Robert Elrington Esq. of Hackney, Middx., and Kateryn Browne
Brian Hessick
2015-04-26 12:34:22 UTC
I am trying to place where Robert Elrington Esq. of Hackney and Hoxton, Middx., fits into the Elrington pedigree. He married Kateryn d/o William Browne alderman and (1507) mayor of London. Kateryn Elrington (née Browne) was deceased before October 1525, as stated in her brother's will (William Browne PROB 11/21/618).

They had issue:
John
Thomas
Dorothy, married John Darnall, Baron of the Exchequer
Elizabeth, married Bartholomew Jekyll of Newington, Middx.
Anne, married (1st) ... Vaughan and (2nd) William Lego of London
Ursula, married Martin Massingberd
Margaret, married Augustin Massingberd of Braytoft, Linc.

In The Oxford History of the Laws of England Vol. VI, it is mentioned that Robert Elrington (of the Middle Temple) was secondary of the Bread Street Compter in 1506, and unfortunately there is no mention of his name in the Register of Admissions for the Middle Temple.

I cannot find a sufficient visitation of this family anywhere. The Elrington pedigree in Essex Visitation (HSP 13) is far from complete.

The will of Thomas Elrington, son of Simon Elrington Esquire, (proven 27 January 1524) makes no mention of Robert.

There is a Inq. Post Mortem of Edward Elington dated 1515-1516. Might anyone know if the IPMs are digitized and viewable?

Any help on figuring out Robert Elrington would be very much appreciated.
Tompkins, Matthew (Dr.) via
2015-04-26 16:03:14 UTC
2015-04-28 11:54:48 UTC
Thanks Matt, appreciate the info. According to TNA, he had IPMs for Middlesex and Sussex. Hopefully I might pique interest into this matter by other sets of eyes. In the past, there have been many posting that directly relate to Robert Elrington and his wife, though parts are still a bit obscure. The overlapping social circles of the Betchworth and the London mayors Brownes may suggest that both William Browne, both mayors of London, were descendent of Sir Thomas Browne, Chancellor of the Exchequer, who was beheaded in 1460. Certainly the use of the same Christian names (Leonard and Anthony in particular) would also suggest that possibility.

Topics of past inquiries:

Anne Elrington married (1st)... Vaughan. Had issue: 2 sons, Edward, married Emme d/o Sir Matthew Browne of Betchworth, Surr.; and Bartholomew. And 2 daus., Joan, married John Wiseman Esq. of Felsted, Essex; and Elizabeth. Vaughan died sometime between 1519-1537. Married (2nd) William Lego (or Lythego) of London.

Citations:
PROB 11/23/349 (William Lego)
PROB 11/30/68 (Anne Lego), "my daughter Elizabeth Vaughan... [when] at her age of 21." "daughter Wiseman."
E 163/9/33 (Edward Vaughan to his uncle John Darnall), "look for news from you for my brother Wiseman's matter."
PROB 11/43/74 (John Wiseman), "my mother Anne Lythego's soul"

In the Visitations of Essex (HSP 13), John Wiseman of Felsted, Essex married Joane d. of Lucas of London. I deduce that it should rather read as, Joane step dau. of William Lego of London.

When comparing the will of Edward Vaughan Esq. of London, who married Emme d/o Sir Matthew Browne of Betchworth, Surrey, to the will of Stephen Vaughan, ambassador to the Netherlands, many similarities can be drawn. Both bequeath items to Sir John Mason; they both were close to Sir William Paget; they resided in Cheap, London; and they were adamant Protestants. It is very plausible that the two were closely related (possibly uncle/nephew). And given their office positions and careers, many of the arrows would point to them being descendant of Sir Thomas Vaughan. Fairly certain the paper trail, to prove or disprove, exists in Kew.

Bartholomew Jekyll Esq. of Newington Middx., married (1st) Elizabeth d/o Robert Elrington Esq. of Hackney, Middx. Had issue: 1 son, John Stocker, married Mary d/o Nicholas Barnehouse of Bristol, Gloucs. And 1 dau., Cecily, married (1st) Thomas Herne Esq. of Hackney, Middx., and (2nd) James... of Colchester, Essex. Elizabeth died sometime between December 1545 and July 1555. Married (2nd) Richard d/o... Garland of Lyme, Dorset, widow of Nicholas Barnehouse of Bristol, Gloucs.

Citations:
PROB 11/32/362 (Margaret Jekyll née Stocker) "my daughter Elizabeth, Batholomew's [wife]"
J.L. Chester, London Marriage Licences 1521-1869 (1887), p. 756. (Marriage between Bartholomew Jekyll of Newington and Richarda Marwood alias Barnehouse 14 July 1555).
PROB 11/36/202 (Nicholas Barnehouse)
R. Clutterbuck, Hist. of Herts. Vol. II (1815), p. 458 (Jekyll pedigree).

