Descents From Edward III For Ramsden Appleyard
Add Reply
Brad Verity
2007-05-08 09:56:17 UTC
Ramsden Appleyard (living 1776) was the son of Captain Francis
Appleyard, Receiver General of the Land Taxes for part of Yorkshire.
Though the family had long been at the East Riding manor of Burstwick
Garth, 8 miles East of Hull, in the wapentake of Holderness, Capt.
Francis resided in Beverley (about 9 miles NNW. of Hull), where he was
a leading citizen. I chose to trace Ramsden Appleyard's 7 descents
from Joan Beaufort as I thought it was an interesting name, and as he
is an addition to Ruvigny's account of the family in his Plantagenet
Roll: Exeter Volume, p. 345. Ramsden's existence is found in two A2A
documents.

DDRI/44/13 Copy will of Ramsden Barnard of Beverley esquire... Ramsden
son of Francis Appleyard, Beverley; William second son of Hugh
Bethell, Rise, esquire; sister Anne Barstow ... Will dated: 16 Jan 1748

DDRI/46/13 Petition in Chancery of William Bethell in Ramsden
Appleyard and William Bethell versus Ann Barnard lunatic deceased and
others Mar 1776

Though Ruvigny could not trace the Appleyards into the 19th century,
Ramsden's existence allows for the possibility that the family did
continue on, and there may be Appleyard descendants of Edward III
living today.

The Appleyards originated in Lincolnshire, and in the early 16th-
century, one John Appleyard moved to the East Riding town of
Heslington, 2 miles SE. of the city of York. Through his mother, he
was related to the Lords Sheffield, but his own children married into
nearby minor gentry families. One grandson, Thomas Appleyard, became
mayor of York, while another grandson, John Appleyard (died 27 April
1597), obtained the manor of Burstwick Garth. When and how this
occurred is not clear (I don't have ready access to VCH Yorkshire East
Riding Vol. 5), but it established him enough to take for his second
wife a woman of the Edward III bloodline. Katherine Norton (buried 28
January 1610), according to John Appleyard himself in the 1584
Visitation pedigree of the family, was "dau. to John Norton, of
Acclom, nephew and heir to Sir Sampson Norton". But the only
Visitation pedigree of the Nortons that assigns any issue to John is
the 1575 Visitation pedigree, in which he is said to have "a sonne and
2 d. all sans issu". As the only nephew John that Sampson Norton had
was this John, the eldest son of his eldest brother Francis, a
possibility is that Katherine was one of these two daughters who were
without issue in 1575. She would have married John Appleyard by
1580. But the chronology is too tight for Bridget Stapleton, the wife
of John Norton, to be the mother of Katherine, for Bridget was only
age 18 in 1569 when the Nortons took part in the disastrous Rising of
the Earls, and John's father and grandfather were attainted and fled
to Flanders.

In order to reconcile the specific statement of John Appleyard in 1584
regarding his wife's parentage, Katherine must have been an
illegitimate daughter of John Norton, who was in all likelihood
several years older than his wife. As the eldest son of the eldest
son of a woman born in 1500, John Norton could have been born as early
as 1540, and so old enough to have fathered a daughter who was herself
a mother in 1580. The 1665 Visitation pedigree of Norton of Sawley
says John died young, but this is incorrect. Though Norton Conyers
remained confiscated from the family due to attainder, the Queen in
1572 granted John a lease of a meadow and water-mill on the Yore,
adjoining Norton Conyers, and he is said to have lived and died in
peace in Yorkshire.

Thomas Appleyard (1580-1660), the son of John Appleyard and Katherine
Norton, had two wives, both descended from Edward III. The first,
Anne Legard, daughter of Christopher Legard of Anlaby, whom he married
in 1598, died the following year. His second wife, whom he married by
1600, was a widow, Elizabeth Turner, daughter of Marmaduke Monkton of
Cavill. Their son Sir Matthew Appleyard (1608-1670) was the most
notable member of the family and has an entry in the new Oxford
Dictionary of National Biography. He appears in Ruvigny's Plantagenet
Roll, and Ramsden Appleyard was the great-grandson of Sir Matthew.

Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland (c.1379-1440) had 1 son (A1)
and 5 daughters (B1, C1, D1, E1 & G1)

