C.P. Addition: Anne Willoughby, wife of John Paulet, Esq., Charles Blount, 5th Lord Mountjoy, Richard Broke, Esq., and John Bonham, Knt.
c***@gmail.com
2019-12-22 23:18:57 UTC
Dear Newsgroup ~

Complete Peerage 9 (1936): 341–342 (sub Mountjoy) had a good account of Charles Blount, 5th Lord Mountjoy, died 1544. Regarding his marriage, the following information is given:

"He married, circa August 1530, Anne, daughter and coheir of Robert (Willoughby), Lord Willoughby, of Broke, by the above-named Dorothy, his father's 4th wife. He died 10 October 1544, at Hook, Dorset, and was buried at St. Mary Aldermary, London. Will dated 30 April 1544. His widow married Richard Broke, who died between 24 Nov. 1548 and 5 Jan. 1548/9, and was buried at Westbury, Wiltshire. She died 24 Dec. 1582, at Hook aforesaid." END OF QUOTE.

As we can see above, Anne Willoughby is assigned two marriages, that is, 1stly, to Charles Blount, 5th Lord Mountjoy, and (2nd) Richard Broke. However, it appears that Anne Willoughby actually had four marriages in all, not two.

Anne Willoughby married (1st) a certain John Paulet, Esq. Evidence for this previously unknown marriage is found in Hutchins, History & Antiquities of Dorset 2 (1863): 497. Hutchins records that Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, and Anne his wife, relict of John Paulet, Esq., presented to the church of West Chickerel, Dorset on 22 November 1538.

Care should be take to distinguish Anne Willoughby's 1st husband, John Paulet, Esq., from her sister, Elizabeth's husband, Sir John Paulet, Knt., later 2nd Marquess of Winchester.

As for additional evidence for Anne Willoughby's 3rd marriage to Richard Broke, Esq., I find that in Hilary term 1548 John Paulett/Pawlet, Knt., and Richard Broke, Esq., and Anne his wife sued Humphrey Trevylyan, Esq., of Week St. Mary, Cornwall, in the Court of Common Pleas regarding a trespass in Poorstoke, Dorset, and regarding a reasonable account of the time the said Humphrey was receiver of money for John, Richard, and Anne.

Sir John Paulet in the 1548 lawsuit above would be the surviving husband of Anne Willoughby's sister, Elizabeth Willoughby. Sir John Paulet evidently held Willoughby properties at Hooke, Dorset, Brook (in Westbury), Wiltshire, and elsewhere in right of his wife, Elizabeth Willoughby, they sharing these properties with Elizabeth's sister, Anne Willoughby, Lady Mountjoy.

As to Anne Willoughby's 4th and final marriage, I find that she married before 1551 John Bonham, Knt., of Hazlebury and Brook (in Westbury), Wiltshire. This marriage is proven by two Chancery Proceedings copied below which are taken from the online Discovery catalog. Both lawsuits appear to be partly mutilated. The lawsuit dated 1553-1555 specifically names John Bonham's wife as "Lady Anne Mountjoye."

A well written biography of Sir John Bonham can be found online at the following weblink. It is taken from Bindoff, House of Commons 1509–1558 1 (1982).

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1509-1558/member/bonham-john-1524-55

The biography of Sir John Bonham cited above indicates that he died at Brook (in Westbury), Wiltshire 10 January 1555. The biography confirms his marriage to Anne Willoughby, Lady Mountjoy. As indicated by the 1st Chancery item below, John Bonham was evidently a knight, which fact is not included by Bindoff.

In summary, I find that Anne Willoughby married (1st) John Paulet, Esq.; (2nd) Charles Blount, 5th Lord Mountjoy; (3rd) Richard Broke, Esq.; and (4th) John Bonham, Knt., of Hazlebury and Brook (in Westbury), Wiltshire.

Douglas Richardson, Historian and Genealogist

+ + + + + + + + +
Chancery Proceeding, Reference: C 1/1377/31

Plaintiffs: Henry RAYE, Denise [his wife, and their child ?].

Defendants: John BONHAM, knight.

Subject: Pasture called `Leyfeld' of the demise of Lady Anne Mountjoye, wife of defendant. Wiltshire

Note: Mutilated.
Date: 1553-1555
Held by: The National Archives, Kew

+ + + + + + + +

Chancery Proceeding, Reference: C 4/24/424

Walter by the W[?...] v. John Bonham and [?his wife] Anne: bill.

Date of document before 1554

Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Adrian Channing
Date: 1500-1553
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
It seems unlikely to me that the two Willoughby sisters Anne and Elizabeth should have both married different men with the same name "John Paulet." It is more probable that Hutchins has made an error, or perhaps an error in his source, confusing Anne with Elizabeth. Is there any independent evidence that Anne did marry a John Paulet?

Adrian (with seasonal greetings)
c***@gmail.com
2019-12-26 18:10:21 UTC
Dear Adrian ~

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated as always.

My review of Mr. Hutchins' work indicates that he was excellent historian. He appears to have carefully transcribed hundreds of institutions to Dorset churches. The odds that he would have misread a record of this nature are quite slim.

