Was Katherine (Dale) Carter the child of Diana (Skipwith) Dale, wife of Maj. Edward Dale, d. 1695, of Lancaster Co., VA?
j***@hotmail.com
2005-09-28 23:36:26 UTC
WAS KATHERINE (DALE) CARTER, WIFE OF CAPT. THOMAS CARTER OF LANCASTER
CO., VA, A DAUGHTER OF DIANA SKIPWITH, WIFE OF MAJ. EDWARD DALE?

This seems to be a perennial problem in my family. In my opinion she
was not, and I will present three reasons why:

a. The evidence cited by Charles Martin Ward, in his 2000 article in
"TAG:" that Katherine (Dale) Carter was born in 1652, prior to her
alleged mother's witnessing two deeds in the fall of 1655 using her
maiden name "Diana Skipwith." I have seen women in the medieval
period use their maiden names or titles, but they reverted to them
after their husbands had died. Those women were the daughters of
peers, while la Skipwith was of the knightly class and of a later
period. I wish that Ward had assembled all the data, pro and con, and
dealt with it, but he didn't, and so here we are.

b. In Maj. Edward Dale's will made 24 August 1694, he refers to his
wife as "my now wife." He does not name Diana Dale, but since we
know that she died on 31 July 1695 (per the Thomas Carter prayer book,
and some five months after Edward Dale), and had been married to Dale
for a long time as he states in his will, there is no doubt to whom
he's referring. I know that Eugene Stratton in "Applied
Genealogy" says that he doesn't think "now wife" always means
the man had a prior wife, but that's the ordinary usage of the term,
and under the circumstances it's highly suggestive. Unless a
persuasive reason can be put forth as to why it should acquire a
different meaning in this case, I see no reason to discount its normal
meaning (see "Albion's Seed" (1989) p. 277 for a discussion of
this term and some observations on family life in the Virginia
tidewater of the 17th century).

c. The Thomas Carter prayer book. I have a copy of the pages with
genealogical information, which can be obtained from The Virginia
Historical Society in Richmond. The notes are written in different
hands because the book had a number of owners. How it survived 300
years is a minor miracle. Nowhere in this book does Thomas Carter
claim that his wife was the daughter of Diana Dale. It does show Diana
standing for Carter children at their baptism, along with my ancestor
Elizabeth (Dale) Rogers, and others with connections to the family,
including the wife of Diana's brother Grey. Judging from the glowing
epitaph which, apparently, Carter wrote for Edward Dale, it seems to me
had his wife been Diana Dale's daughter, the fact would have been
trumpeted. It is true that the Carters had a daughter, Diana, and a
son, Henry Skipwith Carter. I think that Diana Dale was the only
mother Katherine had ever known, so it's not all that surprising that
she named children after her step-mother or the step-mother's father.

Diana (Skipwith) Dale did have two daughters, Mary (Dale) Harrison, and
Elizabeth (Dale) Rogers, wife of William Rogers, but Mary left no known
descendants and must have died before Edward Dale. The only actual
descendants of Diana Dale are through the Rogers children.

Dale very clearly favored his eldest daughter Katherine, leaving her
and her family all of his estate. He does mention my ancestor,
Elizabeth (Dale) Rogers, but only in passing. Thomas Carter was a much
wealthier man than William Rogers, and in genealogical accounts of
Dale's family, frequently Katherine is the only child mentioned. For
an account of some of the descendants of Elizabeth (Dale) Rogers, see
Jay Berry Price's "The Price, Blakemore, Hamblen, Skipwith and
Allied Lines" (1992; Price also cites the 1655 deed evidence, and
draws the same conclusion as Ward, but without mentioning Katherine
Carter).

Douglas Richardson, in his two volumes (2004 & 2005) does put forth the
argument that Katherine (Dale) Carter was the daughter of Diana
(Skipwith) Dale, as do the Weis Magna Carta series and other
publications. I note that Roberts' "RD600" says Katherine
Carter's maternity is in question. Unfortunately the result has been
some confusion, and not always well-meaning, either. Some people
probably think that because Katherine (Dale) Carter's line has been
"broken," that the lines of Mary Harrison and Elizabeth Rogers
(Dale's youngest child) are suspect, too; nothing could be further
from the truth. It's not necessary to post the proof here, because I
posted it on Rootsweb's "Skipwith" board under the title "From
Edw. III to Diana Skipwith, d. 1695, wife of Edw. Dale", which anyone
can access. I like Douglas Richardson's books; they present a vast
amount of data in an easy to follow format, and I think are for the
most part correct, although I have spotted a few errors. In the case
of Katherine (Dale) Carter, I have to respectfully disagree. I think
it's time to put this one to rest.

