John Heart, son of David Heart and Jean Mowat, descendant of James V of Scotland
Add Reply
Jan Wolfe
2017-05-09 16:04:09 UTC
Document SC11/5/1644/11, held at the Orkney Archives, is the marriage agreement, dated 21 February 1644, for Margaret Heart, daughter of David Heart and Jean Mowat, and James Grahame. The NAS catalog description is here: http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/details.aspx?reference=SC11/5/1644/11
I recently ordered an image of this document from the Orkney Archives.

The contract specifies that James Grahame's part of the agreement is to be done by the "advyse of the said Dauid Heart if he sall be on lyff And failyeing of him throw deceas be the advyse of the said [William] Heart his eldest sone and of Mr John Heart Minister his secund sone or ather of thame."

With this evidence, I think that we can now confidently identify the parents of John Heart as David Heart and Jean Mowat. Jean's mother, Christian Stewart, was a daughter of Earl Robert Stewart of Orkney, and Robert was a son of King James V of Scotland by Euphame Elphinstone.

John Heart, who received his M.A. at St. Andrews in May, 1637, was ordained at Crail on March 22, 1643.

Agnes Heart, daughter of John Heart and Agnes Baxter, married Robert Craighead. Their children include colonial immigrants Thomas Craighead, husband of Margaret Wallace, and Katherine Craighead, wife of William Homes. Thomas and William were both Presbyterian ministers. Thomas and Margaret lived in Freetown, Bristol County, Massachusetts, and then in Pennsylvania. Katherine and William lived in Chilmark, Dukes County, Massachusetts (on Martha's Vineyard) where William was the minister from the fall of 1715 until his death in 1746.

For some of the previous discussion of this topic, see
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/gen-medieval/2012-05/1337017240 https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc.genealogy.medieval/fRZWTSsZitE/CpyCm3FfVCMJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc.genealogy.medieval/q6Q3xHo0oWg/Zpc5IaplG1YJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc.genealogy.medieval/qPH0BlVAXEs/SdFFkZMwCwAJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/soc.genealogy.medieval/qPH0BlVAXEs/gsh20rtICwAJ
Kelsey Jackson Williams

Jan Wolfe

r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-10 01:06:19 UTC
Rev. William and Katherine Craighead Homes of Martha's Vineyard had a quite numerous progeny, with at least the following descendants (or spouses) covered in entries in the _Dictionary of American Biography_.

Henry Augustus Homes
Arthur Tappan
Benjamin Tappan
Eli Todd Tappan
John Henry Wright
Lewis Tappan
Henry Chandler Bowen
David Tappan Stoddard
Rufus Wilmot Griswold (the "frenemy" and literary executor of E.A. Poe)
William McCrillis Griswold

Additionally, I think the wife of Henry Varnum Poor, of the family behind Standard & Poors, was a descendant.
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
2017-05-10 16:54:36 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Rev. William and Katherine Craighead Homes of Martha's Vineyard had a
quite numerous progeny, with at least the following descendants (or
spouses) covered in entries in the _Dictionary of American Biography_.
Henry Augustus Homes
Arthur Tappan
Benjamin Tappan
Eli Todd Tappan
John Henry Wright
Lewis Tappan
Henry Chandler Bowen
David Tappan Stoddard
Rufus Wilmot Griswold (the "frenemy" and literary executor of E.A. Poe)
William McCrillis Griswold
Also Austin Tappan Wright (1883-1931), author of the
posthumously-published quasi-utopian novel ISLANDIA; son of John Henry
Wright and maternal grandson of Eli Todd Tappan.
--
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
***@panix.com
nielsenhayden.com/genealogy-tng
Jan Wolfe
2017-05-10 19:16:28 UTC
Rev. William and Katherine Craighead Homes of Martha's Vineyard had a quite numerous progeny ...
Another descendant of William and Katherine was Berkeley poet and professor Josephine Miles.
Douglas Richardson
2017-05-10 20:51:22 UTC
Dear Jan, John, and Kelsey -

Your research collaboration has been most impressive. Kudos to all of you for your collegial approach to problem solving the Heart-Mowat ancestral line. Way to go!

