2013-04-18 20:37:23 UTC
I am submitting the following line of descent to the forum for help in
confirming or refuting the following line of descent from William the
Conqueror to Susanna Reeve, who immigrated to Virginia and married Gillee
Gromarrin. Gillee Gromarrin was a major land holder in Henrico County,
Virginia. Gillee’s will is dated 16 Oct 1716, and probated 5 Nov 1716.
Thank you for your assistance,
Jane A. "Xan" Alexander
Line of Descent from William the Conqueror to Eleanor Pabenham to Susanna
1) William the Conqueror (abt 1028 – 9 Sept 1087) and wife Matilda of
Flanders (abt 1031 – 2 Nov 1083)
2) King Henry I of England (abt 1068 – 1 Dec 1135) and mistress
3) Robert FitzRoy, Earl of Gloucester (d. 31 Oct 1147) & wife Mabel,
Countess of Gloucester (1090 – 29 Sept 1157)
4) Maud FitzRobert (d. 29 July 1189) & Ranulf de Gernon, Earl of Chester (
1099 – 1153)
5) Hugh de Kevelioc, Earl of Chester ( 1147 – 30 Jun 1181) and first wife
6) Amice / Amicia of Chester and husband Ralph de Mainwaring
7) Bertrad de Mainwaring and husband Henry de Audley (d. bef Nov 1246)
8) Alice de Audley and husband Peter / Piers de Montfort (d. 4 Aug 1265)
9) Piers / Peter II de Montfort and wife Matilda de la Mare
10) Elizabeth de Montfort and husband William de Montagu / Monte Acuto /
11) Alice Montacute and husband Ralph Daubeney
12) Giles Daubeney and wife Eleanor de Wylyngton / Welyton / Wyllington
13) Joan Daubeneye / Dawbeny and her husband Lawrence Pabenham, knight (d.
14) Eleanor Pabenham and husband John Teringham / Tyringham
15) John Teringham & daughter of Sir Geoffrey Lucy (from Visitation of
16) younger son Teringham & daughter of Sir William Chamberleyn (from
Visitation of Suffolk)
17) Teringham & daughter of Bardwell (from Visitation of Suffolk)
18) Mary Teringham and husband John Heigham (from Visitation of Suffolk –
19) Elizabeth Heigham and husband Thomas Armiger (from Visitation of
Suffolk – Heigham family & Armiger family)
20) Thomas Armiger & wife Jane Eyre (from Visitation of Suffolk – Armiger
21) Rose / Rhose Armiger & husband William Reve, gent. (from Visitation of
Essex – Reve family)
There may be one more Thomas Armiger generation between gen 20 & 21
22) Robert Reve, parson of Wrestlingworth
23) Robert Reve of Romford
24) John Reeve
25) Susanna Reeve immigrated to Virginia along with brother Francis Reeve.
She married Gillee Gromarrin. She is listed in her father John Reeve’s
will and in her brother Wiltshire Reeve’s will.
*Supporting Evidence: *
The will of “John Reeve of the parish of havering Lee Bower in the Countie
of Essex Gentleman” is dated 7 Nov 1693. In his will, he lists the
following children: Wiltshier, Francis, Susana, Ann, and Letitia.
(Susanna’s brother) Wiltshire Reeve’s will is published in The New York
Genealogical and Biographical Record, Volume 43, pages 69-70. The will of
“Wiltshire Reeve the elder, of Hubbard’s Hall in the parish of Harlow, co.
Essex, gent.” is dated 13 Sept 1704, proved 1 Dec 1707, and includes “also
I doe give and devise all my plantations, lands, tenements, etc. at or neer
James River or elsewhere in Virginia in the parts beyond the seas, unto my
sister Susan, now Susan Mareen, now or late residing in Virginia, and to
her heirs for ever.” Wiltshire also lists his sisters Letitia Wickstead
and Anne Spademan.
From Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy,Volume 6 Number 4, page 221:
"*1 Aug 1698 Francis Reeve (II) signs a pledge to give an annuity of 10
pounds for every year after 1703 during the life of Susannah Marrin, which
was give to her by her decd father, John Reeve, and to pay 90 pounds to
her on Oct 31 1703; if she dies before 1703, Gilly Grooma Marrin will
release him from payment. (footnote: Weisiger, Henrico Deeds, (1):104."
From the Visitation of Essex – Reve family: John Reeve’s great uncleFrancis Reve owned Hubbard Hall, thus tieing Susana’s brother Wiltshire
Reve to the Reve family given in the Visitation.
Visitation of Essex – Reve family
Visitation of Suffolk
Visitation of Suffolk part 2
- Heigham Pedigree, including Teringham back to Pabenham, also lists
Elizabeth, daughter of John Heigham & Mary Teringham, married to Thomas