Howard family of Massachusetts & New York
Darrel Hockley
2017-08-01 19:32:44 UTC
I am a descendant of Edward Howard (1616 to ca 1688) of Boston, MA and his (I believe his second wife) Esther (maiden name unknown). Edward was baptised on 18 April 1616 at Saint Margaret, Westminster, London, England, the son of an Edward. In England he received some education in the Law because in Boston, MA he worked as an scrivener. By 1680 his wife Esther was probably dead, because on 18 May of that year he was hired as the schoolmaster for the town of Rehoboth, MA.  About 1688 he died either at Rehoboth or at Little Compton, MA (now part of Rhode Island); in the latter place on 26 December 1688 his son Matthew was able to purchase a farm for £24 (maybe with inheritance money?) . Edward's and Esther's son:
Matthew Howard (1661 to 1728) married Mary Case (1662 to 1714). Their son:
William Howard (1691 to 1790) married Mary Parker (1697 to 1738) (first wife). Their son:
Zephaniah Howard (1731 to 1813) married Lydia Valeria Woolley (1737 to 1813). Their son:
Pontius Howard (1762 to 1853) married Sarah (maiden name unknown but may have been Chauncey or Clark - the Howards sometimes named their children using surnames of related families as first names) (1759 to 1851). Their son:
Chauncey Howard (1787 to 1878) married Mary Briggs (1794 to 1877). Their son:
Marcus Lafayette Howard (1829 to 1884) married Tabitha Jane Phillips (1837 to 1905). Their daughter:
Amber Minerva Howard (1875 to 1957) married Lewis Samuel Long (1864 to 1947). Their daughter:
Mabel Catherine Long (1903 to 1954) married Arthur Ray Bladon (1899 to 1967). Their daughter:
Audrey Jean Bladon (1936 to 2017) married Ronald Dale Hockley (1939 to 2010). Their son:
Darrel David Hockley (born 1956).
I was given control of the Kit No. 67006 of Dr. Leonard Rice Howard (born 1933) by his wife Mrs. Marilyn J. Funk Howard as Dr. Howard is now senile. He is descended from William Howard (1691 to 1790) as above and his second wife Mary Tallman (1696 to 1769). Their son:
Matthew Howard, UE (1740 to 1824) married Anna (maiden name unknown). Their son:
Peter Howard, UE (1772 to 1843) married Sarah Munsall (1775 to 1831). Their son:
Alpheus Ruggles Howard, UE (1804 to 1879) married Theodotta Soper. Their son:
Napoleon Boneparte Howard, UE (1837 to 1912) married Harriet Maria DeLong. Their son:
Hilliard Howard, UE (1874 to 1944) married Bertha Estelle Phelps. Their son:
Wilkie Leonard Howard, UE (1901 to 1979) married Carolyn Cornegunda Rice. Their son:
The Rev'd Dr. Leonard Rice Howard, UE, MD (born 1933) married Marilyn JoAnne Funk (born 1934). Dr. Howard was ordered an Anglican deacon in 1993 for the Diocese of Hawaii.
The haplogroup for Dr. Howard is G-Z6748. When Edward Howard, our earliest New World ancestor settled in Boston in about 1642, there were other Howard men with the same G haplogroup settling in other parts of Massachusetts in the same time frame. The descendants of these men, along with my Howards, believe they are descended from the Howard family that is headed by the Duke of Norfolk, but none of us have a paper trail to prove same.
Anyone with knowledge of the various branches of Massachusetts 17th Century Howards have any thoughts?

Darrel Hockley
Regina, SK, Canada
wjhonson
2017-08-02 17:35:03 UTC
Post by Darrel Hockley
Darrel David Hockley (born 1956).
The Rev'd Dr. Leonard Rice Howard, UE, MD (born 1933) married Marilyn JoAnne Funk (born 1934). Dr. Howard was ordered an Anglican deacon in 1993 for the Diocese of Hawaii.
The haplogroup for Dr. Howard is G-Z6748. When Edward Howard, our earliest New World ancestor settled in Boston in about 1642, there were other Howard men with the same G haplogroup settling in other parts of Massachusetts in the same time frame. The descendants of these men, along with my Howards, believe they are descended from the Howard family that is headed by the Duke of Norfolk, but none of us have a paper trail to prove same.
Anyone with knowledge of the various branches of Massachusetts 17th Century Howards have any thoughts?
Darrel Hockley
Regina, SK, Canada
I think what you mean to say is that alleged male-line descendants of various other Howard families exhibit the same haplogroup

You cannot know what the haplogroup is for the settlers.

However the idea that you belong to the noble Howard family is extremely remote.