John Darnall, Baron of the Exchequer, of London, married Dorothy d/o Robert Elrington Esq. of Hackney, Middx. Had issue: 1 son, John, married (1st) Susan d/o John Mynne Esq., Auditor of the Exchequer, of London, and (2nd) Susan dau. and coheir of Roger Lawrence of Hertingfordbury, Herts.

I guess it should come as no surprise to find the only Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence (Charles Carroll) having ancestral ties to Sir Thomas More (through this Elrington marriage). In fact, [baron] Darnall was a witness to the will of William Roper's mother, Jane Roper (née Fyneux), as also his sister, Alice, lived in Lynsted, Kent (possibly on the Roper manorial estate).

Happy hunting,
Brian Hessick
Brian Hessick

Brian Hessick
Matt Tompkins
2015-04-28 12:08:11 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
Thanks Matt, appreciate the info. According to TNA, he had IPMs for Middlesex and Sussex.
In that case, you could try this (I believe it's available on the Internet Archive):

F. W. T. Attree (ed.), Notes of post mortem inquisitions taken in Sussex. 1 Henry VII to 1649 and after. Sussex Record Society, vol. 14. (1912)

Matt
Brian Hessick
2015-04-28 12:51:16 UTC
It was in there and stated a will being made. Went back to TNA and bracketed the time frame. Sure enough the will populated this time around. In it he bequeaths to his eldest son Edward and youngest son Richard, and for default of issue, to the daughters of his brother Combe. I would assume this means Edward was the only male heir of Sir John Elrington. He also mentioned his brother-in-law Richard Shirley Esq. And thus in the Visitation of Sussex (HSP 53), it lists Beatrix Shirley as marrying Edward Elrington of Hoxton.
v***@gmail.com
2017-04-07 07:46:33 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
Post by Matt Tompkins
F. W. T. Attree (ed.), Notes of post mortem inquisitions taken in Sussex. 1 Henry VII to 1649 and after. Sussex Record Society, vol. 14. (1912)
It was in there and stated a will being made. Went back to TNA and bracketed the time frame. Sure enough the will populated this time around. In it he bequeaths to his eldest son Edward and youngest son Richard, and for default of issue, to the daughters of his brother Combe. I would assume this means Edward was the only male heir of Sir John Elrington. He also mentioned his brother-in-law Richard Shirley Esq. And thus in the Visitation of Sussex (HSP 53), it lists Beatrix Shirley as marrying Edward Elrington of Hoxton.
Hi Brian

I realise this is an old post but was wondering if you have placed Robert Elrington in the Elrington pedigree. I have been chasing this family for years and have Robert as a disconnected Elrington as I do not know where he fits. Before adding anything else I will wait and see if you are still looking into the Elringtons.

Cheers
Vivienne
Brian Hessick
2017-04-07 20:07:56 UTC
Post by v***@gmail.com
I realise this is an old post but was wondering if you have placed Robert Elrington in the Elrington pedigree. I have been chasing this family for years and have Robert as a disconnected Elrington as I do not know where he fits. Before adding anything else I will wait and see if you are still looking into the Elringtons.
Hey Vivienne,

Because he was interchangeably fashioned as Robert Elrington Esq., of Hackney, or Hoxton, Middx., it would be reasonable to assume he was close in relation to John Elrington, knt., of Udimore, near Rye, Suss. (d. 1483)

I am not exactly sure on how at the moment, but there are some cases of interest that might shed light on the matter. By the descriptions, there is a possibility that Sir John Elrington had a brother John Elrington who married to Joan_____; and they had a son Robert.

**(1)**
Reference: C 1/133/1
Short title: Elrington v Elrington
Plaintiffs: Edward, son of Sir John Elrington, knight.
Defendants: John Elryngton, brother (sic) of the said Sir John, feoffee to uses.
Subject: A marsh in Iden, late of the said Sir John.
Sussex.
2 documents
Date: 1486-1493, or 1504-1515

**(2)**
Reference: C 1/114/63
Short title: A Port v Elryngton.
Plaintiffs: John, son of John a Port, deceased.
Defendants: John Elrington, of London.
Subject: Detention of deeds relating to messuages and land in New Sarum, Old Sarum, Wimborne Minster, Canford and Poole.
(Annexed is a letter from Laurence Cokkes, vicar general of Thomas [Langton], bishop of Salisbury, to Archbishop Bourchier, containing a copy of the will of the said John, the father).
Wiltshire,Dorset.
3 documents
Date: 1486-1493, or 1504-1515

**(3)**
Reference: C 1/275/36
Short title: A Port v Elrington.
Plaintiffs: John, son and heir of John Aport, late of New Sarum, merchant.
Defendants: Johanne and Robert, executors and late the wife and son of John Elryngton.
Subject: Detention of deeds relating to six messuages and land in Poole, Candover, and Wimborne Minster, and to thirteen messuages in New Sarum.
Dorset, Wiltshire.
3 documents
Date: 1504-1515