Jan Wolfe
2017-05-11 05:20:02 UTC
Post by Douglas Richardson
Dear Jan, John, and Kelsey -
Your research collaboration has been most impressive. Kudos to all of you for your collegial approach to problem solving the Heart-Mowat ancestral line. Way to go!
Thanks, Douglas, and thank you for the sources you identified and suggested to us and for your discussion about and encouragement of this research. Now that I am convinced about the identity of John Heart's parents, I expect to turn some attention to your suggestions about the Elphinstone family and details of the life of Earl Robert that may identify Christian's mother.

Fundamental to this whole project was John Brandon's initial insight that John Heart may have been a son of David Heart and Jean Mowat, his finding the 1638 charter signed by David Heart and his sons William Heart and Mr. John Heart, his identification of many other documents relevant to this family (including the existence of a marriage agreement for Margaret), and his noticing the Mather letter that suggests that John Heart had a son named David.
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-15 19:45:28 UTC
The descendants of Rev. Thomas Craighead and Margaret Wallace include numerous Presbyterian ministers, the author Jean Craighead George, and Dr. Annie Alexander of Charlotte, NC, supposedly the first woman with an M.D. to practice in the South.

http://northcarolinahistory.org/encyclopedia/annie-lowrie-alexander-1864-1929/
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-22 17:42:59 UTC
Other descendants of Rev. and Mrs. Homes are business historian Alfred D. Chandler of Harvard, and unitarian minister and "Transcendentalist" Frederic Henry Hedge ...

http://www.vectorstudy.com/management-gurus/alfred-chandler

https://books.google.com/books?id=u_gkAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA34&lpg=PA34&dq=%22henry+poor+chandler%22&source=bl&ots=1INxqmuvxV&sig=M-l67JwhbcUeB1pkluNLGvJCKSk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj37-7zhYTUAhUBaCYKHT9JBfcQ6AEIMTAC#v=onepage&q=%22henry%20poor%20chandler%22&f=false

http://oasis.lib.harvard.edu/oasis/deliver/~sch00100
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-22 22:23:11 UTC
Also ... architect Theophilus P. Chandler, educator and missionary George Washburn, and Major General Lewis Tappan Barney.

https://books.google.com/books?id=tt4DAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA492&dq=philander+washburn+homes&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJxaqawITUAhXHOCYKHT6HBL8Q6AEIQjAF#v=onepage&q=philander%20washburn%20homes&f=false
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-23 13:14:51 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Also ... architect Theophilus P. Chandler, educator and missionary George Washburn, and Major General Lewis Tappan Barney.
https://books.google.com/books?id=tt4DAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA492&dq=philander+washburn+homes&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjJxaqawITUAhXHOCYKHT6HBL8Q6AEIQjAF#v=onepage&q=philander%20washburn%20homes&f=false
I believe the architect was an uncle of the Theophilus P. Chandler who had the Homes descent, so this is wrong.

However, I believe one could add the California painters Isabella Homes (Bigelow) Kittredge and Daisy C. Kittredge.

http://www.askart.com/artist/Isabella_Holmes_Kittredge/11004817/Isabella_Holmes_Kittredge.aspx

http://www.askart.com/artist/Daisy_C_Kittredge/11004816/Daisy_C_Kittredge.aspx

https://books.google.com/books?id=lcEKiggzDaEC&pg=PA285&dq=asahel+bigelow+dorcas+homes&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjbnqSQiobUAhVLhlQKHbbbCgcQ6AEIMjAC#v=onepage&q=asahel%20bigelow%20dorcas%20homes&f=false

Also, very probably, the San Francisco newspaperman Henry D. Bigelow, associate of Ambrose Bierce and Hearst.
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-23 15:19:58 UTC
Gilbert Stuart's portrait of Mrs. Benjamin Tappan, a Homes descendant, and the ancestress of most of the Tappan line of descendants:

https://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/Collection/art-object-page.52388.html
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-23 19:14:29 UTC
Possibly also the writer Thornton Wilder ...

https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Tappan-Descendants-138
Jan Wolfe
2017-05-23 21:43:01 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Possibly also the writer Thornton Wilder ...
https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/Tappan-Descendants-138
Here is a presentation of the role Rachel Craighead Caldwell played in the American Revolutionary War:
https://books.google.com/books?id=LUoZUs4xg78C&pg=PA151

Rachel was a daughter of minister Alexander Craighead and granddaughter of Thomas and Margaret (Wallace) Craighead. Rachel was the grandmother of the female physician John mentioned earlier in this thread. For a biography of Rachel's father Alexander Craighead, see
http://www.ncpedia.org/biography/craighead-alexander
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-24 16:53:27 UTC
The Craigheads have seemingly always been considered very respectable people in North Carolina and Tennessee. I notice that the father of Vice President John C. Calhoun married a Craighead daughter as his first wife (who was not the mother of John C., however).
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-25 15:00:58 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
The Craigheads have seemingly always been considered very respectable people in North Carolina and Tennessee. I notice that the father of Vice President John C. Calhoun married a Craighead daughter as his first wife (who was not the mother of John C., however).
This book is telling me the Calhouns were "backcountry 'elite'" ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=eq5oAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA648-IA2&dq=%22patrick+calhoun%22+craighead&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7p-2bp4vUAhXKSSYKHYPdAn0Q6AEIMTAC#v=onepage&q=%22patrick%20calhoun%22%20craighead&f=false
Patrick Nielsen Hayden
2017-05-26 22:44:52 UTC
I mentioned earlier that among the descendants of John Heart was Austin
Tappan Wright, author of ISLANDIA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_Tappan_Wright

I should also note one of Austin Tappan Wright's daughters, the
journalist Sylvia Wright (1917-1981), who in a 1954 article in Harper's:

http://www.drapersguild.com/uploads/1/2/8/5/12854632/harpersmagazine-1954-11-0006768.pdf

-- coined the word "mondegreen":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

Sylvia Wright was the aunt, and Austin Tappan Wright was the
grandfather, of my colleague and friend Tappan Wright King:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tappan_Wright_King
r***@yahoo.com
2017-05-27 17:48:45 UTC
Interesting.

Another Tappan-Homes descendant was the wife of American naturalist / entomologist / horticulturist Theodore Luqueer Mead. Her own father was the well known lepidopterist William Henry Edwards.
r***@yahoo.com
2017-06-12 16:31:27 UTC
Jan mentioned possibly finding more on the Downie, Raa, and Baxter ancestry of Agnes Baxter, wife of Mr. John Heart, minister.

Another possibly fruitful avenue of research might be to seek the ancestry of David Heart, the father of Mr. John.

I suspect he is the "David Heart" listed in 1597 among the servants of Mr. William Hairt/ Heart of Leviland.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=msu.31293024812277;view=1up;seq=429

Mr. William was also called "of Preston" or "Prestoun":

"Maister William Hairt of Prestoun" was one of the Justice-deputes in Scotland, and presided under that designation at [the plotter] Sprot's [1608] trial. He appears to have been knighted very soon after the trial, and the reason can scarcely be doubted. This respectable functionary drew up an official account of the culprit's examinations, confessions, and execution, which was prefaced by a long and abject sermon in favour of the king, by Dr George Abbot, dean of Winchester, soon afterwards made Primate of England. This _ex parte_ account of the matter, so important for his majesty, the courtly dean immediately published ...

https://books.google.com/books?id=ckgMAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA283&dq=%22william+hairt%22+depute&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiy4OCN2rjUAhVESiYKHbmcCp4Q6AEIUjAI#v=onepage&q=%22william%20hairt%22%20depute&f=false

David Heart, the servant in 1597, may have been a nephew or other agnate kinsman of Sir William Heart/ Hairt. A few years later, around 1600, David apparently transferred into the service of the Elphinstone family.
r***@yahoo.com
2017-06-13 16:14:39 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
[...]
By 1612, David Hart had apparently moved on to the service of the Elphinstones' kinsman, Patrick Stewart, Earl of Orkney:

