicholas Martin, esq of Athelhampstone, co Dorset by
his wife Margaret Wadham.

Margaret Wadham in turn was "one of the three sisters and co-heiresses
of Nicholas Wadham, founder of Wadham College"

Nicholas Wadham, born in 1532, died 20 Oct 1609 d.s.p. although
married to Dorothy Petre in 1555, dau of Sir William Petre by Gertrude
Tyrrell.

Nicholas was the only surviving son of John Wadham d 1577 by his wife
Joan Tregarthan co-heiress of her father John Tregarthan of Cornwall.

John Wadham was the eldest son of Sir Nicholas Wadham (d 1541) of
Merifield by his first wife Joan Hill, daughter of Robert Hill of
Houndston by his wife Alice Stourton of Pendomer.

Alice Stourton is eight steps from the English throne, I'm sure she is
probably in Leo's database.

Will Johnson
wjhonson
2008-05-29 22:33:28 UTC
A more careful reading of the Vis England and Wales now allows me to
fill in a few missing bits.

I had previously stated that William Floyer of Burne, JP Dorset who
married Margaret Lawrence was the grandson of that Anthony Floyer of
Floyer's Hayes, co Devon who married Anne Martin.

The intervening generation can now be fleshed.

Anthony and Anne had a son Anthony Floyer "aged 12" in 1608, bur 2 Nov
1671 at Whitchurch Canonicorum who married Eleanor Pole bap 22 May
1597 at Shute, daughter of Sir William Pole. Eleanor bur 7 Aor 1676
Whitchurch Canonicorum. This Anthony and Eleanor were the parents of
that William Floyer who m Margaret Lawrence above.

But this then adds a whole truckload of new ancestors for Sarah
Ferguson, as it can only be that Sir William Pole "of Shute" must be
that same Sir William Pole elsewhere called of Colcombe, Devon who
married firstly in 1583 to Mary Periam. This Sir William's father is
Sir William Pole (1515-1587) of Shute (by his wife Katherine Popham)

Eleanor Pole is then a Cecil 8 and depending on whether you believe
that Katherine Popham was daughter of Sir John Popham by Amy Games, or
daughter of Alexander Popham by Jane Stradling, Eleanor still gets a
few royal ascents either way.

Will Johnson
wjhonson
2018-11-23 22:29:11 UTC
While working on the line of the Earls of Mar I had chance to run over this Floyer family once more.

Previously I had shown that Anthony Floyer son of William Floyer by his first wife Margaret Lawrence, was bap 31 May 1642

I had now uncovered the second marriage of William Floyer to Elizabeth /Mainwaring/ 19 Aug 1650 St Mary Abbots, London (Batch M001351 wj)

She was the daughter of some Randle Mainwaring but I'm not yet sure which one of that name

By this marriage, William had another son
William /Flower/ of Berne, co Monmouth
who married Amy /Pole/ (NOT Mary Pole)
4 Jul 1677 Whitchurch Canonicorum, co Dorset; first wife

This Amy was bur 21 Apr 1691 Whitchurch Canonicorum, co Dorset

By this marriage William was the father of Charles /Floyer/ , Col 1718
who d 30 Apr 1731 "At his home in Richmond, co Surrey"

Charles married Jane /Turner/ daughter of Nathaniel
and they had

Charles /Floyer/ , Governor of Madras 1747-50
who d 7 Sep 1766 in his house at Richmond; "aged 51"

This Charles married Mary /Berriman/ 22 Aug 1737 Madras (Batch M000570 wj)
and she died 18 Oct 1748 Madras; "aged 29y4m26d" in childbed

By this marriage Charles had a daughter Frances /Floyer/
who 17 Mar 1770 at Upway, Dorset
married
John Francis Erskine, 23rd Earl of /Mar/
Brad Verity
2018-11-24 08:36:39 UTC
While working on the line of the Earls of Mar I had chance to run over this Floyer family once more.
Previously I had shown that Anthony Floyer son of William Floyer by his first wife Margaret Lawrence, was bap 31 May 1642
I had now uncovered the second marriage of William Floyer to Elizabeth /Mainwaring/ 19 Aug 1650 St Mary Abbots, London (Batch M001351 wj)
She was the daughter of some Randle Mainwaring but I'm not yet sure which one of that name
Col. RANDALL MAINWARING of London, merchant & grocer, b. Whitmore Hall, Staffordshire, bap. 29 Jan. 1588 St Mary & All Saints Church, Whitmore; d. Oct./Nov. 1652, 3rd son of Edward Mainwaring of Whitmore Hall (c.1549-1604, descended from Edward I) & Jane Cradock; m. 30 June 1618 St John Church, Hackney, Middlesex, ELIZABETH HAWES, dau. of Humphrey Hawes of London, and had issue, 4 sons and 4 daus (including Elizabeth, 2nd wife of William Floyer of Berne House).

