SGB (OFF TOPIC)
Add Reply
c***@dickinson.uk.net
2018-10-29 18:28:41 UTC
Apologies for posting this, but it seems the easiest way to get information.

I see that SGB has been closed down on Google Groups (and about time too) because of the spam. Is its content still available on other newsreaders?

Thanks,
Chris
Richard Smith
2018-10-31 09:56:59 UTC
Post by c***@dickinson.uk.net
Apologies for posting this, but it seems the easiest way to get information.
I see that SGB has been closed down on Google Groups (and about time too) because of the spam. > Is its content still available on other newsreaders?
I'm still getting it via Individual.net, though there have been no posts
since the 27th which could indicate a problem.

Since all the spam on s.g.b was sent via Google Groups, but only a
minority (albeit a significant minority) of the legitimate posts came
via Google Groups, with any luck the group will settle down now to be
more usable again.

Richard
c***@dickinson.uk.net
2018-10-31 10:05:04 UTC
Post by Richard Smith
Post by c***@dickinson.uk.net
Apologies for posting this, but it seems the easiest way to get information.
I see that SGB has been closed down on Google Groups (and about time too) because of the spam. > Is its content still available on other newsreaders?
I'm still getting it via Individual.net, though there have been no posts
since the 27th which could indicate a problem.
Since all the spam on s.g.b was sent via Google Groups, but only a
minority (albeit a significant minority) of the legitimate posts came
via Google Groups, with any luck the group will settle down now to be
more usable again.
Richard
Thank you.

My main concern is whether the archives are accessible (no longer on Google Groups), so maybe that is a hopeful sign.

Chris
Ian Goddard
2018-10-31 10:58:42 UTC
Post by c***@dickinson.uk.net
Apologies for posting this, but it seems the easiest way to get information.
I see that SGB has been closed down on Google Groups (and about time too) because of the spam. Is its content still available on other newsreaders?
Thanks,
Chris
I'll post this as a test message to both groups

Ian
Ian Goddard
2018-10-31 11:01:15 UTC
Post by Ian Goddard
Post by c***@dickinson.uk.net
Apologies for posting this, but it seems the easiest way to get information.
I see that SGB has been closed down on Google Groups (and about time
too) because of the spam. Is its content still available on other
newsreaders?
Thanks,
Chris
I'll post this as a test message to both groups
Ian
OK, that seems to be working. I can see the post on both groups almost
immediately. This is via my ISP's news server which I think is probably
giganews being resold - ISP news servers often are.

Ian
c***@dickinson.uk.net
2018-10-31 13:38:57 UTC
Post by Ian Goddard
Post by Ian Goddard
Post by c***@dickinson.uk.net
Apologies for posting this, but it seems the easiest way to get information.
I see that SGB has been closed down on Google Groups (and about time
too) because of the spam. Is its content still available on other
newsreaders?
Thanks,
Chris
I'll post this as a test message to both groups
Ian
OK, that seems to be working. I can see the post on both groups almost
immediately. This is via my ISP's news server which I think is probably
giganews being resold - ISP news servers often are.
Ian
Thanks, Ian. Nothing new has appeared on the Google Groups version of SGB, so the shutdown does appear to be purely localised to that platform.

Now I need to find myself a newsreader, and to check whether GENBRIT is sending out messages yet (in which case, I will switch back to that entirely).

Chris
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-10-31 17:04:48 UTC
Post by Ian Goddard
Post by Ian Goddard
Post by c***@dickinson.uk.net
Apologies for posting this, but it seems the easiest way to get information.
I see that SGB has been closed down on Google Groups (and about time
too) because of the spam. Is its content still available on other
newsreaders?
Still here on eternal-september - where, incidentally, I see virtually
no spam (and I don't have kill rules other than for one or two posters).
I presume Google Groups doesn't have as good filters as e-s. (One of my
killrules is for a poster who persists in responding to the "girl" type
spams; I don't see them, but I did see his followups.)

"Bother," said Pooh, as he tasted the bacon in his sandwich.
c***@dickinson.uk.net
2018-10-31 17:11:26 UTC
Post by Ian Goddard
--
"Bother," said Pooh, as he tasted the bacon in his sandwich.
Yes, the Google Groups filter system isn't much good (in my opinion).

Chris