Mother identified of Sir Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton
Brian Hessick
2017-05-16 19:00:04 UTC
The will of Peter (or Piers) Drayton of St. Michael Cornhill, London, written in 1518, and proven 2 August 1518. He was son and heir of Robert Drayton of St. Mildred Poultry, London, by his (1st) wife Jane d/o Piers (or Peter) Peckham Esq., of Denham, Bucks. , Peter Drayton died in 1518. His sister Jane, wid. of (1st) Richard Lucy and (2nd) William Wriothesley, York Herald, became heir. Religious affiliation: Catholic.

PROB 11/19/121

In the name of God, and our Lady, and my patron St. Michael, I, Peter DRAYTON clerk, being of perfect memory and good mind, thanks to God, make this my last will and testament. First, I bequeath my soul to the mercy of God; and my body to be buried in the chancel of St. Michael’s church in Cornhill at the coming in of the door of the quere*, or else in any other place as God pleases to dispose. Also, I give to buy an altar cloth to the high altar, £6 13s 4p. Also, I give to be distributed amongst poor people within my parish, £6 13s 4p willing that poor householders and most impotent persons shall be principally relieved by it. And the funeral costs discharged and all my debts paid, I will that my sister Jane YORK widow, shall have the one half of the residue of my goods, and the other half to be distributed equally to her three children, Thomas, Anne, and Edward, by her discretion so that they be ruled by her, or else to obtain no part of it but all to be hers freely. And I will that if they be ruled by her that then Anne, her daughter, have her portion at the time of her marriage or else at the age of 21 years; and Thomas and Edward, her sons, at the age of 24 years, or else sooner as she shall please. And if that any of them depart this world afore they have received their portion, then I will that the said portion shall be freely pertaining to Jane, my sister (their mother) aforenamed. And I ordain the said Jane YORK widow, my sister, sole and only exex of this my last will and testament. In witness of the which I have written this testament and subscribed it the year of our Lord 1518.

The testament of the abovesaid deceased, having etc., was proved before the Lord at Lambeth on the 2nd day of August Anno Domini 1518, by the oath of Jane YORK widow, the exex named in the same testament, for that the same exex expressly refused to assume the burden of the execution of the said testament, and administration was granted of the goods and debts of the said deceased to the foresaid Jane YORK by way of an intestacy, sworn on the Holy Gospels to well and faithfully admin, and to exhibit a full inventory before the Feast of St. Bartholomew the Apostle next to come, and also to render a plain and true account.
wjhonson
What makes you think that this Jane was the mother of Thomas Wriothesley?
John Higgins
2017-05-19 01:06:52 UTC
Post by Brian Hessick
[...]
See “The Wriothesley Tomb in Titchfield Church: Its Effigial Statues and Heraldry”, by Benjamin W. Greenfield, published in Hampshire Field Club and Archaeological Society, Papers and Proceedings, vol. 1 no. 3 (1889), pp. 65ff (particularly the folded pedigree following page 82).

This source is available via Google Books, but the folded pedigree containing the pertinent information was carelessly scanned by Google and is unreadable.