I have not found any will of John Elrington dated before 1515 that has his wife Joan and son Robert as execs, so a look at (3) document might be very useful.
Brian Hessick
2017-04-07 20:52:51 UTC
I read that wrong; the will attached is John a Port's and not John Elrington's.
Brian Hessick
2017-04-09 04:28:24 UTC
Here are some other documents of interest:

**(1)**
Reference: C 1/281/68
Short title: Bagworth v Eldryngton.
Plaintiffs: Martin, son and heir of Robert Bagworth, son and heir of John Bagworth, and Blanche, his wife.
Defendants: Johanne Eldryngton.
Subject: A messuage in St Tolowse in Silver Street.
London.
4 documents
Date: 1504-1515

The messuage in dispute, I believe, should say St. Olave in Silver Street (being the only parish church on Silver St.).
John Darnall, married to Dorothy d/o Robert Elrington, (and after his decease, Edward Vaughan, son of Anne d/o Robert Elrington), lived in St. Olave on Silver Street and possibly in this same disputed messuage.

From a deed transfer in Southampton, we have the identity of Joan Elrington. She was the daughter of Robert Bagworth, Mayor of Southampton (will probated 24 July 1477).

https://books.google.com/books?id=08FCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=%22martin+bagworth%22%7C%22martyn+bagworth%22%7C%22martin+bagworthe%22&source=bl&ots=ur6pBFijsL&sig=TDGsM6-c-tTv2_9aAdjnChUnZgo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWrI3Ou5bTAhWG0iYKHWbsCZEQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=%22martin%20bagworth%22%7C%22martyn%20bagworth%22%7C%22martin%20bagworthe%22&f=false

(page 175)
Vivienne Caldwell
Date: 1504-1515
The messuage in dispute, I believe, should say St. Olave in Silver Street (being the only parish church on Silver St.).
John Darnall, married to Dorothy d/o Robert Elrington, (and after his decease, Edward Vaughan, son of Anne d/o Robert Elrington), lived in St. Olave on Silver Street and possibly in this same disputed messuage.
From a deed transfer in Southampton, we have the identity of Joan Elrington. She was the daughter of Robert Bagworth, Mayor of Southampton (will probated 24 July 1477).
https://books.google.com/books?id=08FCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA175&lpg=PA175&dq=%22martin+bagworth%22%7C%22martyn+bagworth%22%7C%22martin+bagworthe%22&source=bl&ots=ur6pBFijsL&sig=TDGsM6-c-tTv2_9aAdjnChUnZgo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiWrI3Ou5bTAhWG0iYKHWbsCZEQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=%22martin%20bagworth%22%7C%22martyn%20bagworth%22%7C%22martin%20bagworthe%22&f=false
(page 175)
A possible reference to Joan Bagworth/Elrington perhaps:

Jhoone Elryngton, wedowe of Hakney, 1510. (Marginal note that it was not proved.)

'Appendices', in London Consistory Court Wills, 1492-1547, ed. Ida Darlington (London, 1967), pp. 151-157. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/london-record-soc/vol3/pp151-157
Brian Hessick
2017-05-11 00:26:39 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
Post by Matt Tompkins
F. W. T. Attree (ed.), Notes of post mortem inquisitions taken in Sussex. 1 Henry VII to 1649 and after. Sussex Record Society, vol. 14. (1912)
It was in there and stated a will being made. Went back to TNA and bracketed the time frame. Sure enough the will populated this time around. In it he bequeaths to his eldest son Edward and youngest son Richard, and for default of issue, to the daughters of his brother Combe. I would assume this means Edward was the only male heir of Sir John Elrington. He also mentioned his brother-in-law Richard Shirley Esq. And thus in the Visitation of Sussex (HSP 53), it lists Beatrix Shirley as marrying Edward Elrington of Hoxton.
Did Margaret Echingham marry a 4th time?

46. John Elryngton, the elder, Robert Forster, and Robert Kyllyngham, and Margaret, his wife, widow of Thomas Combes, "gentilman." A messuage and garden in Tryllemylstrete, next Clerkenwell. Warranty against William, abbot of the church of the Blessed Mary and St. Modwenne, of Burton upon Trent. Anno 13.
Vance Mead
2017-05-11 04:39:03 UTC
Was Simon Elryngton of Hackney originally from Newcastle on Tyne? I am seeing quite a few cases where he is suing people from Northumberland. For example, there are these two entries in Common Pleas from 1458:

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no788/aCP40no788fronts/IMG_0775.htm
f 953, third entry:
John Basyngthawyte versus John Elryngton, of Newcastle on Tyne, esq; Robert Mitford, of Seton, Northumb, esq.

