2018-05-13 04:09:14 UTC
In RD 600 and RD 900, Gary Boyd Roberts outlines a royal descent for Rev. Nathaniel Brewster’s first wife, a daughter of John Reymes Esq., of Edgefield, Norfolk.(1) Henry B. Hoff, FASG, had published another royal descent for Rev. Nathaniel Brewster's wife back in 2004.(2) Rev. Nathaniel Brewster’s English baptism had never been located. This week I discovered it in a transcript of the parish register of Bristol St Mary le Port.
Rev. Nathaniel Brewster (d. 1690) lived a most interesting life. He graduated from Harvard’s first class of 1642.(3) He lived in three English counties: Bristol, Suffolk, and Norfolk; in Dublin, Ireland; and in what would become three American colonies: Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York. In detailed studies by Jacobus and Seversmith, they documented Nathaniel’s parents as Francis and Lucy (Jones) Brewster of Bristol, England and New Haven, Connecticut. They determined Francis and Lucy had married at Christ Church in Bristol on 5 September 1624, but were unable to locate Nathaniel’s baptism.(4) This missing baptism has now been discovered in the parish register of adjacent St Mary le Port Church in Bristol, according to a transcript: 14 August 1625, “Nathaniell Bruston son of Frances B.” was baptized.(5)
The day and month of Harvard’s first commencement in 1642 is now unknown, but Sibley thought it probably took place in October.(6) Nathaniel would have been 17 years old in October 1642.
I plan to research the family of John Reymes, Esq. to try to determine the given name of his daughter who married Rev. Nathaniel Brewster.
(1) RD600 (2008): 285, 344; RD900 (2018): 503, 539.
(2) Henry B. Hoff, ‘The Royal Ancestry of Abigail (Brewster) Burr,’ Connecticut Ancestry 47 (2004):103-106.
(3) John Langdon Sibley, Biographical Sketches of Graduates of Harvard University (Cambridge, 1873), 1:68–73.
(4) Donald Lines Jacobus, “The Family of Rev. Nathaniel Brewster,” The American Genealogist 12 (1935):199–210; 13 (1936):8–21, 113–116, 154–163, 221–233; 14 (1937):105–109; Hubert Furman Seversmith, Colonial Families of Long Island, New York and Connecticut Being the Ancestry & Kindred of Herbert Furman Seversmith, 5 vols. (Washington, D.C., 1939–1958), 1:357–364, 389–401.
(5) F.S. Hockaday, Bristol St Mary le Port parish register transcripts in Abstracts of Ecclesiastical Records Relating to the Dioceses of Worcester and Gloucester, Vol. 442:; FHL Film 423357, images, FamilySearch, https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSNV-VSNC-X?cat=281654 . St Mary le Port's original parish registers have never been photographed by FamilySearch, nor made available online. Hockaday may have simply misread this entry, but the original parish register would need to be checked to know for certain.
(6) John Langdon Sibley, Biographical Sketches of Graduates of Harvard University (Cambridge, 1873), 1:15.