Jenkin Conway, Mary Herbert
Add Reply
Peter Hall
2015-01-24 11:17:12 UTC
Captain Jenkin Conway (1550 - 1614) granted land in Ireland. Married Mary Herbert the daughter of a Sir William Herbert, who apparently came to Ireland
at the same time as Jenkin Conway. Can anyone identify the William Herbert for me.
Thank you
Henry Soszynski
2015-01-25 00:39:35 UTC
On Sat, 24 Jan 2015 03:17:12 -0800 (PST), Peter Hall
Post by Peter Hall
Captain Jenkin Conway (1550 - 1614) granted land in Ireland. Married Mary Herbert the daughter of a Sir William Herbert, who apparently came to Ireland
at the same time as Jenkin Conway. Can anyone identify the William Herbert for me.
Thank you
This could be the ones you are interested in...
http://www.yeilding.com/genealogy/WilliamConqueror.htm

Caveat emptor

Cheers,
Henry Soszynski
Peter Hall
2015-01-25 07:13:37 UTC
Post by Peter Hall
Captain Jenkin Conway (1550 - 1614) granted land in Ireland. Married Mary Herbert the daughter of a Sir William Herbert, who apparently came to Ireland
at the same time as Jenkin Conway. Can anyone identify the William Herbert for me.
Thank you
Thank you Henry for your help in this matter.

Peter Hall
Jakub Mirza Lipka via
2015-01-25 20:40:11 UTC
The Sir William Herbert who was a fellow "undertaker" with Captain Jenkin Conway was Sir William Herbert of St Julians, county Monmouth. He insisted that his daughter and heiress Mary married a Herbert and, in 1598/9, she married her 15 year old cousin. The Mary whom Jenkin Conway married was, according to Burke, the daughter of Sir William Herbert of Colebrooke.

------------------

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/herbert-sir-william-1554-93

-----

"The Seignory of Castle Island on the death of Sir William Herbert passed to his only child Mary Herbert, who married her cousin Edward, Lord Herbert of Cherbury, a youth of fifteen afterwards one of the most eccentric thinkers and writers of his time.
https://archive.org/stream/selectionsfromol00hick#page/n389/mode/2up/search/%22william+herbert%22

-----

"But Mary was lucky - at least so it seems. She married the dashing, young beau of the time, Edward, Lord Herbert of Cherbury, who was a member of the family's Montgomeryshire branch and thus "a cousin". Lord Herbert of Cherbury writes in his Life: "I had not been many months in the University (i.e. Oxford) but the news was brought to me of my father's death. … Shortly after I was sent again to my studies in Oxford, where I had not been long but that an overture for a match with the daughter and heir of Sir William Herbert of St. Julians was made .... Mary, after her father died, continued unmarried until she was one-and-twenty; none of the Herberts appearing in all that time, who, either in age or fortune, was fit to match her. About this time I had attained the age of fifteen, and a match at last being proposed, yet, notwithstanding the disparity of years betwixt us, upon the eight-and-twentieth of February 1598 in the house of Eyton . . . I espoused her".

http://www.caerleon.net/archive/literature/glh/35herberts.htm

------

"Sir Thomas Blennerhassett, and his son, Robert, obtained a part of the Earl of Desmond's large possessions, Robert m. Elizabeth Conway, dau. of Captain Jenkin Conway, by Mary, dau. of Sir William Herbert (of the Colebrooke branch of the Herberts)"

https://books.google.co.uk/books?pg=PA102&dq=blennerhassett+conway&ei=8z_FVLyhMIO1UYfpg4gG&id=ZU59tRkdl2MC&output=text
Peter Hall
2015-01-26 09:25:31 UTC
There seem to be a number of William Herberts of Colebrooke, I will work through all those that fit into the time frame. Thank you
j***@gmail.com
2018-07-01 19:35:45 UTC
The Mary Herbert who was the daughter of the William Herbert described as an undertaker is different to the one who married Jenkin Conway. She married Edward Herbert 1st Baron Herbert of Chirbury. In Burke's Peerage Mary's father is named as William Herbert of the Colebrooke branch of the family. This would make him an ancestor of William Herbert of Colebrooke, the son of Richard Herbert of Colebrooke (d. 1469). Since William Herbert's father was executed in 1469 he was born before this, maybe 1460, I can't find anything saying when he was born. Mary Herbert might have been born around 1550-1555, so her father was born around 1515. So most likely Mary Herbert is the son of Sir William Herbert of Colebrooke, who is a son of another Sir William Herbert of Colebrooke who is the son of Sir Richard Herbert of Colebrooke(d. 1469).
There is some info here: http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Herbert/sir.richard.html