John Snow & Edith Hill m.1605 St. Mary's County Maryland -Hill Family
l***@gmail.com
2018-04-19 05:12:05 UTC
Hello again. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find more on Edith Hill's family in Stafford, England. I see a few wills online from her sons, Abell and Marmaduke Snow, but everything else is from Ancestry or Wikitree. Both Wikitree and Ancestry have her name as Judith. The wills clearly show that her name was Edith

It looks like she was the daughter or Edward Hill and Elizabeth _________ and the great-Granddaughter of Sir Roger Hill of Taunton. Burke shows a descent from Sir Roger as a footnote to another family in Landed Gentry, but I don't see any connection to Edith. Anything that you may be able to share is greatly appreciated.
Vance Mead
2018-04-19 12:55:58 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
It looks like she was the daughter or Edward Hill and Elizabeth _________ and the great-Granddaughter of Sir Roger Hill of Taunton. Burke shows a descent from Sir Roger as a footnote to another family in Landed Gentry, but I don't see any connection to Edith. Anything that you may be able to share is greatly appreciated.
There is a will of Roger Hill, merchant of Taunton, Soms. (PCC), made 6 January 1544, proved 1546.
Daughter Alice (not yet married)
Sons William and Robert
Daughter Margaret
Daughter Joan, late at Buckland
To John Hill "my eldest son"
Alexander Togwell, son-in-law
Wife and executrix Margery
l***@gmail.com
Thank you, Vance- I saw that last night.I will try and track down William, Robert or John.
wjhonson
2018-04-19 22:07:55 UTC
Post by Vance Mead
Post by l***@gmail.com
It looks like she was the daughter or Edward Hill and Elizabeth _________ and the great-Granddaughter of Sir Roger Hill of Taunton. Burke shows a descent from Sir Roger as a footnote to another family in Landed Gentry, but I don't see any connection to Edith. Anything that you may be able to share is greatly appreciated.
There is a will of Roger Hill, merchant of Taunton, Soms. (PCC), made 6 January 1544, proved 1546.
Daughter Alice (not yet married)
Sons William and Robert
Daughter Margaret
Daughter Joan, late at Buckland
To John Hill "my eldest son"
Alexander Togwell, son-in-law
Wife and executrix Margery
Just a small tid Vance.
The date of the will is 6 Jan 1544/5
l***@gmail.com
I think my head is about to explode. Not only is Ancestry.com just horrendous, now everyone is just copying all of the erroneous information onto Wikitree. Maybe it's time to just hang up my hobby and try tiddly-winks....
Vance Mead
2018-04-21 09:16:00 UTC
Roger Hill or Hyll doesn't seem to have been a knight. He is referred to as merchant, not knight, for example in this entry in Common Pleas in 1533, which is probably the same person.

Last entry:
http://aalt.law.uh.edu/H8/CP40no1076/aCP40no1076fronts/IMG_5252.htm

London. Henry Wyat, knight, treasurer of the King's chamber, and William Paulett, knight, versus John Newport, of Brugewater, Soms, merchant; Roger Hyll, of Taunton, Soms, merchant; and John Tose, of Taunton, merchant. For a debt of 10 marks from each of them.
Vance Mead
2018-04-21 11:40:33 UTC
There's a Herald's Visitation of Somerset with Roger Hill of Taunton:

https://archive.org/stream/visitationsofcou00beno#page/32/mode/2up
Vance Mead
2018-04-21 12:12:07 UTC
And a more complete pedigree, in 1623: