Ancestors of William Crafford/Cranford (late 1600's) of North Carolina
DAVID BROWN
2009-05-03 23:39:37 UTC
Does anyone on the List know of the medieval ancestors of William Crafford who is found in late 1600's records of North Carolina?    An article (see Note 1 below) states his family was of County Kent in England.    In 1676, he was a POA for Peter Carteret, mentioned here as Governor of Carolina:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Carteret

Please see below for additional information pertaining to this William Crafford (variants of the surname include Craford, Cranford, and also IMO Crawford).

Thanks!

David Brown

Note 1:
From: "Bud" <***@bellsouth.net>
Subject: [CRANFORD-L] New River Cranfords
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:32:45 -0500

NATIONAL GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY QUARTERLY*DECEMBER 1965
volume 53 Number 4
CRAFFORD OF NEW RIVER, NORTH CAROLINA
BY Ellis Munson Goodwin
"William Crafford -probably was descended from the Crafford family originally
seated at Great Mongeham, County Kent England but how or when he or his
immigrant Crafford ancestor and other kinsmen of the Kentish Craffords came
seems to have escaped genealogical investigation. There is a will bearing a
seal with a coat of arms, presumably the seal of William Crafford, clerk of
the court. This seal may some day confirm, or reject, our belief based on
circumstantial evidence that the North Carolina Craffords were descended
from the Kentish family by that name."

Note 2:
Early Records of North Carolina  Volume II Wills, Administrations, Inventories, Deeds 1677 – 1790.  (From the Secretary of State Papers).   Abstracted by Dr. Stephen E. Bradley, Jr.

SS 874.2 (1677-1701)
23-(12) 29 Mar 1680. Joshua Lambe and William Therill both of sd county apply as the greatest creditors to administer the estate of Abraham Kimberley of this county who died intestate.  Allexander Lillington and William Wilkiston apparently held items belonging to the estate.  Signed: Jno. Jenkins, Anthony Slocum, Will Craford, Robart Holden.
29 Mar 1680.  Joshua Lambe, William Therill and Capt. William Craford post bond of 30,000 pounds of tobacco for Joshua Lambe and William Therill to administer the sd estate.  Witnessed: John Jenkins, Robt. Holden.

29-(22) 29 Mar 1680.  Alexander Lillington and William Therill both of sd county as nearest of kin apply to administer the estate of Thomas Cooke who died intestate.  Robart West and Timothy Meads to appraise.  Signed: John Jenkins, Anthony Slocum, Robt. Holden, William Crafford.

184-(156) 15 Nov 1676 in London .  Peter Carteret of Island of Jersey in County of Hampshire grants power of attorney to Capt. Wm. Craford of Albemarle Co., in Province of Carolina.  Witnessed by John Speire, J.H. Gregorie, John Harvey, Thomas Harvey.
24 Nov 1677.  John Harvey testified before Timo. Biggs.

Note by David:  William Crafford was also mentioned in the will of Dorothy Harvey (her maiden name was Tooke).  Her husband, John Harvey, was Governor of Carolina.  It is believed John Harvey was an uncle to Joseph & Matthew Commander.   In 1763, Joshua Sugg (father of Abigail who married John Rice, Jr. in 1773) purchased land from Samuel Commander.

Note 3:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/nc-pcfr/2006-09/1158065408
From: "Bill Kittrell" < ***@earthlink.net>
Subject: [NC-PCFR] CRAWFORD
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:50:08 -0400
Source: Abstract of Norfolk County, Virginia Wills (notes in this abstract indicate most of this will was torn and very few names given. I am giving the names shown).

William Crawford Will of Sept 26, 1699 proved Mar 16, 1699/1700
Walter Cocke and Thomas Cocke mentioned.
Wife: Margaret Crawford
Grandchildren: (not sure if these might be children) William Crawford and Abigail Crawford. It appears they were not 18 at the time of this will.
Servant: Anthony to be sent back to Plymouth and passage paid
Executor: James Cocke, of Plymouth as sole Exec
Other names mentioned: Mr. Matthews, Samuel Baush, Thomas Hodges
Mentions the ship Hope

Note 4:
By Bill R. Linder (deceased), Arlington, Virginia: Dinah Taylor sold 640 acres in Bertie County, North Carolina, to one Joseph Wat[s]ford in 1737.  The land was on the "Long Branch of Kellum," adjoining Andrew Stevenson, James Boon[e], and Thomas Mann. A witness was John Joyce, who had been associated with the Richard Taylor family in Norfolk County. This witnessing by John Joyce solidifies the tie between Bertie County and Norfolk County.  The question remained - How did Dinah Taylor acquire the land she was selling? No record has yet been found to show that the 640 acres ever belonged to Richard Taylor. Richard Taylor was deceased by 1734 when his estate was administered in Norfolk County.  Let's take a look at a few Watford transactions in Bertie County. Watford, by the way, was a Norfolk County family. On 21 Mar 1723, Joseph Watford bought for 6 pounds, 100 acres on Killem Swamp adjoining Andrew Stevenson from James Boon and wife Elizabeth. On the
same day, 21 Mar 1723, Joseph Watford witnessed when James Boon and wife Elizabeth sold for 8 pounds to James Norville, 100 acres on Killem Swamp adjoining Thomas Mann, Andrew Stephenson, and James Boon.  On 13 Mar 1724, Joseph Watford bought for 34 pounds, 130 acres on Killem Swamp adjoining Stevenson from Andrew Stevenson.   Now, absorb this. About this same time, one Dianah Ballentine appointed Joseph Watford power of attorney. On 24 Jan 1723/24 "… whereas George Ballentine dyed the twenty-first day this Instant January … leaving me … by will January 14, 1723 … executrix …" I do appoint Joseph Watford to make proof of said will, and have power of atty. to manage estate. Wit: William Cranford, Francis Brown. May Ct. 1724. John Sutton D. C/C.  (Note by David:  Dinah Taylor died in Norfolk Co., VA after 1750 – am looking at her as a possibility for mother of Joshua Sugg and his brothers as their “legal” names were changed from
Taylor to Sugg at the request of Moses Sugg to the North Carolina Legislature in 1784)

Nathaniel Taylor
2009-05-04 01:06:46 UTC
Post by DAVID BROWN
[...]

The complete article is available, transcribed, at:

http://budswebs.homeip.net/BudsWebs/BudsPage/GoodwinCmplt.doc

It does not appear to provide any evidence of the theorized connection
of William Crafford of Carolina to the Kentish family, other than,
apparently, the fact that Craffords in Carolina intermarried with a
Warren family which had some sort of proved connection to the Kentish
Craffords, though this isn't made very clear in the article.

The use in 1739 of an armorial seal by a grandson of the first settler
who was a county clerk (if indeed it was the clerk's own seal and not
the seal of the testator or a witness) does not have much value since
the seal is not described either by Goodwin or apparently by his source
(Grimes' _Abstract of North Carolina Wills_). I suppose one can find
the original and photograph it. If it is the seal of the Kentish
Craffords, that is only a very slight evidentiary crutch, but still
interesting. The Craf(f)ords of Mongham are found in the 1619
Visitation of Kent (p. 34) --

http://www.uk-genealogy.org.uk/england/Kent/visitation/p034.html

-- but of course the pedigree there doesn't help identify a potential
late 17th-century member of the family.

Nat Taylor
a genealogist's sketchbook:
http://www.nltaylor.net/sketchbook/
DAVID BROWN
2009-05-04 02:56:36 UTC
Thanks so much Nat!   I found this interesting excerpt from the complete article (from the link you provided):

"The Crafford ancestry of Thomas Warren of Smith's Fort Plantation, who came to Virginia 1641‑c, has been established (John Bennett Boddie: Virginia Historical Genealogies 1954, p. 234).....We have, therefore Warren‑Crafford‑Jenkins families, united by marriage and (in America) geographical origin, living as neighbors, conducting business transactions within the family group (Onslow deeds E 17; 1 62), and all probably nonconformists with respect to religious beliefs. Thus, Thomas Warren the immigrant was brought to Virginia by Daniel Gookin a Puritan, later eminent in the early history of the Massachusetts Bay Colony and in command (1681) of all military forces of the colony (Frederick William Cookin: Life of Major General Daniel Gookin; 1912). That James Crafford of the Waxhaws at mid‑century decided to forsake New River for the back country may be attributed in part to his feeling that the Presbyterian community then being established in the
Catawba River country would be compatible with his religious beliefs."

Gookin is a surname in Lower Norfolk Co., Virginia (same area where we find Crafford, Taylor, Sugg, etc.) per the following:

<***@aol.com> wrote:
Incidentally, John Martin of Lower Norfolk County married three times, his last wife being Ann Keeling, dau. of Lt. Thomas Keeling.  When John Martin died ca. 1666, she married  John Okehum and 3rd, Lt. Col. Anthony Lawson (two children, Mary and Thomas Lawson), whose 2nd wife was Mary Gookin Mosely, widow of William Mosely and dau. of Sarah Offley Thorowgood and her second husband John Gookin.  John Martin and Ann Keeling were the parents of Joel Martin of Beaufort who in turn was the father of John Martin who married Rocksolannah Carruthers (aunt to Sarah Carruthers who married John Rice, Sr.).

