Jane Lowe 1633-1701
Add Reply
W***@aol.com
2006-12-16 03:07:58 UTC
I have all 16 of Jane Lowe's great-great-grandparents. I'm only missing the
wife of Vincent Lowe who is in position 16 in her chart. In fact the Lowe
family in general is very sketchy and shady compared to the fact that two of the
8 men were Earls, and another one a Judge.

Jane's grandmother Jane Harpur and Jane Harpur's parents Sir John Harpur and
Isabella Pierrepont are only four steps from Richard Cecil.

Will Johnson
John P. Ravilious
2006-12-16 13:42:59 UTC
Dear Will,

Two questions in reply to your last post:

You stated that you have identified all of Jane Lowe's gg
grandparents. To the best of my knowledge, her maternal grandmother is
unknown. Her grandfather, Henry Cavendish, Esq. of Tutbury, Staffs. is
well known and was married, but he had no issue by his Talbot wife.
Anne Cavendish, one of his daughters and mother of Jane Lowe, was
illegitimate.

Have you in fact identified the mistress of Henry Cavendish who
was mother to Anne? If so, that is a find of interest to many Sewall
and Calvert descendants of Jane Lowe. However, if this is based on
showing Anne as a legitimate daughter of Henry Cavendish and Grace
Talbot, this would be erroneous: the known number of gg grandparents
reverts to the previously known 12.

Cheers,

John
Will Johnson
JohnR
2006-12-17 13:52:26 UTC
Post by John P. Ravilious
Dear Will,
You stated that you have identified all of Jane Lowe's gg
grandparents. To the best of my knowledge, her maternal grandmother is
unknown. Her grandfather, Henry Cavendish, Esq. of Tutbury, Staffs. is
well known and was married, but he had no issue by his Talbot wife.
Anne Cavendish, one of his daughters and mother of Jane Lowe, was
illegitimate.
Have you in fact identified the mistress of Henry Cavendish who
was mother to Anne? If so, that is a find of interest to many Sewall
and Calvert descendants of Jane Lowe. However, if this is based on
showing Anne as a legitimate daughter of Henry Cavendish and Grace
Talbot, this would be erroneous: the known number of gg grandparents
reverts to the previously known 12.
Cheers,
John
Would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction for the
secondary source for this line?

John
g***@gmail.com
2018-12-02 14:33:05 UTC
If anyone has found the mother of Jane Cavendish Lowe
I would love to know it
We have traced her thru Bess if Hardwich up to Edward 1
But the mother we are stumped on
***@comcast.net
We have out trees on ancestry.com
Thank you

T***@aol.com
2006-12-18 02:51:31 UTC
Sunday, 17 December, 2006

Dear John (Rees), et al.,

I'm not sure of which line you spoke in your post, but assume
this was directed to the point concerning the Cavendish ancestry of
Jane Lowe, as to her maternal grandfather Henry Cavendish and his
daughter (Jane's mother) Anne.

There are many secondary sources which discuss at more or less
restrained length the extramarital career of Henry. One of the more
recent publications is 'Bess of Hardwick, by Mary S. Lovell [1]. In
the course of its discussion of the life and family of Elizabeth
(Hardwick) (Barlow) (Cavendish) (St. Lo) Talbot, this work provides
several items of note concerning Henry, from his birth on 17 Dec
1550 (midnight) which was recorded by his father, including record
of his godfathers, Henry Grey (Lord Dorset) and John Dudley (later
Earl of Northumberland, exe. 1553), and his godmother the Lady
Elizabeth (later Queen Elizabeth) [1]. More details follow there,
including reference to his troubled marriage to Grace Talbot, his
mother's displeasure with his infidelities, his acquaintance with
the imprisoned Mary, Queen of Scots and Arabella Stuart (Henry
Cavendish's niece), and his own eventual disinheritance.

The forthcoming Vol. X of the Victoria County History of
Staffordshire [entitled, A History of the County of Staffordshire]
will include a chapter on Tutbury. An extract made from the draft
(online until fairly recently) mentioned among the other holders of
the manor,

'.. Henry [Cavendish], who was several times M.P. for
Derbyshire. In 1583 Henry also secured the rectory: the Crown
had granted it in 1578 to a pair of speculators, and they sold
it to another pair, who in turn sold it to Henry. He conveyed
the estate to his younger brother William, Baron Cavendish
(later earl of Devonshire), in 1608, although he himself was
still living at Tutbury in 1614. Henry still held the rectory
in 1612, but on his death in 1616 it presumably passed to
William, whose grandson William, earl of Devonshire held it
in 1653.
Tutbury '... consisted of 234 a. in Tutbury and 27 a. of
meadow nearby in Derbyshire,..' [2]

Other sources concerning Henry Cavendish and his career include
Douglas Richardson, Plantagenent Ancestry [Baltimore: Genealogical
Publishing Company, 2004], pp. 379-380.

I hope this answers your query. If not, please advise.

Cheers,

John *

NOTES

[1] Mary S. Lovell, Bess of Hardwick: First Lady of Chatsworth,
1527-1608 (London: Little, Brown, 2005).

[2] Philip Riden, Cponsultant Editor, Victoria County History of
Staffordshire [publication will be: Nigel Tringham, ed.
A History of the County of Staffordshire. Planned publication
date, June 2007], Volume X: Tutbury and Needwood Forest. URL:

http://www.englandpast.net/staffs_draft/index.html

* John P. Ravilious
W***@aol.com
2006-12-18 21:29:50 UTC
In a message dated 12/16/06 5:46:48 AM Pacific Standard Time, ***@aol.com
writes:

<< Her grandfather, Henry Cavendish, Esq. of Tutbury, Staffs. is
well known and was married, but he had no issue by his Talbot wife.
Anne Cavendish, one of his daughters and mother of Jane Lowe, was
illegitimate. >>

Thank you for the correction. You are quite right, that that was what I was
showing. What is the source that Anne was illegitimate or that Grace was not
her mother?
Thanks
Will Johnson
Leo van de Pas
2006-12-18 21:51:07 UTC
Dear Will,

Burke's Peerage 1938 page 807 tells erroneously Henry Cavendish _d.s.p._

The Complete Baronetage Volume V page 104 in a footnote :
This William (Cavendish) was descended from Henry Cavendish, of Doveridge,
illegitimate son of Henry Cavendish, of Chatsworth (died s.p.legit 12
October 1616) the elder brother of William Cavendish, 1st Earl of
Devonshire.

Burke's Peerage 1999 page 2957 calls Henry Cavendish as of Tutbury Castle,
born 1549 dspl 12 October 1616 and mentions his illegitimate (I suppose
acknowledged children) Henry, Thomas, Charles, William, Augustin who all
took the Cavendish name, and three daughters. Through other sources I found
these three to be Anne, Audrey and Elizabeth.

Henry Cavendish had the nickname of 'the common bull of Derbyshire and
Staffordshire'. In my system, at the moment, I have 1337 descendants for
him.

Amongst these are Jane Lowe, Nicholas Sewall, as Gateways. Anthony Eden PM
of Great Britain, Sarah Ferguson and a few more interesting people.

Sadly Grace Talbot did have no children but her husband made up for that.
With best wishes
Leo van de Pas
Canberra, Australia