Alice (Ada) Chippingdale married 1st to Henry Sapcote, Mayor of Lincoln and 2nd to William Goodrick of Nether Toynton
Add Reply
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-04-27 21:30:53 UTC
Good day,

I have looking for information regarding the parents of Winifred Spacote who married Lionel Goodrick, and while searching for information on her parents Henry Sapcote, Mayor of Lincoln and Jane Smyth, I came across a couple of things that I think have identified the family his 2nd wife Alice came from.

In Lincolnshire Notes and Queries, Volume 2 the section on Henry Sapcote makes mention of George Chippingdale who is referred to as a brother-in-law of Henry Sapcote, but the individual making the query was unsure of the connection creating the relationship between the two. It is linked below.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=fBktAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA26&lpg=PA26&dq=VARIOUS+WILLS+lincolnshire+%22henry+sapcote%22&source=bl&ots=Kb3vRelxqw&sig=nmN0v3A_zt9Qk-XJ4fWDZDShpMs&hl=en&sa=X&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=VARIOUS%20WILLS%20lincolnshire%20%22henry%20sapcote%22&f=false

I stumbled across a catalogue entry at Nottingham Archives which is for a marriage settlement for William Goodrick and Alice Sapcote widow of Henry Sapcote, Mayor of Lincoln. I found this interesting, because the trustees for the settlement were Lyon Goodrick, Edward Spacote, George Chippingdale and Roger Oliver, and that it identified Alice Sapcote as the widow of Henry Sapcote. It is linked and outlined below.

http://nawcat.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/DServe/dserve.exe?dsqServer=AP266-0029&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqCmd=show.tcl&dsqSearch=(RefNo==%22DD%201355%2FA%2FD%2FC%2F65%22)

Level Item
Repository GB 0157 Nottinghamshire Archives
ReferenceNo DD/1355/65
FullCatalogue View collection catalogue
AccessionNo 3605
Title Marriage settlement
Date 20 Dec 1554
Extent 1 doc
ContentDescription
(1) William Gudricke of Nethertoynton [Low Toynton, Lincolnshire] gentleman
(2) Alice Sapcote, widow formerly wife of late Henry Sapcote, gentleman
(3) Leonard Gudricke, esq; Edward Sapcote, gentleman; George Chippingdale; and Roger Oliver, trustees

Reciting intended marriage of (1) and (2) now (1) to (3) for marriage settlement and specified uses of (1) and (2) of all messuages, tofts, cottages, crofts, dovecotes, lands, meadows etc, in Low Toynton, Grainsby, High Toynton and Tetford [Lincolnshire]. Warranty clause.

Dated 20 Dec 1 and 2 Philip and Mary, 1554.

Parchment; signature and seal of (1).

Badly stained.
AccessStatus Open
Language Latin

Digging a little deeper into the connection between the Sapcotes and the Chippingdales I found a pedigree that identifies Alice (Ada in the pedigree) as a sister of George Chippingdale and wife of Henry Sapcott of Elton, co. Huntingdon. It is linked below.

https://archive.org/stream/pedigreeregister01sociuoft#page/98/mode/2up/search/george+chippingdale

If anyone could shed any further light on this matter, I would be interested.

Thanks,
Jordan Vandenberg.
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-04-28 13:37:56 UTC
I just noticed a thread from 2014, which makes mention of William Goodrick of Nether Toynton and his wife Alice Sapcote, and Ken Rolston mentions that her maiden name had been stated, but that she had a 3rd husband after William Goodrick of Nether Toynton named Thomas Malet (Mallett).

Link below to the thread: Rolston of Tanshelf in Pontefract, Part 1.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/soc.genealogy.medieval/william$20nether$20toynton%7Csort:relevance/soc.genealogy.medieval/c4LPNOxhHoM/AkxMl123AKcJ
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
Jordan Vandenberg.
Ken Rolston
2017-04-28 19:40:52 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Good one Jordan, you have just returned the favour.
I have been perplexed for quite some time about the identity of Alice Sapcote, not knowing whether Sapcote was her maiden name or previous married name. Being married to Henry Sapcote of Lincoln comes as a big surprise.

We know that Henry had 7 sons and 6 daughters, but nowhere have I seen birth dates or marriage dates of those children, so it is difficult to determine whether all of his issue were from Jane his first wife. Jane died 1546 and with all of those children, Henry must have been in need of a wife/housekeeper/substitute mother. I would assume that Alice Chippingdale married him soon after, perhaps within a year and unless she had already been married, she was probably moderately young, most likely in her 20's or even 30's. Henry died about 6 years later in 1553, therefore it seems sensible that some of those younger children may have been issue from Alice.

