Goring Family of Burton, Sussex
m***@mac.com
2007-10-17 20:04:27 UTC
The Goring Family seated at Burton, Sussex is ancestral to (among
others), the late Princess Diana, Prince Charles, and the Ironmonger
emigrants to Virginia. They are also ancestral to Rose (Stoughton)
Otis of Dover, NH. Her ancestor Edmund Lewkenor m. Joan Tyrrell, the
probable daughter of Jasper and Anne (Goring) Tyrrell. Anne is
probably the daughter of John and Joan (Hewster) Goring. This John is
sandwiched between two other Johns, both of whom leave wills in PCC.
The Visitation of Sussex, pp. 45-6 has the pedigree of this family and
in the earliest generations, just in the male line. This information
also appears in Burke's Peerage and the CP (sub Norwich). We can use
the chronology of the Lewkenor family to aid in setting Anne in this
family.

Edmund and Joan (Tyrell) are having children beginning in 1530, she is
likely born say 1505-1510. That would put her mother's birth at about
1480-90. She cannot be the daughter of John Goring and Constance
Dyke. His will is prob. Feb. 1520/1 (as John Gorynge of Burketon,
Sussex), PCC Mainwaring, and names his unmarried daughters as Sybella,
Eleanor, Jane and Anne.

The first John Goring's will is prob. Nov. 1495 (as John Gwyng, PCC
Vox). He mentions his son John, John's wife Joanne, William, Richard,
Anne, Johanne, his brothers and sisters (i.e. the younger John's
siblings) and Elizabeth and Thomas Dyke, also siblings to the younger
John. This is the man who married Margaret Ramylde (given as Rodnell
in the Visitation) and married secondly Eleanor (Pagenham) Dyke, widow
of Henry Dyke and mother of the Constance Dyke who would marry, the
last of these John Gorings. He is born to early to be the father of
Anne (Goring) Tyrrell. There, the middle John Goring, for whom we
have no will, born say 1450 is the probable father of Anne, based on
chronology alone.

Has anyone studied this family for these generations?
WJhonson
2007-10-17 20:19:49 UTC
<<In a message dated 10/17/07 13:05:25 Pacific Daylight Time, ***@mac.com writes:
Edmund and Joan (Tyrell) are having children beginning in 1530, she is
likely born say 1505-1510. >>

--------------
So you are disputing that Richard Lewknor, Chief Justice of Chester who d 6 Apr 1616 "aged 76" is their grandson ?

Will Johnson
m***@mac.com
2007-10-17 20:48:16 UTC
On Oct 17, 4:19 pm, WJhonson <***@aol.com> wrote:
> <<In a message dated 10/17/07 13:05:25 Pacific Daylight Time, ***@mac.com writes:
> Edmund and Joan (Tyrell) are having children beginning in 1530, she is
> likely born say 1505-1510. >>
>
> --------------
> So you are disputing that Richard Lewknor, Chief Justice of Chester who d 6 Apr 1616 "aged 76" is their grandson ?
>
> Will Johnson

Tangmere Parish Records 1538-1812
LDS Role #0504433
"A Calendar of the Parish Register of Tangmere, Sussex 1538-1812" by
W.D. Peckham (1931)

Baptisms p.1

1538/9 27 January Thomas s. of Edmond Lewkenour gent
1540 12 May Anne d of Edmond Lewkenour gent
1541/2 14 March Richard s of Edmond " "
1542 1 November George s of Edmond " "
1543 18 December Edmond s of Edmond " "
1544 4 April Jane d. of Richard Stoughton
1546 16 October Elizabeth d. of Richard Stoughton

Marriages p. 17

16 July 1543 Richard Stoughton and Agnes (illeg)

Burials p. 25

1545/6 12 March Edmond Lewkenor gent
1546 30 October Elizabeth d. Richard Stoughton
1546 27 (illeg) Anne Tyrell

Will of Edmund Lewkenor of Tangmere (PCC 30-1 Pynning)
"after my death to the care and behaufe of my children and [something]
shall think good that [something] to Elizabeth my daughter fortie
pounds, to anne, my daughter to Richard my sonne, 20 pounds, george my
sonne fiftie pounds, and to Edmund my sonne thirtie pounds, I bequeath
to Joane my wife. Son Thomas named eldest. mentions daughters
Elizabeth and Anne again.

So Edmund indeed did have a daughter Elizabeth born probably prior to
1538 when the Tangmere records begin who was alive when Edmund signed
his will prior to his death in 1545/6. Since we know Thomas Stoughton
was born in 1521 and his children were born between 1554 and 1558, we
can guess his wife was born about 1530-4. This fits well with this
Elizabeth.