"Complaint by Sir Thomas Hammiltoun of Byris for his Majesty's interest, as follows:---Albeit the King discharged Patrik, Earl of Orknay, his deputes and clerks, of all using of the office of sheriffship and justiciary within the bounds of Orknay and Zetland, as the proclamation published at the market cross of Kirkwall shows, yet Thomas Levingstoun of Pantone, sometime depute to the said Earl, and David Hairt, his clerk, 'being loath to foirgo the commoditie and gayne quhilk undir the pretext and cullour of justice, and by manifest oppressioun of the distressit people within the saidis boundis, thay did yeirlie acquire be the saidis officeis,' still 'usurp upoun thame the administratioun of the saidis officeis within the boundis foirsaidis ...'"

https://books.google.com/books?id=Bqv6VEeeEnkC&pg=PA365&dq=%22thomas+Levingstoun+of+Pantone%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiU18b5mbvUAhVDOCYKHUtdAy8Q6AEIKjAA#v=onepage&q=%22thomas%20Levingstoun%20of%20Pantone%22&f=false

So apparently David Heart was the clerk either of Patrick's deputy Livingston, or of Patrick Stewart himself.
r***@yahoo.com
2017-06-15 17:03:02 UTC
Hart, Sir William, of Livielands,
died before 1619, mar. (1) Margaret Cairncross, widow of John Hamilton of Chapel; (2) Isobel, daughter of John, 6th Lord Borthwick and relict of Thomas Davidson, burgess of Edinburgh. Lord Advocate 1594-7.

https://books.google.com/books?id=x01mAAAAMAAJ&q=%22Hamilton+of+Chapel%22+%22isobel+daughter%22&dq=%22Hamilton+of+Chapel%22+%22isobel+daughter%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi18tP7qMDUAhWD6SYKHRorCQAQ6AEIJjAB

However, I thought I had seen Margaret Cairncross as a widow in the 1620s in proceedings against Mr. John Hart/ Hairt, called her son.
r***@yahoo.com
2017-06-15 17:55:03 UTC
Post by r***@yahoo.com
Hart, Sir William, of Livielands,
died before 1619, mar. (1) Margaret Cairncross, widow of John Hamilton of Chapel; (2) Isobel, daughter of John, 6th Lord Borthwick and relict of Thomas Davidson, burgess of Edinburgh. Lord Advocate 1594-7.
https://books.google.com/books?id=x01mAAAAMAAJ&q=%22Hamilton+of+Chapel%22+%22isobel+daughter%22&dq=%22Hamilton+of+Chapel%22+%22isobel+daughter%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi18tP7qMDUAhWD6SYKHRorCQAQ6AEIJjAB
However, I thought I had seen Margaret Cairncross as a widow in the 1620s in proceedings against Mr. John Hart/ Hairt, called her son.
Mr. William Hart, the brother-in-law of Lord Borthwick, was living 1567-81.

https://books.google.com/books?id=aA0XAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA115&dq=%22william+hart%22+borthwick&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja1prWtMDUAhWMMSYKHYR_DlsQ6AEIIjAA#v=onepage&q=%22william%20hart%22%20borthwick&f=false

Mr. William Hairt, the justice, had a wife called "Margaret Carnecors" in 1598:

https://books.google.com/books?id=T9NAAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA81&dq=hairt+carnecors&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjPwObJscDUAhVE0iYKHT96D5EQ6AEIOjAD#v=onepage&q=hairt%20carnecors&f=false

Therefore, the order of the marriages of William Hart/ Hairt must be backwards (if they are in fact the same person).
r***@yahoo.com
2017-06-15 17:59:30 UTC
Apparently they were the same person:

"William Lord Borthwick, deceased in 1600, owed Mr William Hart, Lord Advocate from 1594 to 1597, 10,000 merks by contract signed in 1581."

https://books.google.com/books?id=ItxKAQAAIAAJ&q=%22William+Lord+Borthwick,+deceased+in+1600,+owed+Mr+William+Hart,+Lord+Advocate+from+1594+to+1597,+10,000+merks+by+contract+signed+in+1581.%22&dq=%22William+Lord+Borthwick,+deceased+in+1600,+owed+Mr+William+Hart,+Lord+Advocate+from+1594+to+1597,+10,000+merks+by+contract+signed+in+1581.%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG0-XWtsDUAhWF1CYKHWA4BvoQ6AEIKDAA