Nat, I'm still working to prove the following assertion (I think this was originally proposed by genealogist Mrs. Alice Granberry Walter).   However, it appears Anthony Lawson (mentioned above by Ann Ohmsen) may be the same person who later married Elizabeth Daynes/Daines, widow of Lewis Conner.   Lewis Conner & Elizabeth Daynes/Daines were the parents of Cader Conner who married Abigail Crawford, daughter of William Crawford who left the will in Lower Norfolk in 1699.   I believe they were also the parents of Ann Conner who married George Powell, possible neighbors to William Crafford who died in 1732 in Bertie Co., NC (this being the same William Crafford who witnessed the POA by Dinah Ballentine who later married Richard Taylor...Dinah being a possible candidate as mother to my ancestor Joshua Sugg who had a daughter Abigail Sugg married to John Rice, Jr.).    Some of the following links may be of interest:

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=lra001&id=I10592
http://genforum.genealogy.com/conner/messages/1767.html
http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?sir,william::daines::19.html

Long story short...I wonder if the presence of the Gookin family surname in Lower Norfolk Co., VA may provide any additional evidence of a Kent connection for the Craffords (following the logic of the Warren connection to Kent)?

Thanks again!

David

DAVID BROWN

l***@yahoo.com
2009-05-04 18:04:51 UTC
Post by DAVID BROWN
Upon further reflection, I guess if we cannot definitively ascertain the Warren connection to Kent, then the presence of the Gookin family there in Lower Norfolk may not mean much of anything as far as the Crafford family is concerned.

David
Long story short...I wonder if the presence of the Gookin family surname in
Lower Norfolk Co., VA may provide any additional evidence of a Kent connection
for the Craffords (following the logic of the Warren connection to Kent)?

Thanks again!

David

This is not connected to the question of your William's medieval
ancestry, but do you know if your William might have been related to
my David Crafford who had a wife Jane & daughter Sarah (she was born
1666 in Amherst Co., Virginia, & married a Thomas Poindexter?) Just
wondering. Thanks, Bronwen
DAVID BROWN
2009-05-05 03:30:15 UTC
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with David Crafford of Amherst Co., Virginia.   There was a Robert Crafford (c.1660-1714) who died in Surry Co., Virginia.   Perhaps, your David Crafford is connected with Robert Crafford?

Did David Crafford have a daughter named Elizabeth who married Nicholas Meriwether (who resided in New Kent Co., Virginia and was a son of Nicholas Meriwether, Sr. & Elizabeth Woodhouse)?    Do the Meriwethers derive from Kent, England?

The Meriwethers in New Kent Co., VA lived near my Terry family ancestors.   My ancestor Edward Bradley (died c.1733/1734) married Sarah Terry (no proof for her surname being Terry other than the persistent use of the name "Terry" in later generations of the Bradley family and the otherwise very close association between the Bradley & Terry families).   Edward Bradley was son of Thomas Bradley of New Kent Co., VA, described as a gateway ancestor and possible son of Thomas Bradley, Chaplain to King Charles I.

Additionally (and coming back again to Surry Co., Virginia), one William Browne of Surry Co., VA married Jane Meriwether.   The Brownes of Surry Co., Virginia were associated with the Swann family as was the Robert Crafford family (to whom I alluded earlier).

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gillam/1998-09/0905387194
Children of Col. Browne and Mary Browne are:
i. Henry Browne.
ii. Jane Browne, married (1) Robert Spencer; married
(2) Thomas Jordan.
iii. Mary Browne, died 1690.
7 iv. Anne Browne, born Abt. 1656; died Aft. 1675;
married Walter Flood Abt. 1677.
v. Capt. William Browne, born 1671 in Virginia; died
1746 in Surry County, Virginia; married Jane Meriwether.
vi. Priscilla Browne, born Abt. 1680; died 1733;
married (1) River Jordan; married (2) Thomas Blunt; married (3) William Thomas.
David

l***@yahoo.com

Date: Monday, May 4, 2009, 10:11 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with David Crafford of Amherst Co., Virginia.   There was a Robert Crafford (c.1660-1714) who died in Surry Co., Virginia.   Perhaps, your David Crafford is connected with Robert Crafford?

