Tories (a little off topic)
Nicole Forsgren
2017-04-14 21:29:01 UTC
I know this is not in the Medieval time period, but I thought someone on here might be able to help me...
I came across reference to two of my grandfathers: Elisha Martindale and Edward Martindale(I'm assuming Edward Curtis Martindale, given the timeline) in a letter written by the people of Lennox to their government leaders.
In it the people were upset that (summarizing): The problem with the Tories wandering free has not been addressed. They listed the two Martindale men by name in the letter.
I am still trying to fill in some blanks on these two men (specifically the name of Edward Curtis Martindale's wife. I only have her first name and not 100% that's accurate.
Does anyone know a source of court documents/information about the Tories who were tried in Massachusetts? I thought maybe it would be a new place to look for information on these men.
I'm fairly certain they both ran to Canada shortly after this letter because all of Edward's children were born there and both men died there (as far as I've been able to ascertain).
FYI: The book I found this letter in is called: History of Lenox and Richmond by Charles J. Palmer
Nicole
taf
2017-04-14 22:10:54 UTC
Post by Nicole Forsgren
In it the people were upset that (summarizing): The problem with the Tories
wandering free has not been addressed. They listed the two Martindale men
by name in the letter.
Does anyone know a source of court documents/information about the Tories
who were tried in Massachusetts?
I don't know that many were. In most cases it was more a social offence than a criminal one, and they were more likely to be harassed out of town by the mob than prosecuted by the courts.

taf
Nicole Forsgren

Nicole
taf
2017-04-15 00:56:38 UTC
Post by Nicole Forsgren
they had a fair & impertial Trial before a Special Court of the General
Sessions of the Peace & a very respectable Jury for that Purpose, were found
Well, that tells you the court - the records of the Court of General Sessions. Probably held by the Massachusetts Judicial Archive (their records are deposited with the Mass State Archive, but administered separately and special arrangements have to be made in advance, in writing, to consult these records, which have not been filmed).

taf
Nicole Forsgren
Nicole
taf
2017-04-15 02:06:59 UTC
Post by Nicole Forsgren
I wasn't sure if that was the actual name of the court or just them
describing it.
That's its name. And each county had one, if I remember correctly.
Post by Nicole Forsgren
Of course I'm no where near Massachusetts, so getting to see any records
not digitalized or put on film would be impossible at the moment. I was
hoping there would be an online source. At least I have a new search topic.
Pretty much all the records of these Mass county courts are the personal domain of a single archivist, and all requests to consult them have to go through her.

taf
melmmart@yahoo.com
2018-04-29 21:17:33 UTC
Post by Nicole Forsgren
[...]
Edward is Elisha's brother. Edward Curtis Martindale is Elisha's son,born 1765.