Jeff Chipman
j***@hotmail.com
2005-10-19 03:15:53 UTC
WILL OF EDWARD DALE OF LANCASTER COUNTY, VIRGINIA

In the Name of God Amen the twenty fourth day of Augt 1694 I Edward
Dale of the County of Lancastr in Rappk River in Virga Gente being of
sound & p'fect memory God bee praised doe make and ordaine this my
last Will & Testamt in manner and forme following ffirst I commend my
soule into the hands of Almighty God my Creator and Reedeemer my body
to the earth from whence it Came to bee decently interred without any
wione drinking as for such wordly Estate as it is please God to blesse
mee wth I dispose of in manner and forme following, Imps if it shall
soe please God that my now wife shall happen to overliev mee I give
unto her for her maintenance dureing her life the whole p'ffit of my
Estate whatsoever some respect always had to her as an honest woman a
Gentle woman and many years my wife and after her decease I give the
plantacon whereon I bnow live to my two Grand Children Peter and Joseph
Carter to have and to holde to them their heirs and assignes forever to
bee equally divided betweene them and In Case the mortality of either
of them before they come to the age of one and twenty years then the
whole to the survivor and in Case of the mortality of both of them then
to my Grand Son Jno Carter Item I give unto my two Grand sons Peter and
Joseph Carter all my instrumts of husbandry upon or belonging to the sd
plantacon Item I give unto my Grand daughter Elizabeth Carter my best
bed and the trunck Item I give unto my two Grandsons Peter and Joseph
Carter and to my two grand daughters Elizabeth and Katherine Carter all
my P'sonall Estate whatsoever to bee equally divided betweene them
and in Case either of the Girls happen to dpart this life before their
day of marriage or eighteene years of age I give her part to the
survivor Item I give to my Grandson Peter Carter my Negro boy James &
to my Grandson Joseph Carter my mollato boy Robin Item I give unto my
daughter Elizabeth now wife of William Rogers twelve pence in full of
all claimes whatsoever Item it is my desire for the better improveing
of my Estate for the uses aforesaide that my Estate bee continued
together upon the saide plantacon and after my wife bee supplied with
necessairies and the plantacon likewise yearly I give unto my daughter
Katherine Carter during her life the p'ffit of all the Estate
whatsoever. Item I doe nominate and appoint my Grandsone Edward Carter
and my daughter Katherine Carter and my Granddaughter Elizabeth Carter
when she arrives to the age of sixteene yeares of age to bee my
Executors In Witness whereof I have hereunto put my hand and seale
Dated the day and yeare above written.
Edward Dale ye seale

Signed sealed and published in the presence of John Chilton p sigr
Thos: Carter Junr Henerey Carter

The above will was proved in County Court of Lancaster the 11th day of
March 1695 by oaths of John Chilton, Thomas Carter, Junior and Henry
Carter, witnesses in court. Recorded the 17th day following by John
Stretchley, Clerk of the court.

(Lancaster County, VA "Inventory and Wills" Book No. 8-C, pp.
55B-56; although I have a copy of this will, I'm quoting Jay Berry
Price's transcription of it; I'd ask his permission, but he passed
away some years ago.)

A deed recorded in Lancaster Co., VA dated 12 March 1677/8 proves that
Elizabeth Dale was married to William Rogers by then; the gift of a
plantation of 500 acres from Edward Dale to William and Elizabeth
(Dale) Rogers was therein conveyed.

We know from a 1674 Lancaster Co. deed that Elizabeth Dale was Diana
Skipwith's daughter because Diana referred to Mary Dale's husband
(Mary being the middle daughter of Edward Dale and Elizabeth the
youngest) Daniel Harrison as her "Sonne-in-law," proving that Mary
Dale was her daughter.

It has been argued that Diana Skipwith actually married Dale around
1652 and was the mother of Katherine Carter, even though in 1653 and
1655 she witnessed Lancaster Co. deeds as "Diana Skipwith." The
argument is that Diana Skipwith was a high-status woman and even though
married at the time, used her maiden name. I don't think this
argument holds water because after 1655 and until her death on 31 July
1695 ( period of close to forty years) she never used her maiden name
again. In order to accept this argument I would want to see proof that
she used her maiden name when she was actually married. The truth is
that all of the evidence we do have argues against Katherine (Dale)
Carter being a daughter of Diana Skipwith.

I am not a fan of clever arguments in genealogy. Before we set aside a
body of evidence there should be a damn good reason for so doing. I
like Douglas Richardson's books, own both of them, and will purchase
the next one. In this case, however, I am disappointed because he
identifies Katherine (Dale) Carter as a daughter of Diana Skipwith.
This perpetuates confusion, and I hope that he will rectify the
situation in his forthcoming baronial book, perhaps as Gary Boyd
Roberts did in RD600 when he said Katherine Carter's "... maternity
has been disputed; see the 2000 TAG and 2001 Plantagenet Connection
articles...". I am happy, however, to see that Mary Harrison and
Elizabeth Rogers are mentioned in the Richardson volumes; ironically, a
lot of the problem has been that these works only mention Katherine
Carter.

Jeff Chipman
m***@btinternet.com
2005-10-19 10:33:16 UTC
It would be interesting to hear whether anyone knows of instances of a
married woman using her maiden name during the same period (and ideally
the same general location); I am not aware of this in England at the
time, outside of cases where the husband of an heiress has taken her
family's name in lieu of his own.