What might a document in the series "Signet and other warrants for the Privy Seal, certificates of homage" tell me?
Chris Hampson
2017-05-20 02:06:07 UTC
I've recently been looking at the Swynnerton family of Staffordshire, who were pretty well documented by one Canon Bridgeman. While doing general searches on the National Archives website I came across this http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6553377. Now, John son of John d.1408, proved his age in 1429, so that is one of the John's involved. But he died the following year and his successor was his uncle Thomas. There is no cousin John in the pedigrees I've looked at. So, now I have a bit of a mystery. Would this document be likely to have anything that might help explain this? Or is this just going to be another case of a scribe with too many Johns?
Vance Mead
2017-05-20 04:10:14 UTC
Certificates of homage are described here:

http://www.inquisitionspostmortem.ac.uk/blog/the-certificates-of-homage-some-preliminary-thoughts/
Chris Hampson
2017-05-20 13:54:32 UTC
Ah, I think this must then be a different error, it should be "John son and heir of John".
Thanks.