Jacquetta (Ellys) Digby and her sister Jillian (Ellys) Fielding
Johnny Brananas
2021-10-27 15:07:33 UTC
Jacquetta (Ellys), wife of Everard Digby, has numerous descendants, including Americans Simon Lynde of Boston and John Umphreville / Humphreville of New Haven.

Mostly, we are told vaguely she was the daughter of "[Sir ?] John Ellys of Devonshire."

I notice that the 1619 Warwickshire Visitation, under Fielding [one of whom married Jacquetta's apparent sister and coheiress Jillian], shows this John Elys of Devonshire with a wife "Elianor Da. of Sr William Russell of Hertfordsh."

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_visitation_of_the_county_of_Warwick/4_sUAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=piers+elys+digbye+feldinge&pg=PA11&printsec=frontcover

Can anyone elaborate on this family (Ellys/ Russall)? I notice the discussion below seems to find the tombstone heraldry problematic.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Host_bibliographic_record_for_boundwith/-ZNpAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=everard+jacqueta+digbie&pg=PA68&printsec=frontcover

Many sources say Everard Fielding's wife Julis / Jillian was a Russell, seemingly leaving out the Ellis connection altogether.
Will Johnson
2021-10-28 03:42:19 UTC
Well I can say that Julian (Ellis) Fielding outlived her husband Everard, as she is given money etc in his will dated 1515
And here is a document in which the two alleged brothers-in-law are named jointly

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/4c1f06f8-24cd-42e0-a06a-dd4574db9173
taf
2021-10-28 04:04:47 UTC
Well I can say that Julian (Ellis) Fielding outlived her husband Everard, as she
is given money etc in his will dated 1515
Just to be incredibly pedantic, this means she was living at the time he wrote his will, not necessarily that she outlived him.

I had the same thought, but Will apparently didn't know that (per Nichols, Leics, 4:287-288) Sir Everard Feilding's will was dated 19 April 1515 and proved 30 April 1515. So, it's a fair bet that his wife (who is called "Jylys" by Nichols - !!) did in fact survive her husband in this case.
taf
2021-10-28 19:30:42 UTC
Well I can say that Julian (Ellis) Fielding outlived her husband Everard, as she
is given money etc in his will dated 1515
Just to be incredibly pedantic, this means she was living at the time he wrote his
will, not necessarily that she outlived him.
I had the same thought, but Will apparently didn't know that (per Nichols, Leics,
4:287-288) Sir Everard Feilding's will was dated 19 April 1515 and proved 30
April 1515. So, it's a fair bet that his wife (who is called "Jylys" by Nichols - !!)
did in fact survive her husband in this case.
Indeed, likely. I can recall coming across a few instances where the wife suddenly died while the husband was in his final days, but they are by far the exception.

taf
Will Johnson
2021-10-28 21:31:56 UTC
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=pst.000032377101&view=1up&seq=387&skin=2021&size=150&q1=everard

What exactly is he calling the wife here? "Yelling Russell"??
taf
2021-10-29 00:10:02 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=pst.000032377101&view=1up&seq=387&skin=2021&size=150&q1=everard
What exactly is he calling the wife here? "Yelling Russell"??
The poor reproduction makes it unclear, but to me it looks like 'Iellus' was intended.
On second thought, the penultimate letter is the same as in her surname and appears the same as twice in Feyldyng in the panel above, so I am going with 'Iellys Russeyll'.

2021-10-29 18:48:54 UTC
I had the same thought, but Will apparently didn't know that (per Nichols, Leics, 4:287-288)
Sir Everard Feilding's will was dated 19 April 1515 and proved 30 April 1515. So, it's a fair
bet that his wife (who is called "Jylys" by Nichols - !!) did in fact survive her husband in this
case.
Or rather than betting, . . . . From an account of burials in the parish churches of Northamptonshire:

NORTHAMPTON: BLACK FRIARS or DOMINICANS. Our Lady.
To be buried “afore the aulter of our blessed Lady in the Blakefryers”: Sir Everard Fielding, kt. 1515 (P.C.C. 5, Holder). “To be buried in the churche of the Blake frears byfor the ymage of our Lady in the tombe of my husband ” : Dame Gyllys Fielding, 1529 (D. 68).

'D. 68' refers to vol. D, Archdeaconry of Northampton probate registry.

https://books.google.com/books?id=QKM8AAAAIAAJ&pg=PA446