http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no788/aCP40no788fronts/IMG_0775.htm
f 775, last entry:
Simon Elryngton, of Hakeney, Middx, and Thomas Proktour, clerk, versus Alan Kar, of Newcastle on Tyne, merchant; and Joan Spence, widow, executrix of John Spence, of Newcastle on Tyne, merchant.
Vivienne Caldwell
2017-05-12 01:26:54 UTC
Post by Vance Mead
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no788/aCP40no788fronts/IMG_0775.htm
John Basyngthawyte versus John Elryngton, of Newcastle on Tyne, esq; Robert Mitford, of Seton, Northumb, esq.
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no788/aCP40no788fronts/IMG_0775.htm
Simon Elryngton, of Hakeney, Middx, and Thomas Proktour, clerk, versus Alan Kar, of Newcastle on Tyne, merchant; and Joan Spence, widow, executrix of John Spence, of Newcastle on Tyne, merchant.
There were certainly Elringtons in the north much earlier than Simon Elrington of Hackney and I would love to know how they connect. 'A History of Northumberland, in Three Parts: General history of the country' p. 371 mentions a number of them. https://archive.org/details/ahistorynorthum01tynegoog

Sir John Elrington through his first wife Maud Disney acquired Fosham manor in Aldbrough and other lands in 1467 which passed to their son Simon but this was later than your references.
See
http://www.medievalgenealogy.org.uk/fines/abstracts/CP_25_1_294_74.shtml#45
and

K J Allison, A P Baggs, T N Cooper, C Davidson-Cragoe and J Walker, 'Middle division: Aldbrough', in A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 7, Holderness Wapentake, Middle and North Divisions, ed. G H R Kent (London, 2002), pp. 5-27. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/yorks/east/vol7/pp5-27.
Vance Mead
2017-05-12 04:36:11 UTC
Vivienne,

Here are some earlier cases involving Elryngtons. There are three: Simon, John, and Robert. Simon is identified only as "of Middlesex" in these, but he is probably of Hackney, as in 1458. John is identified only as esquire, but could be the same as in in 1458, of Newcastle. And Robert is of Elryngton, Northumberland, esquire.

Simon Elryngton, of Middx, esquire or gentleman
1440 Easter
d 1596
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no717/bCP40no717dorses/IMG_1596.htm
London. Anne or Aune, Alexander, executor of; (Elryngton, Simon) versus Estfeld, William, of London, knight & former mayor. Debt.

1442 Hilary
f 679
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no724/aCP40no724fronts/IMG_0679.htm
Northumb. Elryngton, Simon, esq; Proctour, Thomas, clerk, versus Wales, John, of Newcastle on Tyne, merchant; Anbell or Aubell, John, of Newcastle on Tyne, merchant. Debt.

1448 Hilary
f 698
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no748/aCP40no748fronts/IMG_0698.htm
Middx. Elryngton, Simon versus Drayton, John, of Tottenham, gent. Debt.

1450 Trinity
d 728
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no758/bCP40no758dorses/IMG_0728.htm
Northumb. Elryngton, Simon, of Middx, gent; Prottour or Proctour, Thomas, chaplain, versus Stevenson, Hugh, of Alwentdale, yeoman; Cottysford, Alwentdale, yeoman; Stevenson, John, of Alwentdale, yeoman; Barker, Roger, of Hexham, tanner. Debt.

1453 Hilary
d 1335
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no768/bCP40no768dorses/IMG_1335.htm
Middx. Elryngton, Simon, gent versus Smallage, John, of Hakeney, husbandman; Wetwange, Robert, of Dunstan, Northumb, gent; Heron, John, of Forde, Notts, knight; Botell, John, of Greys Inn, Holburn St Andrew, gent; Warde, Thomas, clerk, executor of; (Durant, William, of London, notary). Debt.

John Elryngton, esquire
1440 Easter
d 1596
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no717/bCP40no717dorses/IMG_1596.htm
Middx. Elryngton, John, esq, on his own account, versus Hepehill, Richard, of Etton, Yorks, clerk; Briggefeld, Richard, of North Cave, Yorks, gent; Alverd, William, of Hakeney, Middx, husbandman; Girlyngton, Edmund, of Hakeney, husbandman. Debt.

Robert Elryngton, of Elryngton, Northumb, esquire
1448 Hilary
d 1741
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT1/H6/CP40no748/bCP40no748dorses/IMG_1741.htm
Northumb. Langley, Thomas, Bishop of Durham, executors of; (Alnwick, William, Bishop of Lincoln; Neville, Richard, Earl of Salisbury; Hulme, Nicholas, canon of Derlyngton; Strother, Robert, esq; Corston, Richard, chaplain) versus Wodryngton, Roger, of Wordryngton, esq; Elryngton, Robert, of Elryngton, esq; Bartram, John, of Bottale, knight. Debt.
Vivienne Caldwell
2017-05-17 08:14:59 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
[...]
Thank you Vance for all of these, there are some related names which are also of interest to me, eg Girlyngton.