With regards to your comment that it was unlikely that Anne and ELizabeth Willoughby might have married two different men named John Paulet, with very little trouble I've determined that there were at least three John Paulets in this time period. So yes, there could have been two different John Paulets who married into the Willoughby family.

In fact I find that Sir John Paulet who married Elizabeth Willoughby is specifically styled John Paulet junior (or the younger) in at least two lawsuits with his father dated 1525. Presumably John Paulet the elder was an adult in 1525 and capable of marrying Anne Willoughby before 1530, when Anne had married her next spouse, Charles Blount.

The bottom line is that I trust Hutchins that Anne Willoughby was styled the relict of John Paulet, Esq., in the record of the presentation to the church of West Chickerel, Dorset in 1538.

2019-12-26 23:34:50 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
You miss the mark entirely by calling upon the reputation of Hutchins as a historian to defend your claim in this matter. The issue is not whether Hutchins "accurately transcribed" (or, alternatively, "misread") the record in question (from Shaxton's register), but instead whether the record itself is accurate in its reference to John Paulet. In other words, whether the recorder of that record possibly confused which Willoughby sister married John Paulet.

If you have in fact found records for "at least three John Paulets" in "this time period" (however you define that), I'm sure you can, "with very little effort", give us the details of these records - and explain how you determined that they were separate men. The same goes for the 1525 suits in which the John Paulet who did marry a Willoughby sister is described as "younger" or "junior". And, if these records are accurate, it begins the question of who "John Paulet the elder" was.

BTW CP 12 pt. 2 says p. 762 that John Paulet, 2nd Marquess of Winchester was born ca. 1510 - thus, 15 years old in 1525.

The reference in Hutchins continues to be the ONLY source for the assertion that Anne Willoughby, wife of Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, had a previous husband John Paulet. Some other avenues of research which should be pursued on this matter include:
1) are there any Willoughby sources which report two Paulet marriages to Willoughby sisters?
2) are there any Paulet sources which report two John Paulets marrying Willoughby sisters?
3) are there any Blount sources which give Anne Willoughby a previous husband John Pauley?
At present I believe that the answer to all three of these questions is "NO".
Hans Vogels

John Higgins
2019-12-27 18:05:31 UTC

A small correction to my clumsy typing: for "begins the questions", read "begs the question".
Carl-Henry Geschwind
2019-12-25 15:14:59 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
Anne Willoughby married (1st) a certain John Paulet, Esq. Evidence for this previously unknown marriage is found in Hutchins, History & Antiquities of Dorset 2 (1863): 497. Hutchins records that Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, and Anne his wife, relict of John Paulet, Esq., presented to the church of West Chickerel, Dorset on 22 November 1538.
This is also found in an earlier edition of Hutchins's work: John Hutchins, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset (London: 1774), I: 425, viewable (for those in the U.S., at least) at https://archive.org/details/b30456496_0001/page/424

Hutchins gives as source something called "Shaxton". This apparently refers to Nicholas Shaxton, who was Bishop of Salisbury at this time. Thus, is this a reference to some diocesan archive?
John Higgins
2019-12-25 21:45:32 UTC
Post by Carl-Henry Geschwind
Post by c***@gmail.com
Anne Willoughby married (1st) a certain John Paulet, Esq. Evidence for this previously unknown marriage is found in Hutchins, History & Antiquities of Dorset 2 (1863): 497. Hutchins records that Charles Blount, Lord Mountjoy, and Anne his wife, relict of John Paulet, Esq., presented to the church of West Chickerel, Dorset on 22 November 1538.
This is also found in an earlier edition of Hutchins's work: John Hutchins, The History and Antiquities of the County of Dorset (London: 1774), I: 425, viewable (for those in the U.S., at least) at https://archive.org/details/b30456496_0001/page/424
Hutchins gives as source something called "Shaxton". This apparently refers to Nicholas Shaxton, who was Bishop of Salisbury at this time. Thus, is this a reference to some diocesan archive?
The 3rd edition of Hutchins' Dorset, cited in the original post, also cites "Shaxton" for the item about "a certain John Paulet". But I cannot readily find any place in the 4 volumes of Hutchins' work where the Shaxton reference is documented more fully.

A snippet view in Google Books points to a 1973 book, "Guide to the records of the bishop, the archdeacons of Salisbury and Wiltshire", by Pamela Webster, which (on page 5) appears to give information on where Bishop Shaxton's register can be found. But unfortunately the snippet is too small to determine this.

When I read the original post, I reached the same conclusion as Adrian. Without further evidence, it seems unlikely that both Willoughby sisters married men named John Paulet. I think it's much more likely that someone (presumably the compiler of the register) simply confused which Willoughby sister married John Paulet. I think more evidence is needed for the existence of another John Paulet. For example, does any Willoughby pedigree mention two Paulet marriages?
John Higgins
2019-12-25 21:52:33 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
This may be a bit of further information on the location of Bishop Shaxton's register:
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/8a8817b8-589a-4d7a-bd14-3c1b1ef5d232