William FARWELL of Boston, Eng. ( - 1637)
m***@gmail.com
2018-05-15 01:29:57 UTC
Thought I'd post to see if any of the other FARWELL researchers out there
have found new evidence of William FARWELL's ancestry. William was
the father of Henry FARWELL, who married Olive WELBY (a descendant
of the BULKELEY family) and migrated to Concord MA.
Some of Henry FARWELL's ancestry English ancestry was published
in a great 2-volume book called "The Farwell Family" by Dennis Farwell,
1929. It is well-documented book that includes wills of other FARWELL
families, but there was nothing conclusive at that time.
Anyway, Henry FARWELL was the son of William FARWELL ( - 1637)of Boston,
Lincoln Co. England and an unknown first wife (who died before
17 Jul 1617). William was a tailor and also held various elected
offices in Boston and was elderly at death (a subjective description,
of course). Evidently, because nothing was found concerning William
and his first wife on the Boston parish registers and other records
prior to his second marriage to Joan ( --) COLE in 1617, it seems to
indicate that he moved to Boston around 1617. This is supported by
the fact that he was admitted as a freeman by purchase in 1620. That
means that he wasn't from Boston by birth or apprenticeship. This also
means that Henry was not born in Boston. Since William was a tailor,
I would concentrate a search in the clothing-trade counties of Suffolk,
Norfolk, and Essex.
OK, now the theories.
In seven counties surrounding Lincoln Co. the only mention of a William
FARWELL who would be about the age of the William in Boston is in the
parish of South Rainham (Martin Raynham), Norfolk. This parish is only
about 35 miles away from Boston, by way of the Wash and King's Lynn.
The South Rainham (Martin Raynham) William FARWELL was born
ca 1582 - 1584, derived from his age when he inherited property. He
also had an older brother named Henry. Could our Henry be named
after this brother? This William FARWELL was the son of James FARWELL
and Katherine ____. James died in 1593, leaving a widow and eleven
children. William was evidently the youngest. James was the son
of ____ FARWELL and Annys (Agnes) ____ of South Rainham (Martin
Raynham). Annys died in 1562.
I believe that the husband of Annys was Thomas FARWELL of South Rainham
(Martin Raynham) who died in 1557. His will is on Volume 2 page 845-46
of the Farwell genealogy. He names his wife Agnes and sons Richard,
Robert, John the elder (the oldest son) and John the younger. It
wasn't unusual to give two sons the same name, especially if they were
far apart in age. I suppose it is also possible that the older John
was the son of a first wife. Thomas' will also names daughters Anne,
Agnes, Alice, Rose, Amy and Christian. These names are strikingly
similar to the children named in the will of Annys (--) FARWELL in
1562. It looks as if this Thomas FARWELL was the son of John FARWELL
of Martin Ryanham, whose will was proved in 1523. This will names his
wife Margaret and sons Thomas and John.
John FARWELL ( - 1523) & Margaret ____ ( - aft 1523)
Thomas FARWELL ( - 1557) & Agnes ____ ( - 1562)
James FARWELL (- 1593) & Katherine ___ ( - aft 1593)
William FARWELL ( - 1637) & ______ ( - by 1617)
Henry FARWELL & Olive WELBY
Oh well, this is definitely just a theory. I just wanted to run it up
the flagpole and see who saluted. Hope to hear from my "cousins"
out there, or anyone else who would like to chime in.
Vickie (Elam) White
Vickie -- A great deal of confusion has arisen from the erroneous transcription of the marriage date of William Farwell and the widow Joan Cole. As you will see on freereg.uk, the actual year of their marriage was 1604, not 1617. Thus Henry Farwell was the son of William and Joan, not of an "unknown first wife." I believe that this William is identical with the William Farwell who was chr. 2 Jan 1558/9 at Gressenall, Norfolk, son of William. Probably the parents were the William Farwell who had married Alice So-am (surname difficult to decipher) 20 Sept 1557 at Beetley, Norfolk. (Beetley is within easy walking distance of Gressenhall.) I will lay odds that Henry's father was a William Farwell III, as a William Farwell married Emme Cowper 19 Oct 1538 at Gressenhall. She was buried there 20 May 1556. William was buried 10 Dec 1566 at Beetley. MS
m***@gmail.com
2018-05-15 01:31:56 UTC
Farwell is not a name that seems to have existed or continued in Lincolnshire
aside from the immediate region of Boston and William's Family. Boston was the
major trade center in the south part of co. Lincoln (and a
Puritan/nonconformist center too), so it is entirely believable that William
could have come from co. Norfolk, not that far away. But the question is, can
we prove it? Happy hunting!
pcr
As I posted just now in reply to Vickie, I think that you are right about the family's origin in Norfolk. Here's my note: Vickie -- A great deal of confusion has arisen from the erroneous transcription of the marriage date of William Farwell and the widow Joan Cole. As you will see on freereg.uk, the actual year of their marriage was 1604, not 1617. Thus Henry Farwell was the son of William and Joan, not of an "unknown first wife." I believe that this William is identical with the William Farwell who was chr. 2 Jan 1558/9 at Gressenall, Norfolk, son of William. Probably the parents were the William Farwell who had married Alice So-am (surname difficult to decipher) 20 Sept 1557 at Beetley, Norfolk. (Beetley is within easy walking distance of Gressenhall.) I will lay odds that Henry's father was a William Farwell III, as a William Farwell married Emme Cowper 19 Oct 1538 at Gressenhall. She was buried there 20 May 1556. William was buried 10 Dec 1566 at Beetley.
a***@gmail.com
2018-05-15 06:12:55 UTC
https://groups.google.com/d/topic/soc.culture.europe/dWHTWSHTZyE