I have also found some wills of Elringtons in Northumberland which are at a different social level.

Surtees Society. 1906. Wills and inventories from the registry of Durham. P. 3.
https://archive.org/stream/willsinvregdupt200surtuoft/willsinvregdupt200surtuoft_djvu.txt

This probably should be posted as a new thread, but the will of Simon Elryngton p. 61 of the above document is all about leaving 'olde angell/s". Althought I have been looking into the past for many years I have only recently jumped into the pre 17C period and do not know what is meant by this term. Any info welcomed.

Regards
Vivienne
Vance Mead
Vivienne
Brian Hessick
2017-05-17 18:07:37 UTC
Elrington:
The ending of the surname (considering for both "ing" and "ton") suggests a place name. The suffix 'ing' (or ling) means being from a place, i.e. Earthling; and ton meaning town. These account for places such as Reading, Woking, Hastings, Nottingham etc., and also Milton, Brighton, Boston, etc. Many places combine both suffixes as is seen in Wellington, Washington, Durrington, Babington, Farlington, etc.
A good explanation for place names in England can be heard on The History of English Podcast, Ep. 30 "The Celtic Legacy".

During this timeframe, I tend to think of England as three main tribes: Welsh, southern England (Anglo-Saxon), and northern England (Danelaw). Broadly speaking, these groups tend to marry with other families of their country.

There is a town in Yorkshire called Elvington, which is probably the etymology of the surname for this particular group of Elringtons. Also, note the marriages:

Robert Elrington married Kateryn Browne (a family from the north)
Their children:
Dorothy, married John Darnall, Baron of the Exchequer (a family from the north)
Elizabeth, married Bartholomew Jekyll of Newington, Middx. (a family from Lincolnshire)
Anne, married (1st) ... Vaughan and (2nd) William Lego of London (1. Welsh, 2. unknown)
Ursula, married Martin Massingberd (a family from Lincolnshire)
Margaret, married Augustin Massingberd (same family from Lincolnshire)
Vance Mead
Yvonne Purdy
2017-05-18 08:25:57 UTC
I would agree Vance. There is the small, ancient hamlet of Elrington, and Elrington Hall, about 4 miles west of Hexham, Northumberland, in the most beautiful, tranquil countryside setting. In fact, I'll be driving through it this afternoon.
Yvonne

Vance Mead
2017-05-18 15:25:55 UTC
Earlier still, Robert Elryngton was one of the jurors at a Inquisition Post Mortem held in June 1431 in the Castle at Newcastle upon Tyne.

http://www.inquisitionspostmortem.ac.uk/view/inquisition/23-471/477
Vance Mead
2017-05-18 16:20:09 UTC
Robert Elryngton appears 9 times in Inquisitions Post Mortem between 1419 and 1446. If these are all the same man, and the same person as in Common Pleas in 1448, them he would probably have been born between 1475 and 1495.

http://www.inquisitionspostmortem.ac.uk/quick-search/?q=elryngton&rq=elryngton&exact=false
Vivienne Caldwell
2017-05-12 00:51:02 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
Post by Brian Hessick
Post by Matt Tompkins
[...]
I have only ever found three marriages for Margaret Echingam, firstly to William Blount who died in the Battle of Barnet 1471, secondly Sir John Elrington and thirdly Thomas Combe.

The daughters of the Brother Combe are the daughters 'begotten of my sister Anne' (from my reading of the actual will). Anne Elrington was the wife of Edward Combe. I do not know the relationship between Thomas and Edward Combe.
Brian Hessick
2017-04-10 22:23:56 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
I am trying to place where Robert Elrington Esq. of Hackney and Hoxton, Middx., fits into the Elrington pedigree. He married Kateryn d/o William Browne alderman and (1507) mayor of London. Kateryn Elrington (née Browne) was deceased before October 1525, as stated in her brother's will (William Browne PROB 11/21/618).
More evidence that Simon Elrington of Hackney, Middx., had two sons named John (John Elrington, K.B., of Udimore, near Ryde, Sussex, and John Elrington of Hackney, Middx.).

In the will of Robert Bagworth of Southampton, Hants. (d. 1477), it is stated:
... in the keeping of John Elrington the elder, and Jane, his wife (my daughter)
... these witnesses, William Stanley vicar of Hackney above-named, Symond Elrington of Hackney gentleman...

