Hamon de Valoines
Patricia A. Junkin
2017-05-25 20:10:13 UTC
I have been trying to determine the descent of the Hamons. Several sources say that Hamon the Sheriff held Titsey (John Morris-Domesday Book), while others state that it was Hamon Valoines, also called the Sheriff who held Titsey. Did is devolve to the Valoines? 1229: Hamonem de Valeines de tenement in Tychesey
Thank you for your thoughts.
Pat
Peter Stewart
2017-05-25 22:52:40 UTC
Post by Patricia A. Junkin
I have been trying to determine the descent of the Hamons. Several sources say that Hamon the Sheriff held Titsey (John Morris-Domesday Book), while others state that it was Hamon Valoines, also called the Sheriff who held Titsey. Did is devolve to the Valoines? 1229: Hamonem de Valeines de tenement in Tychesey
What source do you find identifying Haimo the sheriff with a "Hamon
Valoines"?

Haimo the sheriff of Kent, more usually called Haimo dapifer, belonged
to a different family, not the Norman Valoines or the Breton Valeines -
his father was the rebel Haimo dentatus, seigneur of Creully &
Torigny-sur-Vire.

Peter Stewart
Patricia A. Junkin
2017-05-26 01:01:45 UTC
The reference to Hamo Valoines and Titsey comes from Calendar of Patent Rolls. Henry III (1225-1232), Vol. 2, HMSO. P. 281
Pat
2017-05-26 02:28:09 UTC
Post by Patricia A. Junkin
The reference to Hamo Valoines and Titsey comes from Calendar of Patent Rolls. Henry III (1225-1232), Vol. 2, HMSO. P. 281
My question was: What source do you find identifying Haimo the sheriff
with a "Hamon Valoines"?

The patent roll reference you have given does not address this - it is
clearly to Hamo de Valeines in 1229, not to Haimo the sheriff in the
11th century, and not to Valoines for that matter.

Peter Stewart
Patricia A. Junkin
2017-05-26 04:23:51 UTC
The reference to Hamo Valoines as sheriff is from Brayley’s History of Surrey. Hamon Dapifer (the Sheriff) held Titsey in Tanbridge Hundred in 1086. Valoines appears to have acquired knights fees there by the 13thc. I was just cross checking since I had not thought both were called Sheriff.
Pat
2017-05-26 06:14:21 UTC
The reference to Hamo Valoines as sheriff is from Brayley’s _History
of Surrey_. Hamon Dapifer (the Sheriff) held Titsey in Tanbridge
Hundred in 1086. Valoines appears to have acquired knights fees there
by the 13thc. I was just cross checking since I had not thought both
were called Sheriff.
Brayley was wrong - Hamo the sheriff in Domesday book was son of Hamo
dentatus of Creully & Torigny. He was not the same as Hamo de Valeines,
a Breton, who also occurs in 1086, and the latter's surname was not the
same as the Norman Valoines - see Keats-Rohan, *Domesday People* pp.
242-243: 'Domesday Book carefully distinguishes the orthography of
Hamo's toponym from that of Peter de Valognes. Despite the subsequent
approximation of the orthography of his descendants' name to that of de
Valognes, there should be no grounds for confusion between two distinct
places.'

Peter Stewart
Patricia Junkin
2017-05-26 14:24:06 UTC