Is Berenger of Pewsey the same as "Benger" of Pewsey?
Add Reply
Johnny Brananas
2011-12-12 18:58:31 UTC
In her recent good article on the Pyle ancestry behind Ludlow, Kent,
and Easton, Mrs. Fiske traced the line back to one William Pyle:
"According to the 1623 Visitation of Wiltshire, his wife was ______
Benger, daughter of [possibly John] Benger of Pewsey,
Wiltshire" (NEHGR 165:122). In a footnote to this, she notes that
"[o]n 5 July 1511, George Benger of Pewsey, brother and heir of John
Benger, deceased, gent., quitclaimed rights in several
parishes ..." (citing a document at the Wiltshire and Swindon
archives).

Page 10 of the 1634 Bucks. Visitation has a pedigree for "Berenger of
Iver," which includes an early individual named "John Berenger of
Peusey, [co] Southampton, Esquire." Some of his descendants continued
at Manningford and Marlborough, Wiltshire, before going to
Buckinghamshire.

http://www.archive.org/stream/visitationofcoun5859byuphil#page/10/mode/2up/search/pope

Could Berenger be the same as Benger? I notice that the _Wiltshire
Archaeological and Natural History Magazine_ mentions arms of
"Berenger, or Benneger of Manningford and Marborough, descended from
Pewsey, co. Southampton."

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZV1IAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA224&dq=berenger+pewsey&hl=en&ei=P0fmTqfJKI-UtweTs9nnBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=berenger%20pewsey&f=false

One could see how "Benger" might derive from "Benneger."
Derek Howard
2011-12-13 09:34:59 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
[...]
"Dictionary of British Arms, Medieval Ordinary", ed Woodcock and
Flower, vol 3, 171, gives 12 references, from a range of dates, to
Berenger (plus 2 variant spellings), 6 of which are identified as a
(Sir) Ingram, bearing the arms: Or a cross (Azure or Vert) over all a
bend Gules. Two further references to Or a cross Vert over all a bend
Gules are attributed to Benger. So it would seem that, unless a herald
had misattributed arms, Benger and Berenger were displaying the same
blason and are probably spelling variants.

Derek Howard
J Cook
2011-12-13 12:22:31 UTC
With the Pyle family being descended from the armigerous Benger,
Fraine (Freyne) and Horne (Hornes) families, has no direct royal
connection been made for this family yet?

Joe C
J Cook
2011-12-13 13:06:44 UTC
Post by Johnny Brananas
In her recent good article on the Pyle ancestry behind Ludlow, Kent,
"According to the 1623 Visitation of Wiltshire, his wife was ______
Benger, daughter of [possibly John] Benger of Pewsey,
Wiltshire" (NEHGR 165:122).  In a footnote to this, she notes that
"[o]n 5 July 1511, George Benger of Pewsey, brother and heir of John
Benger, deceased, gent., quitclaimed rights in several
parishes ..." (citing a document at the Wiltshire and Swindon
archives).
This John Benger, brother of George, is mentioned in a few places as
the younger, son of John Benger, the elder. John Benger the younger
evidently was the husband of Anne Sotewell, and they died without male
heir.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=190-9_3&cid=1-1-6#1-1-6
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/records.aspx?cat=190-9_3&cid=-1#-1

In Jan 1447, John and Anne were left property by Anne's mother Joan,
late wife of Richard Sotewell.

Joan was the daughter of Edward Deane, and Richard Sotewell was the
son of Roger Sotewell and Alicia, heir of Jacob Standon.
l***@gmail.com
2018-07-01 05:43:06 UTC
My Surname is Benger and I have been looking into my ancestry quite lightly, through ancestry.ca and a small family run website. The closest I could find of Royal relations is George Benger(1575-1613) marrying Alice Chandler(1579-1614) from Oare. I found it odd that it had her last name in the records so I attempted to follow her line and found she is potentially descended from Nicholas DeChaundeler son of Gilbert de L’Aigle DeChaundeler II whose father may have married Isabel Ida Plantagenet Countess of Norfolk who comes from a long line of Upper Class British and French families. Worth looking into. I haven’t found much on where the Benger came from. My oldest records are from Wiltshire and Ingelram Benger was recorded to have no children so it seems unlikely that it comes from him directly. But the area of Sutton Benger state that the area was named after a lord in the area with the last name Berringer but people misspelling and incorrectly pronounced the last name for years.