There has been no evidence found that John Elrington the elder, had a son also named John; the elder could be in regards of differentiating him from his younger brother John.
Brian Hessick
2017-04-11 03:52:40 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
There has been no evidence found that John Elrington the elder, had a son also named John; the elder could be in regards of differentiating him from his younger brother John.
After relooking at the will of Sir John Elrington, found that it states:
... and for default of issue of them, then to remain to my brother John's children.
Vivienne Caldwell
2017-04-24 07:10:56 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
Post by Brian Hessick
There has been no evidence found that John Elrington the elder, had a son also named John; the elder could be in regards of differentiating him from his younger brother John.
... and for default of issue of them, then to remain to my brother John's children.
Hi Brian

Thank you for all the clues. I am working through them and trying to make sense of all of this. I had been puzzled by the reference to Sir John Elrington's will where he mentions his brother John. I know that there was Sir John Elrington and a John Elrington of Hackney who were contemporaries, mentioned in a number of documents, eg [questions marks are mine as I am not good with regnal dates...]

Edward IV
62. John Elryngton, treasurer of the household of the lord the king, John Elryngton of Hakeney, "gentilman," and Robert Forster, and William Holwey, and Clementia, his wife, daughter and heir of John Hill. Premises in Shordich. Anno 16. 1476/77?
3214. John Elryngton, Treasurer of the King's Household, John Elryngton of Hakeney, gentilman, and Robert Forster v. John Byllyngton and Agnes his wife; 16 acres in Northyham; to John Elryngton, the Treasurer, etc. (File 93. No. 14.) Anno 17. 1477/78?
'Sussex Fines: 16-22 Edward IV', in An Abstract of Feet of Fines For the County of Sussex: Vol. 3, 1308-1509, ed. L F Salzmann (Lewes, 1916), pp. 279-283. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/feet-of-fines-sussex/vol3/pp279-283

Could they have been brothers fathered by Simon from different mothers? Another reference to Simon Elrington that I had recently found gives a name to the wife of Simon that I had not previously seen:

Henry IV
70. Thomas Broun, Richard Welteden, Robert Danby, William Morton, chaplain, and Thomas Proktour, chaplain, and Simon Elryngton, and Agnes, his wife. Premises in Hakeney, which John Elryngton, and Elizabeth, his wife, and Margaret Proktour held. Anno 13. 1434/35?
'London and Middlesex Fines: Henry VI', in A Calendar To the Feet of Fines For London and Middlesex: Volume 1, Richard I - Richard III, ed. W J Hardy and W Page (London, 1892), pp. 182-202. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/feet-of-fines-london-middx/vol1/pp182-202

Do you know who Agnes was?

Will keep trawling and respond more promptly than I have with this message now that I have actually subbed to the group correctly:-)
Cheers
Vivienne
Brian Hessick
2017-04-24 18:41:56 UTC
Post by v***@gmail.com
Post by Brian Hessick
Post by Brian Hessick
There has been no evidence found that John Elrington the elder, had a son also named John; the elder could be in regards of differentiating him from his younger brother John.
... and for default of issue of them, then to remain to my brother John's children.
Hi Brian
Thank you for all the clues. I am working through them and trying to make sense of all of this. I had been puzzled by the reference to Sir John Elrington's will where he mentions his brother John. I know that there was Sir John Elrington and a John Elrington of Hackney who were contemporaries, mentioned in a number of documents, eg [questions marks are mine as I am not good with regnal dates...]
If you're in doubt, use this site:
http://people.albion.edu/imacinnes/calendar/Regnal_Years.html
Post by v***@gmail.com
Edward IV
62. John Elryngton, treasurer of the household of the lord the king, John Elryngton of Hakeney, "gentilman," and Robert Forster, and William Holwey, and Clementia, his wife, daughter and heir of John Hill. Premises in Shordich. Anno 16. 1476/77?
3214. John Elryngton, Treasurer of the King's Household, John Elryngton of Hakeney, gentilman, and Robert Forster v. John Byllyngton and Agnes his wife; 16 acres in Northyham; to John Elryngton, the Treasurer, etc. (File 93. No. 14.) Anno 17. 1477/78?
'Sussex Fines: 16-22 Edward IV', in An Abstract of Feet of Fines For the County of Sussex: Vol. 3, 1308-1509, ed. L F Salzmann (Lewes, 1916), pp. 279-283. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/feet-of-fines-sussex/vol3/pp279-283
They could have had the same parents.
Post by v***@gmail.com
Henry IV
70. Thomas Broun, Richard Welteden, Robert Danby, William Morton, chaplain, and Thomas Proktour, chaplain, and Simon Elryngton, and Agnes, his wife. Premises in Hakeney, which John Elryngton, and Elizabeth, his wife, and Margaret Proktour held. Anno 13. 1434/35?
'London and Middlesex Fines: Henry VI', in A Calendar To the Feet of Fines For London and Middlesex: Volume 1, Richard I - Richard III, ed. W J Hardy and W Page (London, 1892), pp. 182-202. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/feet-of-fines-london-middx/vol1/pp182-202
Do you know who Agnes was?
I haven't seen her name before.
Thanks for the references.
g***@yahoo.co.uk
2017-04-26 19:04:18 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
[...]
Later I noticed:
Post by Matt Tompkins
F. W. T. Attree (ed.), Notes of post mortem inquisitions taken in Sussex. 1 Henry VII to 1649 and after. Sussex Record Society, vol. 14. (1912)
It was in there and stated a will being made. Went back to TNA and bracketed the time frame. Sure enough the will populated this time around. In it he bequeaths to his eldest son Edward and youngest son Richard, and for default of issue, to the daughters of his brother Combe. I would assume this means Edward was the only male heir of Sir John Elrington. He also mentioned his brother-in-law Richard Shirley Esq. And thus in the Visitation of Sussex (HSP 53), it lists Beatrix Shirley as marrying Edward Elrington of Hoxton.

