Sir Archibald Douglas ca 1600-1644
mk
2017-10-11 02:49:32 UTC
Does anyone know which Sir Archibald Douglas, dying in 1644 (at the age of
44 according to his widow) married in 1627 the mad prophetess Eleanor
Touchet, daughter of George Touchet, Earl of Castlehaven (+1617) and widow
of the poet Sir John Davies, attorney general for Ireland (+1626)?

best,

MK
Kelsey Jackson Williams
2017-10-11 06:44:19 UTC
Post by mk
Does anyone know which Sir Archibald Douglas, dying in 1644 (at the age of
44 according to his widow) married in 1627 the mad prophetess Eleanor
Touchet, daughter of George Touchet, Earl of Castlehaven (+1617) and widow
of the poet Sir John Davies, attorney general for Ireland (+1626)?
best,
MK
I'm not sure I'd be comfortable characterising Eleanor Touchet as "mad", given that this was the kind of rhetoric deployed against her by her contemporary detractors, but leaving that aside, her second husband was Sir Archibald Douglas of Tilquhilly, second son of John Douglas of Tilquhilly, Kincardineshire, and Mary Young, grandson of John Douglas of Tilquhilly and Giles Erskine. His maternal grandfather was Sir Peter Young of Seaton, the tutor of James VI, and his paternal grandmother was a granddaughter of John Erskine, 5th of Dun, the well-known Angus Reformer (though not, I think, by his second marriage to his French wife). A reasonably accurate pedigree of the family is given in "Pedigree of Douglas of Tilquhilly or Tilwhilly, co. Kincardine", _The Genealogist_5 (1881): 193-204.

All the best,
Kelsey
mk
2017-10-11 12:30:48 UTC
Thanks for this, Kelsey. I had him misplaced as the one from Dornock.

I shouldn't have been flippant about Eleanor...but even reading a little of
her "crucifi'ed Book" I can't help imagining what it was like to live with
her. Not to mention the charming way she would predict when her nearest and
dearest would die :(

Archibald was said to have died mad. Of course, he might have already been
disturbed when he married.

Regards,
Monica

Kelsey Jackson Williams

d***@googlemail.com
2018-06-13 19:33:40 UTC
Sir Archibald Douglas was apparently knighted by King Charles I 'for bravery', as was his younger brother, and successor, Robert.

Charles dished out many knighthoods, mostly, I think, to raise funds. Is there a list somewhere?