So, you do the math.
WJhonson
2007-10-17 21:50:51 UTC
A while back, on this same *extended* family you had posted

3. Richard Lewkenor, Chief Justice of Wales, living 1588/9 m. Margaret (---)
4. Sir Richard Lewkenor, Chief Justice of Chester, d. 6 April 1616, aged 76 m. Eleanor Broome
5. Richard Lewkenor, d. 9 March 1602, aged 34
6. Richard Lewkenor, Esquire, d. 27 May 1635, m. Mary Bennett
See John Comber, Sussex Genealogies, Lewes Center, pp. 148-156.
I belived the Sussex Visitations of 1530 and 1633-4 gives the same line
except to get rid of generaiton #5 and go from 4 directly to 6.

-----------
That there were three Richard's in a row as Sussex Genealogies, but contradicting Sussex Visitations we have this
http://books.google.com/books?id=nmMJAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA483&lpg=PA483&dq=%22richard+lewknor%22+wales&source=web&ots=x8ELIzR-3j&sig=etGxkBqF8p7uzlG-ECeDzq1HTag#PPA483,M1

stating by Richard's own application that his father was Richard deceased, heir-apparent (as he d.v.p.), and grandfather was also Richard, "Chief Justice of Chester"

Will
h***@gmail.com
2007-10-17 22:39:49 UTC
Two things: (1) when I posted that you asked the question if anyone
could fill in the generations from one Lewkenor to another. I did so
and cited to a source, a secondary source. I never claimed the line
was good or well-researched. It is not my branch of the Lewkenor
family.

(2) You are a rude person for hijacking yet another one of my
threads. This is about the Goring family. The salient question, for
anyone with half a brain, was about them and not the Lewkenors and
certainly not the Lewkenors well below chronologically what I wrote.
If you wanted to ask a question about them, you should have started a
separate thread.
m***@mac.com
2007-10-17 20:24:02 UTC
I should add that the above-named Margaret Radmylde was the daughter
of Ralph Radmlyde who d. 3 Aug 1443 and was married to Margaret
Camoys, b. 1402, daughter of Sir Richard Camoys and Joan Poynings.
This last couple are also the parents of Eleanor Camoys, b. 1408, wife
of Sir Roger Lewkenor, the paternal grandparents of Edmund Lewkenor.
Thus, Edmund Lewkenor and Joan Tyrell were second cousins, twice
removed through the Camoys family.
John Higgins
2007-10-21 20:53:50 UTC
The note below gives the following sequence for three of the various John
Gorings:

1. John Goring (will proved Nov. 1495); m. (1) Margaret Radmilde
2. John Goring; m. Joan Hewster
3. John Goring (will proved Feb. 1520/1); m. Constance Dyke

The note also says that the 1st John Goring m. (2) Eleanor Pagenham, widow
of Henry Dyke and mother of Constance who m, the 3rd John Goring. If so,
Eleanor Pagenham was both the mother-in-law and the step-grandmother of the
3rd John Goring.

But BP (at least in its 106th and 107th editions) has a somewhat different
version. It says that the 2nd wife of the 1st John Goring was Joan, widow
of Humphrey Hewster of London, and also that the 2nd John Goring m. "his
stepmother's hus. Humphrey Hewster's dau. Joan". The wording seems to
indicate that Joan Hewster the wife of the 2nd John (who d. shortly after
his father, per BP) was the daughter of Humphrey Hewster by a wife other
than Humphrey's widow Joan, and thus Joan the widow of Humphrey was the
stepmother of both the 2nd John Goring and his wife Joan. Does this make
sense?

BP's version doesn't seem to jibe with the 1495 will cited below. Can
anyone shed any light on this disagreement? Is it possible that the 1495
will is in fact for the 2nd John Goring? Perhaps he, not his father, was
the one who mar. Eleanor Pagenham, the mother of his son's wife.