If Robert Elrington's brother in law was Richard Shirley then Robert was definitly the son of Sir John Elrington and Margaret Echingham as their son Edward Elrington married Beatrice Shirley whose brother was Sir Richard Shirley. I hope this helps with Robert's parents.

Gene Forbes-Hood
Brian Hessick
2017-04-26 22:55:22 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.co.uk
If Robert Elrington's brother in law was Richard Shirley then Robert was definitly the son of Sir John Elrington and Margaret Echingham as their son Edward Elrington married Beatrice Shirley whose brother was Sir Richard Shirley. I hope this helps with Robert's parents.
Gene Forbes-Hood
I think it is spelled out in the suits á Port v Elrington

Short title: á Port v Elryngton.
Plaintiffs: John, son of John a Port, deceased.
Defendants: John Elryngton, of London.

After the decease of John Elrington, case was brought against his wife and son:

Thus, Robert was the son and heir of John Elrington the elder, of Hackney, Middx., by his wife Johane d/o Robert Bagworth, late Lord Mayor of Southampton, Hants.
Vivienne Caldwell
2017-04-27 06:26:51 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
Post by g***@yahoo.co.uk
If Robert Elrington's brother in law was Richard Shirley then Robert was definitly the son of Sir John Elrington and Margaret Echingham as their son Edward Elrington married Beatrice Shirley whose brother was Sir Richard Shirley. I hope this helps with Robert's parents.
Gene Forbes-Hood
I think it is spelled out in the suits á Port v Elrington
Short title: á Port v Elryngton.
Plaintiffs: John, son of John a Port, deceased.
Defendants: John Elryngton, of London.
Short title: á Port v Elryngton.
Plaintiffs: John, son and heir of John Aport, late of New Sarum, merchant.
Defendants: Johanne and Robert, executors and late the wife and son of John Elryngton.
Thus, Robert was the son and heir of John Elrington the elder, of Hackney, Middx., by his wife Johane d/o Robert Bagworth, late Lord Mayor of Southampton, Hants.
I am so happy that Robert has parents now :-)and would just like to confirm the following. Do you think this is his father John:

Parish Church dedicated to St Augustine, Hackney.
Tombs recorded by Weever; and in Stow's Survey - John Elryngton, silazer of London, and keeper of the records of the Common Pleas (1504);
Daniel Lysons, 'Hackney', in The Environs of London: Volume 2, County of Middlesex (London, 1795), pp. 450-516. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/london-environs/vol2/pp450-516

And his mother Joan/Jane that I previously mentioned 1510?
Jhoone Elryngton, wedowe of Hakney, 1510. (Marginal note that it was not proved.)
'Appendices', in London Consistory Court Wills, 1492-1547, ed. Ida Darlington (London, 1967), pp. 151-157. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/london-record-soc/vol3/pp151-157

Also do you have any further information on Robert's sons John and Thomas. Apologies if you have already posted info and I have missed it.

I still have many unconnected Elringtons I would like to identify.

Cheers
Vivienne
Brian Hessick
2017-05-04 14:21:14 UTC
I just had a look at the will of "Jhoone Elyngton" of Hackney. It states:

- to be buried in St. Augustine in Hackney next to husband.
- marriage money for her daughter Isabel to be levied from plate and jewels
- items to son Richard Elrington
- items to daughter Margaret Coughurste
- execs to be Master Urswyke and Master Heron
Witnesses Sir Arthur Wode, vicar of Hackney, Sir James Leyson, Richard Dene, and John Skyll, 1510.

[no probate]

Given the date written (1510) and its content, I doubt this is Johane Elrington, th wife of John Elrington and mother of Robert.
Brian Hessick
2017-05-04 18:32:59 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
- to be buried in St. Augustine in Hackney next to husband.
- marriage money for her daughter Isabel to be levied from plate and jewels
- items to son Richard Elrington
- items to daughter Margaret Coughurste
- execs to be Master Urswyke and Master Heron
Witnesses Sir Arthur Wode, vicar of Hackney, Sir James Leyson, Richard Dene, and John Skyll, 1510.
[no probate]
Regarding "daughter Margaret Conghurst", there is a possible answer in the Kent Visitation of 1530 and/or 1574, which it appears I do not have access to either.