Alice was widowed in 1553 and you found a marriage settlement dated Dec 1554, so it is likely that Alice and William Goodricke married around that time. Some marriage settlements were agreed before marriage but not always, some were signed after marriage.
William died 1561 (based on IPM information C 142/134/211) and his only daughter Anne was 4 years old and more, born about 1555/56, so only a year or so after the marriage. Why no more children after Anne? Possibly we could speculate that Alice went past child bearing age, approx 45 years. That would place her birth about 1511 and her age at about 35 or possibly a little less when she married Henry. That does allow time for an unknown marriage before Henry.

Sometime after William Goodricke's death, Alice took her young daughter Anne with her and relocated to Yorkshire, to the area of Featherston or Normanton near Pontefract. I have not been able to determine when or why this relocation occurred.

On 24 Feb 1576 Anne Goodricke married Edward Rowlston, son of Edward Rowlston of Cridling Stubbs in Womersley parish and wife Mabel Anne, daughter of Gabriel Anne of Cridling Park.

Alice Chippingdale/Sapcote/Goodricke married Thomas Mallet of Normanton, date mot known. There werre Mallets at Monkrode in Featherston parish and Thomas may have been of that family. Since Alice held Nether Toynton and William's other lands in her own right, Thomas Mallet apparently went there to manage the property. He was buried at Nether Toynton 11 August 1576 (N.Toynton parish register, the only Mallet in the register).

After her marriage at age 19 and death of her step-father Thomas, Anne came into possession of the lands in her own right as heir of William Goodricke. Edward Rowlston is recorded "of Nether Toynton, gent" in 1583, also perhaps managing the property in right of his wife. He died before 1593 and Anne remarried 21 July 1593 to Paul Hamerton of Monkrode, esquire, as his 2nd wife, and they had issue 2 sons and 2 daughters.

There is evidence that Alice Mallet may have survived past 1597 when Edward Rowlston (grandson) and Alice Mallet, both of Cobcrofte in Cridling Stubbs, were listed as reputed recusants. If the age estimates are correct, she would then be about 86 years old, a good age.

Ken Rolston.
Jordan Vandenberg
Jordan Vandenberg.
Ken Rolston
2017-04-28 22:18:53 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Yes indeed, an interesting situation. And I had the intriguing thought that perhaps Winifred could have been Alice's daughter, but in fact Winifred had to be born roughly 10 years before Jane Smyth, Henry's 1st wife died, so we can forget about that one.

A couple of small corrections:
The marriage settlement was for the "intended marriage", therefore Alice & William married soon after 20 Dec 1554.
The reputed recusants at Cobcrofte were Thomas Rowlston and Alice Mallet, not Edward Rowlston. Thomas may have been Edward's son and Alice's grandson.

I stated that I did not know why Alice & Anne relocated to Yorkshire near Pontefract. The Chippingdale connection might provide an answer... Chippingdales were at Skipton-in-Craven which is just 33 miles NW from Pontefract. Alice might have travelled there to join family and then grew social contacts in Featherstone and Normanton area, including marriages for both of them.

In the marriage settlement, the trustees were Leonard Gudricke (ident not known), Edward Sapcote, gent (eldest son of Henry & Jane, step-son to Alice), George Chippingdale, gent (brother to Alice), Roger Oliver (unknown).

Ken.
Jordan Vandenberg
Ken.
Ken Rolston
2017-04-28 22:39:56 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Yes, thank you, fair comment.
Roger Oliver may be of the Olivers who were also at Skipton, so possibly related to the Chippingdales.

Ken
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-04-28 22:56:33 UTC
I was curious about who Roger Oliver was. You are likely right that there is a connection with the Chippingdales given the Skipton connection.
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-04-28 22:44:51 UTC
Ken, you mentioned you were curious which of Henry Sapcotes children were born of Alice. James Cummings suggested in his original post of the Who Was Henry Sapcote? thread that the possible children that Henry Sapcote bore with Alice were his children: Jerome, George, Mary and Anne.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/FKw5Xwj3H9M

Also, your reasoning for the relocation of Alice and Anne to Yorkshire makes sense.

Jordan.
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
Jordan Vandenberg.
Ken Rolston
2017-04-29 15:02:55 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Quote:
"James Cummings suggested in his original post of the Who Was Henry Sapcote? thread that the possible children that Henry Sapcote bore with Alice were his children: Jerome, George, Mary and Anne."

Can James enighten us why he thinks those 4 children were born of Alice? Are there dates for their births?

James also noted that Alice died after 1578. That's correct but quite a long time after,in the 1590's. I think that date was picked up from Edward Sapcote's will (son of Henry), of 10 July 1578. In the will (TNA: PROB 11/60/550), Edward bequeathed "to the last wife of my father forty shillings yearly during her life to be paid out of the first & second row of closes at the Bargate which yearly hitherto of my benevolence she has received".