See Col. Mainwaring's entry in ODNB:
http://www.oxforddnb.com/abstract/10.1093/ref:odnb/9780198614128.001.0001/odnb-9780198614128-e-66649?rskey=PLsH3y&result=1

Also, the 'Mainwaring of Oteley' (p. 420) and 'Cavenagh-Mainwaring of Whitmore and Biddulph' (p. 422) articles in BLG 18th Edn. Vol. 2 (1969).
Post by wjhonson
By this marriage, William had another son
William /Flower/ of Berne, co Monmouth
who married Amy /Pole/ (NOT Mary Pole)
4 Jul 1677 Whitchurch Canonicorum, co Dorset; first wife
This Amy was bur 21 Apr 1691 Whitchurch Canonicorum, co Dorset
See the Floyer pedigree in Visitation of England & Wales Notes Vol. 5 (1903):
https://archive.org/details/visitationengla00unkngoog/page/n39

Your dates above for Amy's marriage & burial are additions to the VEW Notes pedigree.

See also the 'Floyer-Acland of West Stafford' (p. 2) article in BLG 17th Edn. (1952).
Post by wjhonson
By this marriage William was the father of Charles /Floyer/ , Col 1718
who d 30 Apr 1731 "At his home in Richmond, co Surrey"
Charles married Jane /Turner/ daughter of Nathaniel
and they had
Charles /Floyer/ , Governor of Madras 1747-50
who d 7 Sep 1766 in his house at Richmond; "aged 51"
This Charles married Mary /Berriman/ 22 Aug 1737 Madras (Batch M000570 wj)
and she died 18 Oct 1748 Madras; "aged 29y4m26d" in childbed
By this marriage Charles had a daughter Frances /Floyer/
who 17 Mar 1770 at Upway, Dorset
married
John Francis Erskine, 23rd Earl of /Mar/
The Genealogics database has Frances (Floyer), Countess of Mar, with the names only (no dates or ancestry) of her parents, so your line above is an addition to it:
http://www.genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00217214&tree=LEO

Cheers, -----Brad
taf
2018-11-24 14:41:56 UTC
Post by Brad Verity
Post by wjhonson
[...]
For this Mainwaring line, see also:

Visit of Cheshire 1580
https://archive.org/stream/visitationchesh00fellgoog#page/n182/mode/2up

Visit of Staff 1583
https://books.google.com/books?id=ADsRAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA113

Visit Staff 1663/4
https://books.google.com/books?id=gfwcAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA208#v=onepage&q&f=false

Visit London 1633/4/5
https://archive.org/stream/visitationoflond17howa#page/n87/mode/1up

2018-11-28 02:15:11 UTC
[...]
A pedigree of this branch of the Floyer family in Misc. Gen. et Her., 2nd ser., vol. 4 (1892), pp. 129-130 indicates that Lt.-Col Charles Floyer (d. 1731) was a younger brother, not a son, of the younger William Floyer who married Amy Pole. Otherwise the descent above appears to be accurate. See here (including the notes on page 130):
https://books.google.com/books?id=FlpIAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA129#v=onepage&q&f=false
John Higgins
2018-11-29 00:55:20 UTC
[...]
The placement of Lt.-Col. Charles Floyer agrees with the Floyer pedigree in vol. 5 of Visitation of England and Wales, Notes cited earlier in this thread by Brad Verity (see particularly page 27). There the elder William Floyer (not the younger) has a son Charles who is noted as being mentioned in his grandfather Anthony's will of 1 Jan 1670/1 and as executor of his father William's will proved 22 Feb 1680/1. No son Charles is given for the younger William in this pedigree.