Margaret [Elrington] married (1st) Nicholas Chedworth Esq., of Hackney (d. 1501), and married (2nd) George Conghurst Esq., attorney in the Common Pleas, of Hawkhurst, Kent.

Had issue: 2 daughters, Barbara, married Richard Bishopp of Cranbrook, Kent; and Mildred, married (1st) Thomas Scott of Halden, Kent, and married (2nd) John Eston of Southwark, Surr.

PROB 11/12/273 (Nicholas Chedworth); C 1/459/6 Audley v Conghurst; C 1/1203/38-40 Bysshopp v Scott; Kent Vis. (HPS 42), p 91-2 (Scott pedigree); Hist. of Parl. 1558-1602, (Eston, John).
Vance Mead
2017-05-04 18:26:41 UTC
I suppose Simon Elryngton, of Hackney, gent, must be the father of John and the grandfather of Robert Elryngton, of Hackney?

This is from 1486:

Middx. Jury between John Elryngton, gentleman; and Richard Elryngton, of London, draper, executors of Simon Elryngton, of Hakeney, gentleman; and Richard Malpas, of London, stainer, for trespass.

First entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/H7/CP40no895/bCP40no895dorses/IMG_1058.htm
Brian Hessick
2017-05-04 18:47:20 UTC
Post by Vance Mead
I suppose Simon Elryngton, of Hackney, gent, must be the father of John and the grandfather of Robert Elryngton, of Hackney?
Middx. Jury between John Elryngton, gentleman; and Richard Elryngton, of London, draper, executors of Simon Elryngton, of Hakeney, gentleman; and Richard Malpas, of London, stainer, for trespass.
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/AALT3/H7/CP40no895/bCP40no895dorses/IMG_1058.htm
She wasn't the wife of Richard Elrington either.

The will of Richard Elrington of St. Mary Bothaw, London, written 3 April 1493, and proven 14 May 1493.

PROB 11/9/326

In Dei Nomine, Amen. The 3rd day of April, the year of our Lord 1493, and the 8th year of the reign of King Henry VII, I, Richard ELRINGTON citizen and draper of London, being whole of mind and in good memory, thanked be Almighty God, make and ordain this my present testament containing my last will in the manner and form following, that is to say, first and principally I bequeath and recommend my soul to Almighty God, my maker and savior, and to our Lady St. Mary the Virgin (his glorious mother), and to all the holy company of heaven; and my body to be buried in the church or churchyard in the parish of St. Mary Bothaw beside Candlewick Street of London, or elsewhere there as it please God to suffer me to decease in such place as my exec underwritten shall seem convenient. Item: I give and bequeath to the high alter of the said church for my tithes obligations and duties by me forgotten or negligently withholden in discharging of my soul, 3s 4p. Item: I bequeath to the works of the body of the said church to have my soul there remembered and prayed for, 26s 8p. Item: I bequeath to the Brotherhood of our Lady within the same church, 6s 8p. Item: I bequeath to Elizabeth ERYK, my wife’s daughter, my great goblet with a cover of silver gilt with scriptures and roses about the same to be delivered to her at such time as my said wife, her mother, shall seem convenient. Item: I bequeath to my well beloved cousin John ELRINGTON gentleman, dwelling in Hackney, for a poor remembrance, my plain cup called the Fonte Cup with a cover of silver gilt with a rose in the bottom, willing and requiring the said John ELRINGTON, if it please him so to do, to leave the same cup to his eldest son or next heir as for a poor token to remembrance. Item: I bequeath to Jane, my goddaughter, the daughter of the said John ELRINGTON, my hope of gold set with a sapphire and with a scripture and an Anthony Cross within the same to be delivered to her anon after my decease. The residue of all and singular my goods, debts, chattel (after my debts paid, my burying made, and this my present testament fulfilled), I give and bequeath wholly and clearly unto Elizabeth, my wife, she thereof to do and dispose [at] her own free will. And of this my present testament, I make and ordain the same Elizabeth my sole exex, praying her to do for me as she would I should do for her incase like. In witness whereof to this my present testament containing my last will I have put my seal the day and year above-specified.

The above-written testament was proven etc. at Lambeth the 14th day of May Anno Domini 1493, by the oaths of Thomas BLISSETT and John ELRINGTON in the testament etc., and administration was granted of all the goods etc. of Isabel [sic], relic and appointed exex in the same testament, to well etc., and a full inventory etc. before the next feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist etc., and also to render a plain and true account etc., sworn etc.