David
This is not connected to the question of your William's medieval
ancestry, but do you know if your William might have been related to
my David Crafford who had a wife Jane & daughter Sarah (she was born
1666 in Amherst Co., Virginia, & married a Thomas Poindexter?) Just
wondering. Thanks, Bronwen
The details I have on David Crafford say, also, that he was a Burgess
in St. Peters Parish, New Kent County, VA; his wife's name was Jane.
His daughter, in my line, was Sarah Crafford, b. 12 May 1666, Amherst
Co., VA; d. before 23 March 1752 Trinity Parish, Louisa Co., VA. This
information is from "The Quiet Adventurers in North America" by Marion
Tuck, 1992, p. 170. However, the book was discussing the Poindexters &
did not go farther into the Craffords. I know it's not the original
point of the thread, but - hey - the opportunity has presented
itself...thanks, Bronwen
DAVID BROWN

DAVID BROWN
2009-05-06 02:16:35 UTC
I'm glad you brought this up as wasn't aware of the Meriwether connection (and the Meriwethers were in Trinity Parish of Louisa Co., Virginia as well).

You may have already seen the following, but thought I'd share just in case:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gen-medieval/2007-09/1190213233
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/crawford/1999-02/0920066608

Someone did write to me privately and confirmed that David Crawford/Crafford's daugther married Nicholas Meriwether (born c.1667).

Interestingly, Nicholas Meriwether's father supposedly married a granddaughter of Henry Woodhouse, Gov. of Bermuda (his son Henry Woodhouse II died in Lower Norfolk County, Virginia c.1655) as mentioned in the following:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/booth/1998-04/0893260163
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gen-medieval/1997-01/0852511945

Although there is some disagreement as to which Woodhouse family Elizabeth stems:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gen-medieval/1997-01/0852673857

Thanks again!

David

DAVID BROWN
2009-05-06 02:59:46 UTC

While looking for evidence of a connection in Kent, England amongst the Crafford, Warren, and Gookin families, I found the following (this appears to be ultimately sourced from Gary Boyd Roberts):
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gen-medieval/1998-08/0903941466

As mentioned in an earlier posting, Abigail Crawford/Crafford (whom I think was a granddaughter of William Crafford who died in 1699 in Lower Norfolk Co., Virginia...most likely the same William Crafford who is named in some of the early North Carolina records shared previously with the List) was the daughter-in-law of Elizabeth Daines Conner.   Elizabeth Daines Conner married as her second husband Anthony Lawson -- this was Anthony Lawson's third marriage as his second wife was Mary Gookin Moseley (niece of Daniel Gookin & widow of William Moseley).   The following links discuss in more detail:
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=moseley1&id=I6452
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=moseley1&id=I701

I also found the following very compelling (IMO) post although cannot ascertain the actual source of this information:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/warren/1998-06/0897549985 (Excerpt below):
It is known that the Gookins came from Kent, England, and a reference to that family in the county histories of Kent show that the Warrens and Gookins were kin. William Warren, owned the manor of Ripple Court near the village of Ripple in Kent. He was a son of John Warren and his wife, Anna, daughter of Sir William Craford of Mongeham, nearby. William had married Catharine,
daughter of Thomas Gookin of Ripple on June 4, 1619, and they had a son,Thomas Warren, baptized at Ripple, Jan 30, 1624. Sir William Crayford (Crafford) had another daughter, Alice, who married John Meriwether of Sheperdswell, January 7, 1613.
In Surry we find these same families, well to do, prominent and
intermarrying. Nicholas Meriwether, Clerk of Surry, married a daughter of David Crafford (not Crawford) of James City. Robert Crafford, founder of the Surry family, patented land in Surry. Edward Warren who died in Surry in 1676 was possibly a member of this Warren family of Kent. In his will he made his "loving friend", Nicholas Meriwether, his executor."

b***@gmail.com

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:50:08 -0400
[...]

Taylor to Sugg at the request of Moses Sugg to the NoInrth Carolina Legislature in 1784)

In regards to Abigail Crawford who married Cader Conner, she is the daughter of George Crawford and Abigail Mason. Abigail's father was Col. Lemuel Mason. He conveyed 1/3 of White's Island to George Crawford and Abigail Mason. The date for this was 14 May 1690. Both George Crawford and Abigail Mason died before possession could be given to them. On 29 Oct 1692, William Crawford (wife Margaret) gave bond to secure the property to their children. Adventurers of Purse and Person, Virginia, 1607-1624/5: Families G-P
edited by John Frederick Dorman page 575.

I am also researching this family.

Becki Smith