f***@gmail.com
2017-09-19 11:48:22 UTC
On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 4:04:27 PM UTC-4, ***@mac.com wrote:
> The Goring Family seated at Burton, Sussex is ancestral to (among
> others), the late Princess Diana, Prince Charles, and the Ironmonger
> emigrants to Virginia. They are also ancestral to Rose (Stoughton)
> Otis of Dover, NH. Her ancestor Edmund Lewkenor m. Joan Tyrrell, the
> probable daughter of Jasper and Anne (Goring) Tyrrell. Anne is
> probably the daughter of John and Joan (Hewster) Goring. This John is
> sandwiched between two other Johns, both of whom leave wills in PCC.
> The Visitation of Sussex, pp. 45-6 has the pedigree of this family and
> in the earliest generations, just in the male line. This information
> also appears in Burke's Peerage and the CP (sub Norwich). We can use
> the chronology of the Lewkenor family to aid in setting Anne in this
> family.
>
> Edmund and Joan (Tyrell) are having children beginning in 1530, she is
> likely born say 1505-1510. That would put her mother's birth at about
> 1480-90. She cannot be the daughter of John Goring and Constance
> Dyke. His will is prob. Feb. 1520/1 (as John Gorynge of Burketon,
> Sussex), PCC Mainwaring, and names his unmarried daughters as Sybella,
> Eleanor, Jane and Anne.
>
> The first John Goring's will is prob. Nov. 1495 (as John Gwyng, PCC
> Vox). He mentions his son John, John's wife Joanne, William, Richard,
> Anne, Johanne, his brothers and sisters (i.e. the younger John's
> siblings) and Elizabeth and Thomas Dyke, also siblings to the younger
> John. This is the man who married Margaret Ramylde (given as Rodnell
> in the Visitation) and married secondly Eleanor (Pagenham) Dyke, widow
> of Henry Dyke and mother of the Constance Dyke who would marry, the
> last of these John Gorings. He is born to early to be the father of
> Anne (Goring) Tyrrell. There, the middle John Goring, for whom we
> have no will, born say 1450 is the probable father of Anne, based on
> chronology alone.
>
> Has anyone studied this family for these generations?

Even while it always seems to be about you amerikeens (the self absorbed and poorly educated) I have a conundrum.

From the visitations of Hamnts. 1530 etc I have Elizabeth Creswell/Cresswell sp. of Sir Henry Goring. There are no progeny from this union. The pedigrees (and picture, the tree) provides few dates.

The question is this Henry husband/sp of Dorothy Everard? http://www.thepeerage.com/p12310.htm#i123091
and Elizabeth Creswell??

Sincerely
James Waddell
Sudbury Ontario

ps despite the acrimony the work in the thread is well done; respect.
wjhonson
2017-09-19 16:04:08 UTC
On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 4:48:24 AM UTC-7, ***@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, October 17, 2007 at 4:04:27 PM UTC-4, ***@mac.com wrote:
> > The Goring Family seated at Burton, Sussex is ancestral to (among
> > others), the late Princess Diana, Prince Charles, and the Ironmonger
> > emigrants to Virginia. They are also ancestral to Rose (Stoughton)
> > Otis of Dover, NH. Her ancestor Edmund Lewkenor m. Joan Tyrrell, the
> > probable daughter of Jasper and Anne (Goring) Tyrrell. Anne is
> > probably the daughter of John and Joan (Hewster) Goring. This John is
> > sandwiched between two other Johns, both of whom leave wills in PCC.
> > The Visitation of Sussex, pp. 45-6 has the pedigree of this family and
> > in the earliest generations, just in the male line. This information
> > also appears in Burke's Peerage and the CP (sub Norwich). We can use
> > the chronology of the Lewkenor family to aid in setting Anne in this
> > family.
> >
> > Edmund and Joan (Tyrell) are having children beginning in 1530, she is
> > likely born say 1505-1510. That would put her mother's birth at about
> > 1480-90. She cannot be the daughter of John Goring and Constance
> > Dyke. His will is prob. Feb. 1520/1 (as John Gorynge of Burketon,
> > Sussex), PCC Mainwaring, and names his unmarried daughters as Sybella,
> > Eleanor, Jane and Anne.
> >
> > The first John Goring's will is prob. Nov. 1495 (as John Gwyng, PCC
> > Vox). He mentions his son John, John's wife Joanne, William, Richard,
> > Anne, Johanne, his brothers and sisters (i.e. the younger John's
> > siblings) and Elizabeth and Thomas Dyke, also siblings to the younger
> > John. This is the man who married Margaret Ramylde (given as Rodnell
> > in the Visitation) and married secondly Eleanor (Pagenham) Dyke, widow
> > of Henry Dyke and mother of the Constance Dyke who would marry, the
> > last of these John Gorings. He is born to early to be the father of
> > Anne (Goring) Tyrrell. There, the middle John Goring, for whom we
> > have no will, born say 1450 is the probable father of Anne, based on
> > chronology alone.
> >
> > Has anyone studied this family for these generations?
>
> Even while it always seems to be about you amerikeens (the self absorbed and poorly educated) I have a conundrum.
>
> From the visitations of Hamnts. 1530 etc I have Elizabeth Creswell/Cresswell sp. of Sir Henry Goring. There are no progeny from this union. The pedigrees (and picture, the tree) provides few dates.
>
> The question is this Henry husband/sp of Dorothy Everard? http://www.thepeerage.com/p12310.htm#i123091
> and Elizabeth Creswell??
>
> Sincerely
> James Waddell
> Sudbury Ontario
>
> ps despite the acrimony the work in the thread is well done; respect.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vPYMAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA46#v=onepage&q=goring&f=false
Vis Sussex, "Goring"