That of course was Alice and she must have been on very good terms with her step-son, who granted that she continue to receive an annuity of 40s for life.

Edward also bequeathed "to Mr Chippingdale a hoop ring of gold to the value of 26s... and he shall have his close (in Lincoln?) that he holdeth of me during the old years, paying the rent to my executors that he now payeth to me."

Ken Rolston.
Ken Rolston
2017-06-12 22:41:23 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Here we are at last....
I have transcribed the Will of Henry Sapcote of Lincoln, dated 21 January 1553.
He has some interesting information in it, he held several parcels of lands and various houses, and leases of a number of parsonages that he bequeathed to family.
He leaves items to Amy Hollingworth his daughter, to George, Thomas, Henry, Jerome, John and Nicholas his sons, to Jane Dowman his daughter, to Dorothy his daughter, to brother in law George Chippingdale and to godson John Chippingdale, to Amy the daughter of son Edward, to his brother William, parson of Waddington, to Wenefryd Goddricke his daughter and Mary his daughter, to Ann Sapcote daughter in law, and much goods and possessions to Alice his 2nd wife.

I have transcribed the Will of Edward Sapcote of Lincoln, esquire, dated 10 July 1578, eldest son and heir of Henry.
He left bequests to Henry his eldest son & heir, to Elizabeth Burnabie his daughter, to Thomas Burnabie son in law, to Richard Burnabie son of Thomas, niece Grace Dowman, Amy Wilson his kinswoman, George Sapcote, Alice Sapcote daughter of his brother Nicholas, William Kelke son in law. There is nothing left to his wife who must be deceased.

This will of Edward has been transcribed into modern English by Nina Green and published at www.oxford-shakespeare.com/probate/PROB_11_60_550.pdf from the National Archives version of the will, ref: PROB 11/60/550 and it was referenced in sgm on 3/2/2017. Nina Green claims copyright on that modern spelled version.
Interestingly, there is a discrepancy between the probate version and the Lincs Archives version. She quotes “to every of my women servants to whom there is none especial given, 3s 4d”. This line is correct by the Lincs version. She then quotes “ to every of my men servants to whom there is none especial legacy given, five shillings over and above their wages”. This bequest to the men servants is missing from the Lincs version. Of course it is a minor issue but it begs the question of potential errors in the primary records that we generally consider as being reliable.

I have transcribed the Will of George Chippingdale of Lincoln, gent, dated 13 June 1579. He leaves much to Mary his wife and to Edward his son, bequests to Ellin Richforthe and Mary Smithe his wive’s daughters, to Chrinn[?] Chippingdale and Mary her sister, daughters of his son John, to Ormond Hill son in law and Ellen Rustforthe daughter in law, to Richard Smith son in law, to Tobias Chippingdale son of Doctor Chippingdale his son and to Katherine the Doctor’s daughter, to Edmond Chippingdale his son (underage).
Of especial interest to me is his bequest “to Alice Mallet my sister in law and Roger Oliver her brother”. This is Alice, 2nd wife of Henry Sapcote and we thought she was a Chippingdale daughter. This makes it clear that she was born Alice Oliver and that she married 1st an unidentified Chippingdale who was brother of George. I had previously wondered whether there might be an early marriage for her because I estimated that she was in her 30’s when married to Henry. So now we know that she was Alice Oliver/Chippingdale/Sapcote/Goodricke/Mallet. We know only of one confirmed daughter, Ann Goodricke who married 1st Edward Rowlston and 2nd Paul Hamerton, but it is possible that some of Henry’s late issue could have been from her.

There is a lot of text to these 3 wills, so I have uploaded them into Dropbox. They may be viewed and downloaded at this link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xlxuss0j427ml9u/AADZApAPQ3ZmmLFYExXjBFoja?dl=0

Cheers
Ken.
Jordan Vandenberg
2017-06-13 12:25:15 UTC
Post by Ken Rolston
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
Thank you so much for taking the time to transcribe these wills and post them. There is indeed a lot of interesting and important information in them. I was surprised at the revelation that Alice was the sister of Roger Oliver and had an additional husband prior to Henry Sapcote.
Thanks again Ken.
Jordan.
Ken Rolston
2017-06-14 16:08:14 UTC
Post by Jordan Vandenberg
[...]
Date 20 Dec 1554
[...]
In George Chippingdale's will I gave a name as "Chrinn[?] Chippingdale". I have had a closer look at the name and am sure now that it reads "Chrian" with an abbreviation stroke above it. I now think that it is an abbreviation for "Christian".

Ken.