Lowe of Shropshire and Staffordshire
J. Sardina
2021-08-29 17:39:51 UTC
Hello,

I am trying to trace the family of one Humphrey Loe (Lowe?), of unknown origin, possibly from Shropshire or Staffordshire, apparently esq. and possibly living in the first half of the 16th century.

He has been mentioned in a series of posting on the Cuertons since he is shown as the father of one Agnes, wife of George Cuerton, esq. from Ightfield , Shropshire, living in 1558.

His arms are shown as a head, possibly of a wolf, erased, on a background that appears to be grayish or bluish (colors are faded).

Does anybody recognize that family?

I see that the Lowe of Lowe are reported to have somewhat similar arms:
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/worcs/vol3/pp442-449'
"Or a bend cotised sable with three wolves' heads razed or on the bend."

The site mentions Feet of Fines for Worcestershire. 5 Hen. III, no. 22 as well Nash's History of Worcestershire.

J. Sardina
taf
2021-08-29 21:25:12 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
His arms are shown as a head, possibly of a wolf, erased, on a background that appears to be grayish or bluish (colors are faded).
Does anybody recognize that family?
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/worcs/vol3/pp442-449'
"Or a bend cotised sable with three wolves' heads razed or on the bend."
Not very similar at all. Different shield tincture, different number of wolves, different part of wolves (one entire, the other just the head), different color of the wolf/wolves, bend vs no bend. The only thing they have in common is that there is canine involvement, and that is likely just independent canting (Lowe being vaguely similar to the first syllable of 'lupus' = wolf).

Given all the differences, I would take these arms as an indication the families were probably unrelated.

2021-08-30 14:07:27 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
His arms are shown as a head, possibly of a wolf, erased, on a background that appears to be grayish or bluish (colors are faded).
Neither grey nor blue to my eye. It is juxtaposed to the Cuerton arms, where both quarters include elements with blue background clearly different than this background, while the wolf itself is grey (i.e. silver). To me the background looks green, which is atypical and probably more recent. That would make the arms 'vert, a wolf's head erased proper', or 'vert, a wolf's head erased argent, langued gules'.

taf
J. Sardina
2021-08-30 17:03:01 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
His arms are shown as a head, possibly of a wolf, erased, on a background that appears to be grayish or bluish (colors are faded).
Neither grey nor blue to my eye. It is juxtaposed to the Cuerton arms, where both quarters include elements with blue background clearly different than this background, while the wolf itself is grey (i.e. silver). To me the background looks green, which is atypical and probably more recent. That would make the arms 'vert, a wolf's head erased proper', or 'vert, a wolf's head erased argent, langued gules'.
taf
Thanks for checking again.

The background is definitely green. I was able to obtain a somewhat better scan from the seller.
I can see the red tongue clearly also. Some areas seem to be darker than green or gray, but it may be due to reaction of the inks over time.
The outline of the head is quite dark, specially on the back of the head, but I suppose that was done on purpose.

After searching online for Lowe or Loew or Loe families, I haven't found any other lines with this particular design of arms.
If they are canting arms, would they go back to the 14th or15th centuries?

There seem to have been a few Lowe at Shropshire and Staffordshire, possibly not all of them related, and I have not seen information to determine which ones were esquires and which ones yeomen. I am hoping that the ones you found at the archives are of the line in question, but finding arms for that family has not been possible so far. Perhaps they died out in the 16th century.

A couple of them happened to be renting lands from the same priority where Margaret Sandford was prioress since 1510. I am trying to find more entries from the letters of Henry VIII where she appears, and from the corresponding websites to see if more Lowes happen to show up at other locations in the same years (first half of 16th century). For some reason, search by keywords does not always seems to work.

J. Sardina
taf
2021-08-30 19:52:07 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
After searching online for Lowe or Loew or Loe families, I haven't found any other lines with this particular design of arms.
If they are canting arms, would they go back to the 14th or15th centuries?
I found neither a Loe/Low/Lowe using it, nor anyone else (the closest is the arms attributed to Hugh Loup, Earl of Cheshire, but thay had a blue background). Canting arms could be from any period. Green backgrounds were less common in earlier arms, so I would guess later rather than earlier, but that is just a guess.

taf
Will Johnson
2021-08-31 23:35:43 UTC
Post by J. Sardina
Hello,
I am trying to trace the family of one Humphrey Loe (Lowe?), of unknown origin, possibly from Shropshire or Staffordshire, apparently esq. and possibly living in the first half of the 16th century.
He has been mentioned in a series of posting on the Cuertons since he is shown as the father of one Agnes, wife of George Cuerton, esq. from Ightfield , Shropshire, living in 1558.
His arms are shown as a head, possibly of a wolf, erased, on a background that appears to be grayish or bluish (colors are faded).
Does anybody recognize that family?
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/worcs/vol3/pp442-449'
"Or a bend cotised sable with three wolves' heads razed or on the bend."
The site mentions Feet of Fines for Worcestershire. 5 Hen. III, no. 22 as well Nash's History of Worcestershire.
J. Sardina
Perhaps it is the Humphrey /Lowe/ of Lichfield, co Staf and of Halesowen; mercer; Bailiff of Lichfield 1556, 1567, 1573
He was born by 1523 (if not much earlier) and he was living in 1573
I have three children for him

Margery (Lowe) Weston d 1587
m James /Weston/ of St John's Hospital in Lichfield, co Staf d 1589

Michael /Lowe/ of Tamhorn near Lichfield co Staf 1577; Gent 1577; of Tymore, co Staff
bur 4 Aug 1593 Elford
m Margaret Biddulph

Isabel Lowe m Edward /Noble/ of the Close of Lichfield, co Staf
J. Sardina
2021-09-01 00:25:02 UTC
Post by Will Johnson
Post by J. Sardina
[...]
Thanks for the information. I have seen information about at least one, two or possibly three different lines of Lowe apparently from Staffordshire. One of those lines would be for Margaret Bromley. At least some of them seem to have been merchants. However, i have not been able to find arms for all of them, and the ones i have seen do match the ones painted on the 1558 documents whose pictures I have seen.

Last night I was checking an article of a different set of Loe families, originally from Cheshire. Apparently they had in the 14th century consisting of three wolves, but one of the lines in the 14th century seems to have used one single wolf.

THE LOWES OF DENBY AND ALDERWASLEY.
LOWE, A E LAWSON, CAPTAIN. The Relinquary : quarterly archaeological journal and review, July 1863-Oct. 1894; London Vol. 12, (Oct 1871): 113-114.

which can be viewed online at

https://www.proquest.com/openview/70058812edbc9ef4/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=2594

and also

Derbyshire Archaeological Society. Journal of the Derbyshire Archaeological and Natural History Society online.

digitized by google

https://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/derbyshire-archaeological-society/journal-of-the-derbyshire-archaeological-and-natural-history-society-goo/page-50-journal-of-the-derbyshire-archaeological-and-natural-history-society-goo.shtml

Unfortunately, I found no connections to Staffordshire or Shropshire.

J. Sardina