A1) George Nevill, 1st Lord Latimer (c.1411-1469), who had
A2) Sir Henry Nevill (d. 1469) m. Joan Bourchier (d. 1470, descended
from Edward III but not thru Joan Beaufort), and had
A3) Richard Nevill, 2nd Lord Latimer (1468-1530) m. 1)1483 Anne
Stafford, and had
A4) Susan Nevill (1501-by 1565) m. Richard Norton of Norton Conyers (c.
1498-1585), and had
A5) Francis Norton of Norton Conyers (liv. 1572), fled to Flanders in
1569 m. Albreda Wimbish, and had
A6) John Norton of Acklam, Yorks. (liv. 1575), who had
A7) Katherine Norton, probably illeg., (d. 1610) m. by 1580 John
Appleyard of Burstwick Garth, Yorks. (d. 1597), and had
A8) Thomas Appleyard of Burstwick Garth (1580-1660) m. 2)1600
Elizabeth Monkton (see B8 below), and had
A9) Sir Matthew Appleyard of Burstwick Garth (1608-1670) m. Frances
Pelham (see C9 below), and had
A10) Matthew Appleyard of Burstwick Garth (1661-169-) m. 1682 Jane
Ramsden (descended from Edward I), and had
A11) Francis Appleyard of Beverley (c.1690-1748) m. Ann Taylor, and
had
A12) Ramsden Appleyard (living 1776)

B1) Elizabeth Ferrers, Lady Greystoke (1393-1434), who had
B2) Anne Greystoke (d. 1477) m. 1433 Sir Ralph Bigod of Settrington
(1410-1461), and had
B3) Elizabeth Bigod (c.1445-15--) m. 1462 Sir John Aske of Aughton,
Yorks. (1443-1497), and had
B4) Sir Robert Aske of Aughton (by 1465-1531) m. c.1482 Elizabeth
Clifford (descended from Edward III but not thru Joan Beaufort), and
had
B5) Anne Aske m. William Monkton of Cavill, Yorks., and had
B6) Christopher Monkton of Cavill m. Frances Hussey, and had
B7) Marmaduke Monkton of Cavill m. Elizabeth Wentworth, and had
B8) Elizabeth Monkton (d. by 1652) m. 3)1600 Thomas Appleyard of
Burstwick Garth (see A8 above)

C1) Cecily Neville, Duchess of York (1415-1495), who had
C2) Anne of York (1439-1476) m. 2) Sir Thomas St. Leger, and had
C3) Anne St. Leger (d. 1526) m. George Manners, Lord Ros, and had
C4) Thomas Manners, 1st Earl of Rutland (by 1492-1543) m. 2) Eleanor
Paston (d. 1551), and had
C5) Lady Anne Manners m. 1536 Henry Nevill, 5th Earl of Westmorland
(see F6 below), and had
C6) Lady Eleanor Nevill m. Sir William Pelham of Brocklesby, Lincs.
(d. 1587), and had
C7) Sir William Pelham of Brocklesby (d. 1629) m. Anne Willoughby (see
D9 below), and had
C8) Sir William Pelham of Brocklesby (d. 1644) m. Frances Conway (d.
1642), and had
C9) Frances Pelham (1617-1683) m. Sir Matthew Appleyard of Burstwick
Garth (see A9 above)

D1) Mary Ferrers, Lady Neville of Oversley (1394-1458), had
D2) John Neville of Oversley (d. 1482), who had
D3) Joan Neville m. Sir William Gascoigne of Gawthorpe (d. 1463), and
had
D4) Sir William Gascoigne of Gawthorpe (c.1450-1487) m. Margaret Percy
(see E3 below), and had
D5) Elizabeth Gascoigne (d. 1559) m. by 1493 George Tailboys, 9th Lord
Kyme (c.1467-1538), and had
D6) Elizabeth Tailboys (d. 1546) m. c.1513 Sir Christopher Willoughby
of Parham, Suffolk (d. 1540), and had
D7) William Willoughby, 1st Baron Willoughby of Parham (c.1515-1570)
m. 1)c.1535 Elizabeth Heneage (c.1518-1556), and had
D8) Charles Willoughby, 2nd Baron Willoughby of Parham (1537-1612) m.
Lady Margaret Clinton, and had
D9) Anne Willoughby m. Sir William Pelham of Brocklesby (see C7 above)

E1) Eleanor Nevill, Countess of Northumberland (d. 1473), who had
E2) Henry Percy, 3rd Earl of Northumberland (1421-1461), who had (with
F3 below)
E3) Margaret Percy m. Sir William Gascoigne of Gawthorpe (see D4
above)

F3) Henry Percy, 4th Earl of Northumberland (1449-1489) m. 1472 Maud
Herbert, and had
F4) Lady Eleanor Percy (c.1475-1530) m. 1490 Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke
of Buckingham (see G4 below), and had
F5) Lady Katherine Stafford (d. 1555) m. by 1520 Ralph Nevill, 4th
Earl of Westmorland (1498-1549, descended from Edward III but not thru
Joan Beaufort), and had
F6) Henry Nevill, 5th Earl of Northumberland (1525-1564) m. 1)1536
Lady Anne Manners (see C5 above)

G1) Anne Nevill, Duchess of Buckingham (c.1406-1480), who had
G2) Humphrey Stafford, Earl of Stafford (c.1425-1455) m. Margaret
Beaufort (by 1430-1474, descended from Edward III but not thru Joan
Beaufort), and had
G3) Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham (1455-1483) m. 1466
Katherine Woodville (c.1458-1497), and had
G4) Edward Stafford, 3rd Duke of Buckingham (1478-1521) m. 1490 Lady
Eleanor Percy (see F4 above)

Cheers, ----------Brad
John Watson
2007-05-09 00:09:06 UTC
Hi Brad,

According to my information - Ramsden Appleyard was buried at St John,
Beverley on 9 May 1764 aged 27.

