Gyles/Giles co: Kent
Add Reply
d***@gmail.com
2018-01-17 03:50:30 UTC
Did the surname Gyles/Giles originate in Scandinavia? A John Gyles/Giles was of Biddenden, co: Kent, England. His dau. Agnes m. Robert Whitfield, b. abt. 1453 as second wife. It seems as if John Gyles/Giles had arms: per pale az. and gu. a griffin passant or. See: A Complete Body of Heraldry, Volume 2, by Joseph Edmondson, and is listed under "Giles" for Gyles [Kent]. Robert and Agnes (Giles) Whitfield had a son, John, b. abt. 1520 who used those arms. In: An Index to the Arms in the Visitations of Kent, 1574-A, p. 76 (I am not able to access online Visitation of Kent at this time; so, I assume the reference detail is correct) a Giles used these arms: per pale azure and gules, a griffin pass. with wings displayed or. John Whitfield's arms were described: per pale azure and gules, a griffin segreant or - Gyles. I assume this is in one of the Visitations of Kent. Are all of these described arms from John Gyles/Giles? Are there any references that confirm John Gyles/Giles was the one who received firstly these arms and why? Was he a landholder, knight or broadcloth businessman?? Thank You for taking time and favoring me with interest.
Duane Jones
Emporia, KS
r***@hotmail.com
2018-07-10 20:09:58 UTC
Hi. My ancestors where Giles of Kent.
And my DNA result puts me 53% Scandinavian.
I'd presumed it was from the viking invasions.
Jacqui
d***@gmail.com
2018-07-11 00:10:07 UTC
Interesting!! Thanks for the response!! A few weeks ago, my DNA circle or pie graph changed in Ancestry. It did include 25% Scandinavian when I first had my DNA tested a few years ago. Now, I have no Scandinavian DNA. I don't know what's next? Russian, and then no Russian?
Duane
Andrew Lancaster
Any test which tries to estimate your ethnic ancestry this way will be autosomal, and such tests are not specific to the male line, nor able to unravel specific lines of ancestry more than about 200 years old (unless you are also triangulating with ancient DNA dug up from tombs etc).
Andrew Lancaster
2018-07-11 09:13:55 UTC
Post by d***@gmail.com
[...]
Giles as a first name was a common western European short form of Aegidius, which was the name of a saint. Giles as a family name, according for example to Oxford's dictionary of surnames (Reaney and Wilson, reasonable as a starting point for discussions at least) is normally derived from this first name and probably sometimes from Giselbert (Gilbert) which was also a common first name (because of its use among the Frankish aristocracy). Nothing Scandinavian in either of these two names, but then again Scandinavians were free to use Mediterranean or Frankish names just like everyone else was doing.

However, what would be the reason for proposing a Scandinavian origin to this family in Kent? If you are thinking of pre 1066 Scandinavians then remember that this was centuries earlier than the generations you are talking about and even before the common use of heraldry or surnames.