Regards,

John

Brad Verity
2007-05-09 16:59:16 UTC
On May 8, 5:09 pm, John Watson <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to my information - Ramsden Appleyard was buried at St John,
> Beverley on 9 May 1764 aged 27.

Many thanks, John. The 1776 Chancery case must then have been William
Bethell renewing a previous one. Do you know if any male-line
Appleyards made it into the 19th century?

Cheers, -------Brad
WJhonson
2007-05-09 18:02:51 UTC
You certainly have a number from which to choose.
The parish register of Saint John's Church, Beverley, Yorkshire is extracted here
www.familysearch.org - IGI - British Isles - Batch C106622

Matthew 1721
Anne 1722
Jane 1723
Frances 1724
William 1725
Margaret 1728
Thomas 1730
Ramsden 1736

The next baptism for an Appleyard there is a Samuel son of Samuel in 1767

Will Johnson
Brad Verity
2007-05-09 19:26:59 UTC
On May 9, 11:02 am, WJhonson <***@aol.com> wrote:

> You certainly have a number from which to choose.
> The parish register of Saint John's Church, Beverley, Yorkshire is extracted herewww.familysearch.org- IGI - British Isles - Batch C106622
>
> Matthew 1721
> Anne 1722
> Jane 1723
> Frances 1724
> William 1725
> Margaret 1728
> Thomas 1730
> Ramsden 1736

Thanks, Will. Are all of these children of Francis Appleyard?
Ruvigny only mentioned Matthew, Jane, William and Margaret, but
provides baptism dates, so I wonder what his source was (since he
researched in the early 20th-century, long before the IGI).

Anyways, thanks to you and John Watson, we know have Ramsden
Appleyard's (love that name) baptism and burial dates.

Cheers, -----Brad
WJhonson
2007-05-09 22:11:14 UTC
By the way just to get specific, Ramsden was bap on 13 Mar 1737/8
So it would be more appropriate to say "in his 27th year" instead of "age 27" as today we'd think a person was "27" only once they'd reached their 27th birthday, whereas "in his 27th year" started on your 26th birthday.

By the way Jane names her sons, Matthew, Francis, Thomas, I'd say Matthew is the eldest and in 1714 he is a witness to an Exemplification of a common recovery relating to land in Burstwick

Will Johnson
-----------------------
East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records Service: EAST RIDING DOCUMENTS
EAST RIDING DOCUMENTS
Catalogue Ref. zDDX76
Former Catalogue Ref. DDX76
Deeds for Beverley and other documents

FILE - Exemplification of a common recovery relating to land in Burstwick, Skeckling, Elsternwick, Aldbrough and Hedon - ref. zDDX76/2/1 - date: 10 May 1714
[from Scope and Content] Parties: 1) Francis Boxholme gentleman 2) Christopher Goulton gentleman Property: 2 messuages, 50 acres land, 150 acres meadow, and 150 acres pasture in Burstwick, Skeckling, Elsternwick, Alkbrough [Aldbrough], and Hedon; with tithes of grain and hay in Elsternwick Witnesses: Matthew Appleyard esquire, and John Stanford vouched to warranty (Easter 1714)
WJhonson
2007-05-09 18:16:38 UTC
That Jane Ramsden survived her husband.
Will Johnson
-------------------------

East Riding of Yorkshire Archives and Records Service: EAST RIDING DOCUMENTS

The contents of this catalogue are the copyright of East Riding of Yorkshire=
Archives and Records Service
Rights in the Access to Archives database are the property of the Crown,=20=
=A9 2001-2006

To find out more about the archives described below, contact East Riding of=20=
Yorkshire Archives and Records Service

EAST RIDING DOCUMENTS
Catalogue Ref. zDDX76
Former Catalogue Ref. DDX76

Deeds for Beverley and other documents

FILE - Settlement relating to land in York - ref. zDDX76/2/4 - date: 11=
Jun 1700
[from Scope and Content] Parties: 1) Jane Appleyard widow of Matthew A=
ppleyard of Burstickgarth esquire 2) Charles Pelham of Brocklesby of Lincoln=
shire, esquire Property: in County of York settled on her by Matthew Appleya=
rd; Jane Appleyard to have estate of =A3100 clear yearly value for her life;=
the residue to the use of her sons by Matthew Appleyard, successively in ta=
il male (mentions her sons Matthew, Francis and Thomas Appleyard) Witnesses:=
Elizabeth Pelham, John Stringer and Richard Butler
g***@gmail.com
2018-11-05 13:56:58 UTC